Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• e komo mai

Re: 11/8: Dead Men Tell New Tales

Quote Originally Posted by BugsBunny
    Imagine if they had made substantial changes to The Haunted Mansion in anticipation of the release of that movie.
    Imagine Jennifer Tilly as Leota forever and ever.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

The update was good today Al.

I am excited about the POTC changes as a Disney Geek, but as a mom, I think the changes will keep me off the ride when I visit the park with my kids. At least until they are older.

Has Disney morphed Barbossa's monkey into a parrot for the next two films? I rather liked the monkey myself. Although, I think if they are morphing the monkey into a parrot without it matching the film it will look funny.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

What a great article!! Way to go Al, nothing like good fun articles to read.

Now as far as the Pirates...eh...I liked the older more subtle rumors of just a few new animatronics here and there. I like the Jack Sparrow at the end, and the Barbossa in the Wicked Wench (don't change the name, he lost the Black Pearl)...but I'm not a fan of the sounds of the grotto changes...maybe WDW will luck out not have the long grotta for once...it can't get all those changes.

As far as DCA, any rethemeing they want to do...go for it. It'll be nice if it happens, but I think like HPB, it'll have to come with a ride.

Regarding the CM woes:

It is becoming obvious to guests that there is a serious problem. We noticed it during our trip last month. Long lines at eateries and stores. More than a few sullen CM's. A lot of overwhelmed CM's. We ended up eating a few lunches on Harbor just because it was such a chore to eat on property. And we ended up buying a lot less stuff than we ususally do. More than once we saw the lines at the cash registers and just put the stuff back on the shelves.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot
    I am excited about the POTC changes as a Disney Geek, but as a mom, I think the changes will keep me off the ride when I visit the park with my kids. At least until they are older.
    Making it scarier might not be the best thing for this ride. Let's say they make these changes and it isn't quite appropriate for kiddies, this could be bad news for the park. Good news for adults and teens, bad news for kids. It would be yet another ride they can't get onto in the park that was built so that families can spend time together.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I don't understand - what is there about the changes that is in any way MORE scary than what it was before? Just adding a voice in the caverns shouldn't freak kids out more, should it?

• CM for 4 years!

On CMs being able to pick up shifts:

YEAH RIGHT!

Blue Bayou and all the other table service locations have definitely over hired hosts, and I have no way to extend my hours unless I want to work in the kitchen or bus.

I'm currently being scheduled 17 hours a week.

I wish I could pick up some more hours, but BB is always busy, so we need the same number of hosts, off season or not. :/
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• keep moving forward...

i cant believe they are doing this to pirates (whats more... i cant believe my big sister is standing behind me as im writing this screaming "johnny depp is going to be in pirates of the caribbean"

meanwhile im yelling "theyre destroying walts baby!!!!!"

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

The skeleton pirate in the cave sounds like he will add a lot to the fear factor of the ride. If he suddenly appears in the dark of the cave, it has the potential to scare little kids. My kids are 6.5 and 5 and already think the ride is too scary. Something like this might be something that keeps them away for a bit longer.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

I thought the whole point of the movie campaign was to celebrate the original attractions, not to decimate them.
    Indeed--this makeover makes me feel uncomfortable. Some of the fx sounded kind of neat, tho, and the fact that the Imagineers are excited is hopefully a good sign. But man, I don't want to see Hollywood stars cluttering up my Disneyland attractions (Indy's different, the rides based on the movie.)

Just thank your lucky stars that the Haunted Mansion movie flopped. Can you imagine that makeover? Brrrr . . . the ride really would have been scary then.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I don't understand - what is there about the changes that is in any way MORE scary than what it was before? Just adding a voice in the caverns shouldn't freak kids out more, should it?
    And just beyond this new effect the rockwork in the soaring cavern area will be rebuilt with a ships crow's nest with a skeleton slumped over the side. But as the boats pass below, shafts of moonlight will hit the skeleton revealing rotting flesh and the animatronic skeleton will lean over the side of the crow's nest and utter ominous warnings to the passengers floating below.
    It sounds scary to me. But I have a very active imagination.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    This is some of the best news I've heard in a long, long, time. I am not by any means a purist. I feel that if something better comes along in the future, it is WDI's responsibility to seize the day and make those changes. Pirates of the Caribbean is a wonderful attraction. However, the public ulitmately decides what they want to see, and after the enormous success of the Black Pearl, they want to see Jack Sparrow. Whenever a movie tie-in comes into a park I like to think of it this way. Pretend there was never a movie, would the characters from that film still be good characters for a theme park. Jack Sparrow, Barbossa, and Davy Jones are excellent theme park characters. Indiana Jones is an excellent theme park character, even Buzz Lightyear is a very Disney-like theme park character. The one thing I wish is that Disneyland wouldn't always get all of the major refurbs. Walt Disney World's version of POTC needs a massive update much, much, more than Disneyland.

One day I hope that the Walt Disney Company can realize the potential of WDW and send in someone like Ouimet to revitalize this resort. The place is beautiful, especially the Animal Kingdom. I would love to see someone with the same passion and zeal come in and turn WDW into the flagship resort of the line. I know everyone at this site disagrees with me, but I feel that this place has the special magic along with the blessing of size. There is so much potential here.

Great column Al!
    I completely agree with everything you say. In fact, you just wrote my post for me. Thanks mate.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• At Work

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Imagine Jennifer Tilly as Leota forever and ever.
    Kill me now.
    I surf MiceChat like I spend my time at Disneyland sitting on the bench and watch the people go by.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    A kid will be scared on this ride anyway as is a dark ride after all. With skeletons and a fire... There should be an element of danger implied... After all that is what the warning from the Jolly Rodger at the beginning of the ride sets people up for...

I think the objections are of it being too scary for adults...

However I agree the ride needs to be more interactive than it is... After all the Haunted Mansion's most startling/scary things are pulled back quite considerably...

Pirates are scary and dangerous... That is just the way it is... if you want fluff go to Pooh or IASWAA
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

I read somewhere that the AA's on POTC get upgraded during nearly every refurb.
    [sarcasm]They should have kept them creaky and 60's-style.[/sarcasm]
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast