Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

6/1: Whirl of Color

Whirl of Color, Halloween Boo-cott, More... Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Whirl of Color - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• is satisfactual.

Re: 6/1: Whirl of Color

I really despise the whole apostrophe business. They're turning a series of strong, time-tested subbrands that oozed quality (Disney's, Walt Disney Pictures presents, Walt Disney) into the dumb, corporate-sounding "Disney."

"Disney Grand Floridian?" "Disney Animal Kingdom?" How is that better?

• Infinitized!

Can't wait to see the new Hollywoodland in the future.

• Disney friends are #1

I'm thinking they are thinking that the word "The" will automatically be placed in front of it instead. "The Disney Grand Floridian Hotel", "The Disney Animal Kingdom" etc. That makes it roll off the tongue a little better. It's still a mouthful in most instances but it is the only way I can consider how this change was signed off on. So, how much money is it going to cost to change over all the signage, hotel towels, napkins, guide books, park maps, etc. Just seems like a lot of balderdash to me.

That money could be spent elsewhere, like steam cleaners for the inside layers of the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure. The white cement we drive and park on looks nasty! Gum, stains, oil spots, skid marks, soda stains, etc. all combine to make the floors of the parking structure look like the surface of an inner city back ally. They don't need to clean it a lot, just every couple of months or so. As it is now, you can still see the stain where little Jimmy spilled his chocolate milk back in 2002. It really needs some attention, especially when they are charging non-PAP's $14.00 to park in there. Last Friday I was directed to park on the roof and the parking surface was beautiful, compared to it's lower level counterparts. Enough ranting. Love all the info Al. Your updates just keep getting better and better. Thanks for looking out for us all!

• Nutty about Disney parks

I think it's only fair that GC guests have first priority to good seats at World of Color. They can let DLH and PPH guests use GC's entrance as well so they can also get a chance at priority seating. It'll be like how Universal hotel guests get to have their own fastpasses.

• Fastest Man Alive

I like this. More and more, the future direction of the Hyperion Theater looks bright.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• They wanna know, HO!

Carnival of Color? Puppets on sticks. Sound a lot like Epcot's old Tapestry of Nations puppets might get reused...

Tapestry of Nations Parade

• Pilot EdForceOne

They don't delete posts from the Blogs - they just don't post them to start with
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I think it's only fair that GC guests have first priority to good seats at World of Color. They can let DLH and PPH guests use GC's entrance as well so they can also get a chance at priority seating. It'll be like how Universal hotel guests get to have their own fastpasses.
    Agreed, all 3 hotels and their guests should have priority. Period.

Originally TDA had plans for 11:00 PM park closing times and a third nightly show scheduled at 11:30 PM. But then TDA executives began to second-guess the popularity of World of Color, and considered DCA’s long curse of never quite living up to expectations. The worry was that if the show wasn’t the huge hit they expected, that pictures and reports on the Internet of a mostly empty third show and a deserted nighttime DCA, while Disneyland streets still brimmed with tourists through Midnight, would sabotage the plan to re-launch DCA as a successful theme park that people were actually willing to stay all day for.
    This was my thinking too Al, they have this habit of over-predicting how popular something is going to be, like DCA.

My problem is, if people think the park closes at 10:00 and there are only 2 WOC shows, and they don't hear the "Announcement" then they might leave and the 3rd show will be not full because of that.

IMO, the amount of work that a guest will have to put in to see the show it's first week is IMO not worth it, unless hanging at Disneyland until after the first WOC show and then heading to DCA for the 3rd show. But with a park that is 1/3 closed, it's going to be crazy.

Or one could get a dinner package, go eat at 4:00, and then go play for hours at Disneyland or in DCA and then show up in their preferred seating at 8:40.

• The Fantasyland guy

This is looking more and more like TDA is being run by my ex-GF. Can't decide what they want... Or how to do something? Yup it's run by her!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    Or one could get a dinner package, go eat at 4:00, and then go play for hours at Disneyland or in DCA and then show up in their preferred seating at 8:40.
    Even with preferred seating access - to think you can just show up 20mins ahead of time is probably fantasy. You can't really do that even with F! seating and still get a good view and that's with a much smaller group.

With upwards of thousands of people with 'priority seating' - all it will basically mean is you don't have to wait in line for a fastpass. And the info so far on priority seating is still so sketchy.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Bah, I am annoyed about the fireworks announcement. I am planning to be at the parks on Saturday October 23rd, Sunday Oct 24th, and Monday October 25th, and was sure we would be able to see the Halloween Fireworks at some point during that trip. Now it looks like that won't be possible. : (

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Even with preferred seating access - to think you can just show up 20mins ahead of time is probably fantasy. You can't really do that even with F! seating and still get a good view and that's with a much smaller group.

With upwards of thousands of people with 'priority seating' - all it will basically mean is you don't have to wait in line for a fastpass. And the info so far on priority seating is still so sketchy.
    From what I know of Fantasmic priority seating, its the people sitting in the middle that get screwed. I'm not leaving that to chance. I'll be there early. Same thing with WOC. Thank you for your advice, though, I appreciate it.

• Minion

The marketing gurus are missing the forest for the trees in their rush to be more corporate and modern in their "branding."

The old-fashioned warmth and coziness of "Walt Disney's" and "Disney's" helps to humanize the cold reality of their moneymaking enterprises by personalizing the sound. The fantasy was that these stories and characters all came from some kindly wizardly Uncle and his amazing art studio of magic makers - - now the words sound like Xcel sheet assets and products. Part of what has always sold Disney to the masses is that nostalgic warmth and illusion of accessibility.

Who really wants Disney to sound even more like Proctor and Gamble? Sadly, only other execs and MBAs.

It's even happening on Walt's own movies - - The Mexican Blu-Ray of the film formerly known as "Walt Disney's Dumbo" is now called "Disney Dumbo."

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast