Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: 6/15: Glow Beats Color

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    As for the scale regarding Glowfest and WoC, that is not surprising. Since most of the people who go to these are pretty much ages 18-34, in thier minds they would consider it better than going to a generic bar. I mean, if you were in my age range and you liked to drink, what would you like better? A show or a drink fest? You would rate the drink fest higher. I think it's just human nature.
    Agreed, thank you. I live in a city known for our street fests too. Just the other weekend we had Grand Old Day, in which a huge stretch of Grand Avenue in Saint Paul is shut down and people can drink all up-and-down the stretch from the bars, outdoor booths that have been setup, etc.

St. Patty's Day closes up most of the downtown area with drunk people everywhere.

Toss in a few more of these fests and welcome to Minnesota!

Seriously though, I will say I think World of Color is probably better in every single way. But I would probably pick Glow Fest for the fun factor. Someone else mentioned being part of the cattle rush, and I agree. Why would I want to pack myself into a tiny viewing area with sweaty people who possibly may be crabby for waiting for so long. Why would I want to push and shove folks so I can have my area staked out? Why would I want to be stampeded after the show?

I honestly was planning a trip to DL within the next year, but due to World of Color I'll simply be holding off and going to WDW instead. I HATE HATE HATE crowds! Heck, it's the reason I moved out of the city to the suburbs.

Glow Fest sounds way more fun to me. Street fest with booze? Count me in!

• Here we goooooo!

"stores in Paradise Pier are now stocking adult underwear behind the counter to help the “Guest Service Recovery” tactics if a gaggle of tourists unexpectedly meet the business end of a World of Color water-whip fountain and need to be comped with dry clothes, including undergarments."

Hi. Larry. Us. well-written!

• The Real Slimshady

Quote Originally Posted by disney_leonard View Post
    I doubt they are directly comparing WoC and Glow Fest. Al's article only said that the satisfaction numbers are higher for Glow Fest. It's really apples and oranges so I don't draw any conclusions.

What impressed me the most was the sight of guests leaving DL after fireworks to walk across the plaza to enter DCA at almost 10:00 p.m. Never thought I would see that. I'm glad. If Glow Fest helps keep DCA attendance going I think it's great.
    I agree with Leonard on the surveys. They are just looking to measure the satisfaction of each offering, and not comparing the two. As others have mentioned, the bar for WoC was set very high. While many people heard little if nothing about GlowFest.

I visited DLR on Tueday and the crowds were surprising less than the doom and gloom that the blog pundits were predicting (and what happened on Monday). The WoC shows was an amazing visual spectacle. The pre-show entertainment was good and got the crowd engaged. I stopped by GlowFest on the way out of DCA and atmosphere was lively and festive. The crowds were lower, probably because many people were lining up for 10:15 WoC. The east end was active. The projection screen on the Hyperion theatre was keeping young kids and parents busy. And the dancer was getting the diverse crowd (young kids to seniors) to perform a dance routine. As I was leaving DCA, the fireworks were finishing and there were lines to re-enter DCA!

I think GlowFest has filled a niche in the Disney entertainment offerings. I hope for it's continued success and that, in true Disney manner, they will look to "plus" it for 2011. Maybe with more mobile sets so they can keep theming intact during the day.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    If he'd referred to someone as a Z-lister, that'd be another story
    I was thinking the same thing. There are so many other letters out there that are actual insults.

Not sure if Al actually expects A-Listers (for those still unsure of the concept: Oscar winners, Emmy winners, Tony winners -- anyone getting the pattern, here? -- and their producers and their managers and their agents, just to name a few) to show up at a Theme Park Premiere show. Even if it is Disney's Disney California Adventure.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

to say that Glowfest "beat" WOC just because more people were there is an absurd asumption. sensationalist Al is just trying to stir the pot as usual.

Lower scores for WoC could have had to do with viewing circumstances, not just the show itself. In other words, how well you could actually SEE the show... and your comfort factor for the duration.

I know for a fact that if I were given a survey on a show that I had had to stand all the way through (on top of a long length of time beforehand as well just to secure a good viewing spot), I would certainly not rate the show as highly as it would merit on it's own production.
    Any time people are uncomfortable, it takes a whole lot of the pleasure out of whatever they are doing.
    Kind of like asking someone how their walk went. If they had worn uncomfortable shoes, it wouldn't have mattered what they had seen on their journey... all they are thinking about is the blisters and misery in their feet. :-P

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by holdup1 View Post
    to say that Glowfest "beat" WOC just because more people were there is an absurd asumption. sensationalist Al is just trying to stir the pot as usual.
    Glowfest just keeps getting better and better. Can you say the same about WoC?

According to the Orange County Register, Disneyland will be hosting L.A. and O.C. trucks at the new "Glow Fest Celebration":
    Disney said park visitors can expect "more popular gourmet food trucks in Southern California" to join Glow Fest, a high-energy dance festival that kicked off the same night as Disney's new World of Color. It takes place at the Hollywood Studios Backlot section of the park.
    L.A. NOW | Lakers fans exult, complain, search for a bathroom [Updated] | Los Angeles Times

The food truck trend must be more than a passing fad because some are landing in one of the hottest retail properties in Orange County — Disneyland.

Disney California Adventure is offering tourists a taste of gourmet street food as part of the theme park’s new Glow Fest celebration, which runs through Aug. 22.

For the first half of the event,Orange County’s own Louks Greek Gourmet truck and The Green Truck of Los Angeles are the featured food vans.
    http://fastfood.ocregister.com/2010/...orth-it/65139/
    On Friday night, the normally sleepy Hollywood-themed section erupted with energy as neon-clad performers danced on stages spread throughout the street. Tourists sipped from glowing cocktail beverages, while children and teens clapped their hands and shuffled their feet to an ear-thumping soundtrack created to please all ages. (Think teen pop star Justin Bieber and 1980s arena rockers Journey.)

But while exposing their brands to an international audience is a great opportunity for the food trucks, the Disney gig seems a bit risky.

As part of the agreement to be in the park, Louks owner Aki Vourakis said he must sell his food at a markup. For example, his gyros normally go for $5 on public streets. But at Disney, tourists pay $8. Disney also wants its own cut of the business, so Vourakis will pay the park a commission from daily sales.
    In trendy Los Angeles, FOOD TRUCKS are HOT!!! Roach Coaches these are not.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    In trendy Los Angeles, FOOD TRUCKS are HOT!!! Roach Coaches these are not.
    Have you tried Kogi? Pretty good for a mobile food establishment.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

My coworkers were falling out of their chairs when the "Grilled Cheese Truck" came through our area. One of them took everybody's orders and then drove over to Hollywood Blvd.

• Now 40% less bitter!

You know, with all of the construction going on in DCA, it seems only fitting that there would be food trucks in the area. It's synergy! DCA currently stands for Disney's Construction Adventure!
    Oo-de-lally!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Nice backstory

• "I Break Things"

So what we take away from this is that tourists are being price gouged and outside merchants are being extorted and the public loves a tacky temporary show in lieu of a high budget permanent planned out presentation... great... cue price hikes for crap entertainment!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

I've got a better question... why was WOC designed for direct line of sight viewing instead of a more rounded approach?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Why didn't they set up Glowfest in the Paradise Park, charge a cover and serve the drinks there?

• Seeker of Fun

When I first read Iger's comments about changing some things in the show, I thought it sounded like a guy who wanted to put his stamp on something. What's a CEO doing tweaking an artistic show? If it was a guy like Walt Disney, hey, I could understand. But Iger?

And for my own sanity: I have not experienced Glow Fest yet in person. But it sucks. What happened to theming? It doesn't fit in at all. Also, I know why the guest ratings were high. The people asking the questions probably looked for those who had been drinking heavily!!
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast