Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/13: East vs West

Disney World, or Disneyland? Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: East Vs. West - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Circle of Ancients

Re: 7/13: East vs West

Very nice article Kevin!

Glad you enjoyed your visit and glad you enjoyed your trip to SFMM.

Now you must tell me how you got your son on X2. My son is 12 and has been on pretty much every other coaster at SFMM other than X2 and Deja Vu (and some pretty crazy coasters elsewhere) yet he still won't ride X2. He needs to!!!

Maybe it's because he had no pre-conceived notion regarding the ride?

OK, who wrote Kevin's article this time? There was waaaay too much happiness in it for him to have written this thing....or, did you just need a vacation?

R.I.P. George Steinbrenner.
    Last edited by jaxbistro; 07-13-2010 at 06:18 AM.

Not the same thing as seeing the Pixar Zeotrope in person - but there's a short included in the Toy Story 2 rerelease bonus features.

• former CM

Thank you, Kevin!

For me the most important lines were:

"On the upkeep front, Disneyland (and DCA, for that matter), looked as good as ever. That’s not to say the place sparkled. Tiny bits of old paint peeled off from floorboards here and there, but that’s to be expected, and was hardly the sort of thing the once-a-year visitor would notice. . ."

Nice article, Kevin... I loved the love for DL (and WoC ), and we're going to Magic Mountain in 2 weeks - so I was excited to hear your quick take! Will you be doing a more thorough trip report soon?

Great article, glad to hear you had a great time. For our family we also visit Disneyland on occasion however Walt Disney World will always be number 1 for us.

I didn't see a mention of Knott's Berry Farm. Did you go there? I would be curious as to your take on that park.
    I agree with you on Legoland. I think that is a VERY well run park and they do the best with the money that they have.

• MiceAge Columnist

We only did Knott's for half a day (after La Brea Tar Pits). We used the After-4 pass.

Verdict is kinda mixed: Ghostrider is indeed more painful than it used to be, but it's no Manhattan Express (coaster in Vegas). Newcomer kids like mine find PLENTY to do at Knott's. The reconstructed sections of Ghost Town are OK. I don't much like the encroachment of the coasters on Ghost Town, though.

I'd previously visited on liked Sidewinder, Silver Bullet, and Xcelerator, and didn't go on them this time. We were there for our kids. Oddly, I did like Pony Express. Such a weird little ride.

Knott's still has charm, though less than my memory would suggest. It's still a full-day park, and it's still not at Disney's caliber, though I'm glad Knott's is around. The mine ride and log ride still rank way up there. And did they re-do the effects in the log ride?
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Substantial article!

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Now you must tell me how you got your son on X2. My son is 12 and has been on pretty much every other coaster at SFMM other than X2 and Deja Vu (and some pretty crazy coasters elsewhere) yet he still won't ride X2. He needs to!!!

Maybe it's because he had no pre-conceived notion regarding the ride?
    My seven year old is a coaster junkie, and has played RCT since he was five years old. He rides anything he can, the very second he's tall enough (though we don't cheat with napkins inside the shoes or anything... I don't play around with safety).

I was worried he'd fall out of Goliath (SFMM, not the Georgia one, which he's not tall enough for yet) and forced him to hold on. There were seriously two inches of empty space below the restraint, which was clicked down all the way.

Anyway, he did confess later that X2 was "a little too crazy" for him. But I'm glad he did it. It was too crazy for me! (when can I go back?)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• FastPass n00b

I think Kevin gets an undeserved reputation for being overly critical or negative. His articles normally do criticize, but it is all in the spirit of approaching a Disney park in the matter it is meant to be seen in, specifically an exemplary park that not only sets the standards for everyone else, but remains in a class of its own. When Kevin does make a critical observation, it is normally justified, especially for a chain of parks that paints itself as offering a nearly perfect experience.

Kevin does give credit where credit is due, he's not a negative person. When he finds something worth praising, he will definitely give it his stamp of approval. But the fact that people feel he is being overly harsh most of the time is simply unfounded in my opinion. I love his writing style because he doesn't let Disney get off easily, he takes them to task by holding them in the same regard that Disney claims to hold themselves in.

With that said though, this is the best Kevin Yee article since I can remember. I love how it incorporates so many different aspects. I would love to see a full-blown Las Vegas update from this column, there's always enough news going on in Vegas to fill a column, but this was just a great article. Thanks once again Kevin!

People where I work refer to me as the Disneyland girl, because there was a time when we had our passes that we were going every couple months. And people would come back from Florida and tell me how much I would LOVE WDW and that I really need to go. We are going to do there one day, but I honestly don't fell rushed to, I mean I know I will enjoy the park, but I think my heart is always going to prefer Disneyland.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Wait I got to the end and didn't see much comparison between East and West.

Is there a page two ? Just kidding, thanks for the trip report.

Loved the article, Kevin, but I know that you know plenty of passholders in Anaheim, so I hope you didn't miss out on the nicer WoC merch because of that...if you need anything sent to you, just holler!
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast