Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

6/15: Glow Beats Color

World of Color numbers, Survey says, More... Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Glow Beats Color - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• They wanna know, HO!

Re: 6/15: Glow Beats Color

I get the feeling that Glow Fest's large approval numbers come from it's informal nature. WoC you have to invest large amounts of time waiting and standing to enjoy, while Glow Fest you just walk in and buy a Glowtini. It's just like why people rate a lesser quality hotel with a cheaper price better than a much better hotel at a higher price in the Unofficial Guide. You have a certain expectation and standard to live up to and match once you get people invested. I bet if WoC was a walk up show like Illuminations is the rating would be higher than Glow Fest.

Glow Fest is a really interesting offering. No adult entertainment of this size has been tried by Disney since Pleasure Island (and even Epcot's NYE festivities are heavy on family and light on party). Being in the midwest I cannot visit anytime soon, but I imagine the problem is perception of lots of drinking. Pushing drink carts back and maybe reducing the number of individual locations, creating larger more isolated bar locations, will help the perception that it's a wild frat party*. Epcot has more liquor and beer locations than anywhere else, but thanks to theming and spacing you'd never know.

I imagine in the future Steve might be able to add more connecting story elements into the show. Iger threw a wrench into the system late and sent WDI scrambling. I can see a case being made after guest polling that WoC's weak spot is it's overal story and message and that Steve was right in his initial concept for the show.

*stated as a member in the greek system and have "iced" other "bros" and such
    Last edited by testtrack321; 06-15-2010 at 05:52 AM.

As someone who is hired as a "promotional model" nearly every week, I wanted to say that companies such as Disney generally would proceed the way Mary Niven did for this event.

As a promotional model, I work for myself. I get hired as an Independent Contractor to represent and promote companies, brands, and products. Not to sound full of myself, but we are good-looking, enthusiastic, and make at least twice as much as a typical Disney Cast Member would make. Probably more -- recently I made $22 an hour a couple weeks ago to promote Disney's new Prince of Persia movie, and $20 an hour as a tour guide for Jose Cuervo's Cuervo Games.

For something that is most likely a temporary engagement, I think Disney is perfectly justified using independent contractors, and also ensures that guests get better service than from your typical CM making $8 an hr.

• former CM

Excellent, but. . .

Al, Thanks again for another excellent update.

The only sentence that bothered me contained your line about "the usual collection of B and C List celebrities." It this case it seemed like a lazy & cruel cliche to bestow on fellow Disney fans who, in some cases (like Teri Hatcher & John Stamos), are both talented & cool about meeting their fans.

I wonder if the lack of story was due to an attempt to make it more 'relevant'? It seems like a natural story line for a show called World of Color would be artist's colors segueing into animation.

Haven't seen it in person yet, but I saw the web premiere. In the intro with Iger, Mickey was toying with the water, I thought it would be great in the actual show to have a live Mickey dressed as an animator with a paint brush conjuring up strokes of color in the fountains. I remember the show Animazement that played it DL, it was great. And the Fun Wheel Mickey could be like the animator looking on, kind of like Bugs Bunny as animator in 'Duck Amuck'. (See it on youtube)

Some sequences could be shortened, like Woody and Buzz talking. Johnny Depp's real face doesn't fit with all the animation. Chernabog - it's been done already. And it seems weird that the 'So Close' song opens with Mufasa's dead body. My solution? Take out the whole villains sequence, not every show has to have villains, (You can't beat the villains sequence in Fantasmic anyway). Maybe they thought that having villains automatically qualifies for a story? I don't know. And I guess they need villains to use the fire effects. And to be more relevant.

I really hope that the numbers for Glow Fest don't make people think that the problem with WoC is that it's not relevant enough. I think GF works because it succeeds at being what it is, and also - maybe - because it's the first dance venue in an Anaheim park that sells liquor. On the other hand, I think WoC is weak because it doesn't deliver on what it should deliver - a good story, and good feelings. A show that is basically a string of Disney's greatest hits should tug on the heart strings, and nostalgia is a powerful heart string, that's why I think trying to downplay the original WoC TV show theme is the wrong decision, also trying to cram in new movies that don't have strong songs.
    Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 06-15-2010 at 11:50 PM.

• FastPass n00b

This one is all about expectations... the Glow Fest didn't have very high expectations so no one went in there expecting anything fun, whereas World of Color set the bar so high that no man-made invention could ever live up to it, let alone after the amount of waiting and standing you have to do to see it.

I often prefer Knott's Berry Farm to Disneyland because it's less crowded, cheaper, more casual and just more plain fun. And there were times back in the old days of DCA that I was SOOO much happier to hop over to that park from Disneyland because it was so laid back and casual and not very crowded. Not everything has to be the show to end all shows, and even if it is, it's a bad idea to hype it beyond belief to create expectations that can't possibly be met. Let's face it, the Grand Canyon is something that can't be overhyped and would shock anyone with even the highest expectations, but the World of Color is just a fountain show on steroids.

Maybe Disneyland Entertainment should take this as a wakeup call that they might be getting a little "top heavy" with all their bombastic productions that emphasize location, technology and style over just plain fun. I remember when you could see the fireworks from anywhere in the park, and when Disneyland got a new parade (one that actually MOVES) every couple years. Nowadays it just seems like the Entertainment is so big and elaborate that the *fun* gets sucked right out of it.

Disneyland is about nostalgia, attention to details, giving the guest more than they expect, and, most importantly... FUN. It's not fun when you have to wait for 3 hours to see a 20 minute show or sit for 2 hours on asphalt because the fireworks only have a 200 square-foot sweet spot for viewing. It IS fun to walk into a glowing area, have some drinks, enjoy yourself and walk out without the cattle drive.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
    I wonder if the lack of story was due to an attempt to make it more 'relevant'?
    I'm sure that's what Iger thought when he demanded the changes. The show which was presented to us at D23 Expo and in numerous comments and events by Steve Davison, did have a bit of story and connective tissue. Iger demanded last minute cuts and inclusions which apparently didn't allow time to repair the show. So, in a way, if there are complaints from fans about World of Color, they aren't Steve Davison's fault but rather Bob Iger's.

For such a smart man, Iger should know better than to dabble into things he's really not equipped to handle. He's getting a tad bit Eisner lately and I hope he reevaluates some of the things he's been saying and doing. We all realize that he is the puppet master . . . but he doesn't need to play the role of each individual puppet as well
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

As for Glowfest . . .

I'd like to know what questions they are asking the guests, because there is simply NO way that Glowfest is better than World of Color.

Take any normal human being with a working brain and slap them in the middle of Glowfest and then sit them down at World of Color and ask them to pick which is better. I quite seriously doubt that many of them would pick Glowfest.

Sure, there may be lowered scores for WoC because of crowd control issues, long waits, etc. But if you compare the entertainment offered by WoC side by side with Glowfest . . . they aren't even in the same universe.

Glowfest is a cheap piece of crap which is a blight during the day and loud and garish at night. It would be a fun diversion for New Year's or Friday/Saturday date night. But it isn't Disney quality or up to Disney standards. World of Color (though not perfect) is highly entertaining, beyond the level of entertainment offered by non-Disney parks, and Disney quality in almost every way.

It sickens me to even hear that people somehow like Glowfest better. I'd imagine that this will change dramatically as the Summer progresses. There was absolutely no one in Glowfest when we were there the other night. Like a ghost town with bright lights and dancing girls. I'd imagine that there are a lot more nights like that on the way.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    It sickens me to even hear that people somehow like Glowfest better. I'd imagine that this will change dramatically as the Summer progresses. There was absolutely no one in Glowfest when we were there the other night. Like a ghost town with bright lights and dancing girls. I'd imagine that there are a lot more nights like that on the way.
    Yeah, this has me scratching my head as well. We spent approx. 5 minutes in GlowFest and that was more than enough.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I absolutely detest the changes that Bob Ego made to this show!

Nice update!

I agree that a more linear story at WoC would improve the show. The technology was great but a clear story would improve it.

Cracked me up the thought of having to buy fresh panties after the show--we placed ourselves in the third tier back for that very reason.

After WoC we wandered over to the shops (Greetings and Off the Page) to see what merchandise was being offered and stumbled into the waning GlowFest...Well, we might come back to take a look at it while it is going full throttle, but it looked loud and a bit Bacchanalian for us ;0). We are old enough (perhaps the problem right there!) to remember the days of disco---been there, done that. But I guess, everything old is new again!!

Iger was awesome when he let the people who are good at their job do their own thing. He has made great choices like bringing Pixar in and bringing Oswald back. I hope he has goodness and humility to take a little constructive criticism.

• let's talk Disney, okay!

I would have to think that it was the younger crowd (15-30) that bumped up the numbers for Glowfest. Granted, it isn't Disney, and isn't brilliantly themed by any means, but it gives that demographic something to do at night. it gives the teenagers a place to dance and hang out, and it gives the 21+ crowd a place to chillax and have a drink.

Just my musings on the subject.

Thanks for the update, Al!

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• The one, the only...

I agree with Dusty that Glow Fest is not the same quality as World of Color, but I understand why teens and twenty-somethings love it. I have only issue that families are really not going to feel comfortable.

I can only explain that those with kids are not going to Glow Fest, so they have no opinion on it, but those who go love it.

I have always felt that teens should have a place at Disneyland. I think that Teens should have a place at DCA too, but Glow Fest is so much bigger and ruins the 1930's theme of Hollywood with their florescent colored decorations. I wish that it was over at Condor Flats, which doesn't have much of a theme normally. I think that bright colors during the day would actually make that area better.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Yeah, this has me scratching my head as well. We spent approx. 5 minutes in GlowFest and that was more than enough.
    And you criticized me just yesterday for saying that "World of Color" didn't have much of a storyline. That "Fantasmic!" is still the king of night time shows at DLR. But it sounds to me that Al's column will make the same point. Time to read it.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast