Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: 6/15: Glow Beats Color

Thanks for the update, Al. My reactions:

a) I still say a good CEO makes critical decisions BEFORE his employees spend hundreds of hours recording audio, animating scenes, and laboriously inputing over 18,000 computerized actions in a lavish new production. If he wanted to chime in on what would or wouldn't work, I'm thinking BEFORE the D23 convention would have been appropriate...not after. Fixing something on a story board seems much less expensive than making changes AFTER millions have been spent. If the theme or lack of story is an issue now, it has Iger's fingerprints all over it. And how much was spent to "fix" this show after he demanded changes? And how much of the water on his pants was due to the tech crew having to scramble to change everything at the last minute? Blech. Bad management.

b) I think glowfest is an accident waiting to happen. It is UNIQUE in the DLR right now because it's the only park location that combines loud music, dancing and alcohol at the same location. If one wanted to drink in DCA before Glowfest, you'd have to head over to the Cove bar, or one of the restaurants. If you wanted to dance, you'd have to head over to DL's Tomorrowland Terrace or perhaps the Carnation Plaza. But to drop a rave party with alcohol being served directly in the path of families with small kids trying to get over to the last showing of Aladdin or Tower of Terror is really asking for trouble. Maybe nothing will happen this Summer and the whole glowfest thing will fade into oblivion in August. But when you combine the rave party atmosphere with alcohol, I really think Disney Security will have their hands full. If Disney boards begin lighting up with stories of teenaged drinking or families having to fight their way past sloshed party goers, I really think TDA will regret having gone in this direction. If they ditch the alcohol (How many guests who came to drink haven't downed a few by 9:30 across the park?) I think all of the controversy, aside from the ugliness, would disappear.

c) As for WOC, it seems that the majority of reviewers are all wondering what this new production is ABOUT. The technology is indeed amazing, but the lack of any discernable theme or story line is really noticeable. It really makes you wonder what this show WOULD have been without the interference.

Still...glad that TDA has poured this amount of money into DCA and is investing in its future. Thanks again for your updates!
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 06-15-2010 at 08:29 PM.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    First, Al, if you're going to cheapshot folks at least let them be Disney execs or the fanbois who loathe them.
    Calling a celebrity B list or C list is a cheap shot? I'm pretty sure that terminology is WIDELY used in their industry.

I don't recall Al making any personal insults about them.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Makes me wonder if the survey people are looking for people who look like they have already enjoyed the bars at Glowfest to question...

And WDW1974, I know I saw pictures of Davison with the Lil Squirt button on walking down the blue carpet, so I wouldn't doubt his reaction.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    Calling a celebrity B list or C list is a cheap shot? I'm pretty sure that terminology is WIDELY used in their industry.

I don't recall Al making any personal insults about them.
    If he'd referred to someone as a Z-lister, that'd be another story

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Are the survey people allowed to buy a round of drinks, either for the guests answering questions, or for themselves?

PS: MacDaddy, remember Videopolis? "well Glow Fest is like Videopolis on steroids."

• Iron-Clad Allie

Appears to me like Glow Fest will be a more repeatable experience than World of Color...as each show exists in it's current state, respectively. This is due WoC being a collection of jumbled themeless scenes, while the theme of Glow has a consistant theme..."partying though the night until you fall down drunk on your tushy".

When Iger and crew work on putting together a discernable storyline for WoC, let's hope they resist seeking inspiration from those drinking in the atmosphere at Glow.

Great balanced review, Al. I very much look forward to experiencing WoC in the future, as it continues to progress. Glow Fest sounds slamin' and fun...though it would be better off taking place in a contained area, along the lines of WDW's former Paradise Island.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-15-2010 at 08:13 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Dont change a thing. The guests leaving DCA have a newfound 'glow' on their faces.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
    Iger was awesome when he let the people who are good at their job do their own thing. He has made great choices like bringing Pixar in and bringing Oswald back. I hope he has goodness and humility to take a little constructive criticism.
    OT: BTW, when are they going to actually produce something with Oswald???

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Dont change a thing. The guests leaving DCA have a newfound 'glow' on their faces.
    Well, then by all means... let's all put on a happy face and 'glow' for it!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    OT: BTW, when are they going to actually produce something with Oswald???
    Rumor has it that he will make a feature length debut in a film dubbed, The Wizard Wizard Of Ozwald.

• Blew By You

I have not seen WoC live yet and will wait until later. But with some talk about how villians fit into WoC, the programmers could build a show entirely around them. I'd love to see that. Cute and cuddly is good too. Let's delve into the dark side for a switch.
    And the GlowFest has me intrigued. Anything to give the Entertainment folks a time to pause and reflect is good.

• Minion

"Disney is playing games with the assignment of fastpass colors to the different viewing areas, no matter what shade they choose, the view is still lousy by the Golden Zephyr. If you arrive early enough you will get to choose which part of the viewing area you can stand in. The closer to Paradise Bay the more you'll get wet, ideally you should be in the middle of your section, and in the front by the row's railing. "
    Someone needs to create a generic map of the viewing area indicating the various preferred viewing positions, soak zones, and areas to avoid, that aren't related to the ever-changing color system.

"Disney playing games" with Fastpass colors = Disney smartly fighting back against the message board culture that leads to proclamations like "if you get a Blue ticket, just skip the show entirely" being uttered weeks before the show even debuts.

Smart use of tech to democratize the viewing experience, though I have no doubt people are already looking for ways to game the system.

•   

Nice report, Al. I have seen WoC twice and enjoyed it more the second time because I missed so much the first time. It is a wide, panoramic show and the Youtube videos do not do it justice. You have to be there and see it before you can appreciate it.

On Monday night I saw the Sunshine Plaza show before WoC then went to the backlot show after. It was different and entertaining. I went with my 24 year old daughter and she enjoyed it. There were a bunch of managers watching the first show and taking notes. Both from the vendor and DLR. The DLR CM's had regular Disney name tags while the outside vendors had temp. visitor ID stickers. It was clear they are still fine tuning the Sunshine Plaza show which runs almost an hour. The first part is a little lacking in theme or story but the Bollywood dancers are solid. They previewed them at the Taste event at Food and Wine. There were a lot of families enjoying Glow Fest both the early and late versions.

As for the surveys, we were hit up on the way out by the bridge. The survey is actually done on a work station near Guest Relations and independent of a CM. Only one of us could take the survey and it was left up to us to decide. My daughter took the survey. I doubt they are directly comparing WoC and Glow Fest. Al's article only said that the satisfaction numbers are higher for Glow Fest. It's really apples and oranges so I don't draw any conclusions.

What impressed me the most was the sight of guests leaving DL after fireworks to walk across the plaza to enter DCA at almost 10:00 p.m. Never thought I would see that. I'm glad. If Glow Fest helps keep DCA attendance going I think it's great.
    Leonard
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I've almost given up commenting on Al's columns, but figure in the Spirit of summer and WoC, I'll chime in.
    I'll be the first to say we've had our qualms on other sites, but this was a fantastic post. I agree with you totally on this post, especially with the WoC story. I think this is totally how it turned out, but I hope in the end that we'll see the full story show, or a variation on it, sometime soon.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast