Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

6/17: Not So Nightastic

Disney World falls behind... discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Not So Nightastic - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: 6/17: Not So Nightastic

You sure have a gift for discriptive critical analysis, Kev. Universal, IOA, and Wizarding World are definite must-sees! The outdoor nighttime shows sound like you get far more of a colorful bang mfor your buck.

As far as I'm concerned, Disney would have been far better off not even attempting to dub Disneyland with the Magic Kingdom. In view of the fact that Walt had dubbed DL the Magic Kingdom, it's like one is supposed to hesitate in referring to it as such now...due to it's inferior counterpart at WDW. Alas, I'm not even supposed to express what I feel here for fear of hurting the feelings of those that take pride in the park. Well, EPCOT and Animal Kingdom are still like nothing else on the planet...absolute must-sees in their own right.

Still...it's nice to know that Disney has a worthy adversary. Competition most always serves to drive up the quality of those caught in the heat o battle.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

"Maybe I’m cynical"

Really Kevin, maybe your cynical? I think when it comes to Disney, you've proven that over and over again.

Why is it when another theme park introduces a new ride, event, theme, funnel cake or whatever, people like yourself question what Disney is going to do, or what they have in progress to compete? I see it that the others are trying to catch up with Disney. Universal has an entirely different demographic than Disney. While Disney is more family oriented, with less thrill rides, Universal seems to be the opposite. Now they have Harry Potter, but after the initial excitement and rush wears off, will that be enough to bring families with young kids back again? I don't know. I hope to "compete" Disney utilizes the Marvel brand and creates a "thrill park" using Marvel themes. That would be freaking awesome.

Main Street Electrical Parade, Disney's Electrical Parade, whatever it's called, left you cold, just as it did when you saw it a long time ago. I'm actually speechless about your criticism of the lack of "Main Street" lights on the float. Really? THAT bothers you? wow, I find that sad. But your 7 and 3 year olds liked it...that my friend, is what should matter to you, and is big point with Disney. As I read some of your articles and commentaries, along with comments from fellow Micechatters, I see a pattern with us old people who grew up at Disneyland or WDW...we love new stuff, but hate change. I am one who loves when they change things up...small world, space mountain, I think that's good. I hated when Baskin Robbins did their re-branding and theme, but my kids think it's cool. They didn't mess with the recipes, so in the end, I don't care that I have to walk into a bright pink room to get my fix. How many people whined and protested when "it's a small world" added Disney characters, and renovations? They hadn't even seen the product yet and were crying foul! Basically, we like to hold on to memories and dislike when they are lost. I hold on to my memories with my parents at Disneyland when I was a kids, and eating ice cream in a brown and pink polka-dotted shop, but now make new ones with my kids it brightly colored rooms, and Disney characters mixed in with annoying singing children. It's an evolutionary cycle.

Let me know your address, I'd like to send you some rose-colored glasses.

I still love you.
    Last edited by jaxbistro; 06-17-2010 at 07:47 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by jaxbistro View Post
    "Maybe Iím cynical"

Really Kevin, maybe your cynical? I think when it comes to Disney, you've proven that over and over again.

Why is it when another theme park introduces a new ride, event, theme, funnel cake or whatever, people like yourself question what Disney is going to do, or what they have in progress to compete? I see it that the others are trying to catch up with Disney. Universal has an entirely different demographic than Disney. While Disney is more family oriented, with less thrill rides, Universal seems to be the opposite. Now they have Harry Potter, but after the initial excitement and rush wears off, will that be enough to bring families with young kids back again? I don't know. I hope to "compete" Disney utilizes the Marvel brand and creates a "thrill park" using Marvel themes. That would be freaking awesome.

Main Street Electrical Parade, Disney's Electrical Parade, whatever it's called, left you cold, just as it did when you saw it a long time ago. I'm actually speechless about your criticism of the lack of "Main Street" lights on the float. Really? THAT bothers you? wow, I find that sad. But your 7 and 3 year olds liked it...that my friend, is what should matter to you, and is big point with Disney. As I read some of your articles and commentaries, along with comments from fellow Micechatters, I see a pattern with us old people who grew up at Disneyland or WDW...we love new stuff, but hate change. I am one who loves when they change things up...small world, space mountain, I think that's good. I hated when Baskin Robbins did their re-branding and theme, but my kids think it's cool. They didn't mess with the recipes, so in the end, I don't care that I have to walk into a bright pink room to get my fix. How many people whined and protested when "it's a small world" added Disney characters, and renovations? They hadn't even seen the product yet and were crying foul! Basically, we like to hold on to memories and dislike when they are lost. I hold on to my memories with my parents at Disneyland when I was a kids, and eating ice cream in a brown and pink polka-dotted shop, but now make new ones with my kids it brightly colored rooms, and Disney characters mixed in with annoying singing children. It's an evolutionary cycle.

Let me know your address, I'd like to send you some rose-colored glasses.

I still love you.
    In Orlando, Marvel affiliated theme park liscensing is contracturally obligated to Universal. Disney can and likely will promote at the Disneyland Resort attractions and characters associated with the brand. Anaheim is fast becoming a worldwide destination...and the primary stateside resort area from which Disney competes the world over.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

I believe, under the dynamic leadership of Tom Staggs, that we will be looking back at this summer as the "good old days" before the Disney parks really start to cut back. In the future, the parks will only be a portal that syncs with other Disney owned brands. After all, this isn't about Disney consumers. It is about Tom's career advancement and his ability to show he can cut more than Jay.

• former CM

Thanks for the update, Kevin!
    You need to cheer up.
    That said. . .

EPCOT should add a Russia world showcase ASAP,

Soarin' should get a new Soarin' Over America film (excluding California, which is now the only state in the film shown in Florida and California),

one of the water parks should get a water coaster with amazing theming that Schlitterbahn cannot compete with (How about wet Haunted Mansion, wet Jungle Cruise, or the Tiki Zoom?)

and the Magic Kingdom should bring back the subs with a much better Nemo ride than the one at Disneyland. (Big screen TVs underwater. Wow. )

I had been planning on going to Walt Disney World in a couple of years, but now I think that money would be better spent on Deluxe APs at Disneyland.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-17-2010 at 08:38 AM.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    one of the water parks should get a water coaster
    I thought that they had put one in at Typhoon Lagoon -

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    I thought that they had put one in at Typhoon Lagoon -
    Ah Kev??

MK's Fireworks have always been at 10PM in the summer!

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

FYI TLM will be somewhere in between Snow White and Haunted Mansion, both in ride time and in quality.

Does Universal even offer night time entertainment?

The comments on MSEP were petty when it came to the wording shown in the show.

Glad you kids enjoyed it. I find that is more important when I go to either WDW or the DLR then whether I found everything perfect. The smiles on my kids faces triggers the smile on my face.

Interesting comments. RE:Marvel at WDW. I believe Universal only has a lock on the characters they currently have in use. So characters like Spiderman and Hulk, Disney could NOT use at WDW, but could at the Disneyland resort. However, characters like Iron Man, which Universal has not touch, would be fine for WDW to use. Universal will only retain the exclusive use of the characters they were already using, and only on the East side. I am sure its more complex then that, but I think that is a overly simplied synopsis.

I was surprised at Kevin's grip about the fireworks being at 10pm..... Kevin, during the summer MK's fireworks are almost always at 10pm. This is NOT new, NOT NEW at all. During the summer they run at least 1 night parade per night, plus the fireworks, and if they are open late enough, they will tag on a encore performance, a 2nd showing of what ever night parade they are featuring.

And I too find the blog world is far too focused on just how devastated WDW is going to be by the opening of WWoHP.

I like the plan for MK's new expanded Fantasyland, but I do not consider it an expansion of the MK park or a response to WWoHP. Disney-MGM Studios was a response to Universal Annoucing they would opening a park in Orlando. They announced it after Universal made their big announcement and Opened it before Universal could open their first park in Orland. (by building a half day attraction, that to this day, could still use some more, but thats another thread entirely).

Fantasyland is more of long overdue needed overhaul and reuse of a wasted space in the MK, in land formerly occupied by 20k attraction and the reuse of the adjacent "Temporarily" Permanet Mickey's Birthday Land into something that is finally just Permanet. When compared to other Fantasyland's at other parks, MK's was definately in need of updating, and in dire need at that. I don't think the Walt Disney Company views Island's of Adventure and its demographic of visitors as direct competition to MK's. While the Disney Studios and Universal are definately head to head compeditors, MK and IOA are really not. I will conceed you could say IOA is a better match against MK then say it is against Epcot or DAK, that is still not the same as IOA caters to the same type of demographic at MK. The expanded Fantasyland definately caters to the MK's core audieance. Due to these factors and the timing not really being aligned, I stand by my seemingly minority opinion that Fantasyland's expansion is not a response to WWoHP.

"Interesting comments. RE:Marvel at WDW. I believe Universal only has a lock on the characters they currently have in use. So characters like Spiderman and Hulk, Disney could NOT use at WDW, but could at the Disneyland resort. However, characters like Iron Man, which Universal has not touch, would be fine for WDW to use. Universal will only retain the exclusive use of the characters they were already using, and only on the East side. I am sure its more complex then that, but I think that is a overly simplied synopsis."

Thanks Kidgenie...That's fine. Let Universal keep what they have. If a Thrills Park with Marvel by Disney ever comes to fruition, it would be in Disney's best interest to stay away from those characters whom already have rides. That way comparisons and cynics (not naming anyone in particular) would stay away. I would go with the lessor known heroes and villains and promote their stories up and make badass rides. Include the female heroes so girls have something for role models as well.

This whole idea could be pretty sweet...Disney has the technology and Imagineers to make it work. They need a teen draw at WDW. But who am I kidding, it'll never happen.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I have a sneaking suspiscion that those who are dismissing the Fantasyland expansion as just The Little Mermaid and a couple of meet and greets might be falling far short of what we'll really be getting. It's actually seeing Wizarding World that makes me think this too. Before it opened, I was underwhelmed that it was only getting one new attraction. Now that I see the level of detail and interactive qualities all over the area, it kind of looks like the whole land is an attraction.

If the Be Our Guest restaurant and immersive Princess areas are at a similar level of detail and quality, I think they're going to feel more like attractions that involve meeting the character than the traditional meet-and-greets we have today.

If this is meant to be WDW's answer to Potter, they'd really better that good.

• Pulling the Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    Captain Hook appears (for some reason)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    The Pirates of the Caribbean music kicks in for some reason
    Well, probably because the fireworks are lifted from the Pirate and Princess Parties... I would think this was fairly obvious.

What a deliciously negative article... but what else do we expect?

x.jaKe ryan
    \\Commanding Officer At The Tomorrowland Galactic Federation Prisoner Teleport Center//

I had to sign up just to put my 2 cents in.

Firstly, HELLO! I've been a LONG time lurker on the forums and just never had the urge to sign up to much before...until now that is. Anyone who knows me knows I would take Disney over Universal ANY DAY! However, I recently went to Universal to visit this new Potter land (against my will) the other day and I have to say, "Don't doubt the magic of Potter." It was beyond amazing and that's an under statement. Universal has really set the bar high for Disney this time and this entire Nightastic thing just doesn't compete. If you don't believe me then go see for yourself.

Now I know it sounds like I'm a Universal lover but I'm NOT. However, I know when something is good and when to admit (temporary) defeat.

Loved this article! I can't wait to go check out the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, it sounds amazing!!!! People don't need to get so defensive, Kevin isn't criticizing Disneyworld fans, he is criticizing the company itself. That is his opinion, that they are cheaping out and aren't delivering as good of a product. I am starting to feel this way with Disneyland, as they don't have any new parades or fireworks shows. I still like going to Disney parks, but I do notice these things and it does make me enjoy the parks less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast