• Correspondent-Editor

No Magic for Sorcerer

The Sorcererís Postmortem

By C. W. Oberleitner On July 19, 2010
    In This Business Of Show

The Sorcererís Apprentice, from Walt Disney Pictures, and Jerry Bruckheimer Films, played to mostly empty movie houses, coming in third in the weekend box office derby behind second place finisher Despicable Me, now in its second week in release. What went wrong? The answer depends on who you ask.

Read the full story here >>

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: No Magic for Sorcerer

I think Prince of Persia hurt it (since many people thought this movie would be the same type of movie), two inception came out one of the most (besides toy story) talk about movies of the summer.

They should have wait until early 2011 to release this. Also the fact that most movie goers know how this Disney movie will end.

• The Darkness to Light

Just an obsevation from the Box Office of my theatre...

The reason why nobody is going to Sorcerer is because there are two other kids/family movies playing against it. If they haven't seen Toy Story 3, they go to that first. Followed by Discpicable Me, and then Sorcerer. And I'm lucky if I a family goes to the movies that often.

With family budgets getting tighter and tighter in my area, Sorcerer is just the default for those families who have seen everything else with their kids who are too young for all the other movies out there.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Circle of Ancients

For me, it had nothing to do with TS3 (been out for a month) or Despicable Me. The movie just looked REALLY bad. If a movie looks good, people are going to go see it. PERIOD.

Great article Chuck ... I think this had something to do with it for us as well:

The second most popular, unofficial theory floating about for the apparent failure of The Sorcerer’s Apprentice is Bruckheimer Burnout. It’s said that audiences, at least American ones, have come to feel that they’ve been there and done that with Jerry, Jon, and Nick many times before.
    Honestly, had it been somebody other than Cage, I may have been more interested, even though you said he was good in it. I would have LOVED to see someone like Samuel Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Harrison Ford or even Sean Penn taking on a bit of a different role. Heck, maybe even cast Alfred Molina as the Sorcerer rather than the villain.

Also sad to read that Molina was under-utilized in the film, for shame. He's a great actor.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 07-20-2010 at 06:45 AM.

• no flash photography...

yeah, from the previews it look really bad. However, the previews for inception make me want to go see it.

the marketing was bad and the one commercial where they had Mickey mouse as the apprentice right before the rest of the clips really made the movie look childish.

This would have been a great family movie for the Holidays or off period like February

• Not here to help

I only saw one ad for the movie... here in Sweden movies donīt get the same promotion as in the states. But that ad was booooring.
    Itīs really very easy. The movie looks booring in the ads...

Soooo... whoīs up for a boring movie tonight?
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

It had horrible marketing and word of mouth and reviews were awful. In the connected world that we live in today, you can't just expect audiences to go see crappy films simply because you dump millions of dollars into ads. If their friends on Facebook and MiceChat tell them that a movie is crap, they aren't going to spend $15 per ticket to go see it.

Make good films and then market them honestly to the groups who would be most interested in them. Don't slap Mickey Mouse in a commercial for a film that has nothing to do with him.

Hopefully Disney is learning a lesson with this disaster.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I thought the film was pretty good for what it was, but it could have been so much better and that's where I was disappointed. Better screenplay, some character development.

For their feature films anyway, Disney's marketing has mostly been in fail mode. They use the wrong outlets, they seem completely out of touch. They definitely did a bad job with this film.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I'm not surprised about its failure. From the looks of the trailer, and the looks of the commercials, it looked very unappealing. I haven't seen it yet, but it looks pretty bad. It only holds about 40% on Rotten Tomatoes. But what are you going to do? Plus, I also agree about the competition.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    It had horrible marketing and word of mouth and reviews were awful. In the connected world that we live in today, you can't just expect audiences to go see crappy films simply because you dump millions of dollars into ads. If their friends on Facebook and MiceChat tell them that a movie is crap, they aren't going to spend $15 per ticket to go see it.

Make good films and then market them honestly to the groups who would be most interested in them. Don't slap Mickey Mouse in a commercial for a film that has nothing to do with him.

Hopefully Disney is learning a lesson with this disaster.
    I completely agree with you.

This looked like one huge failure from miles away.

But I doubt Disney learned any lesson. Wasn't it right about this time last year when they released that GForce movie about hamsters--a movie that was also heavily marketed and completely failed?

• Banned User

Sorcerer's Apprentice - cost $150 million plus marketing. Take so far $26 million.

Prince of Persia - cost $200M plus marketing. Take so far $89 million.

• Banned User

This movie doesnt interest me at all.

• Sorcerer in Training

I believe that if they kept true to the original story, with a live action Mickey Mouse and a Master Yensid, it would have been better. I however haven't seen the movie yet. I'm not interested in it due to it not following the story.

I may be interested because of the soundtrack. I sampled it and loved it! I may see it just for the soundtrack.
    YouTube page: The Sorcerer's Lair

"And so you see the magic isn't just in the animated characters, it's also in all of us"
    -Drawn to the Magic

"Remember...dreams come true"
    -Julie Andrews

"Some imagination, huh?"
    -Mickey Mouse

"Dreams are make believe, till they all come true"
    -Fantasmic!

"Believe me: this is one of the most exciting and challenging things that we've ever tackled at Walt Disney Enterprises"
    -Walt Disney.

"Disney has helped bring out the magic in us. Now let's work together and help bring out the magic in others."
    -SorcererHero5571

• Sorcerer in Training

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Honestly, had it been somebody other than Cage, I may have been more interested, even though you said he was good in it. I would have LOVED to see someone like Samuel Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Harrison Ford or even Sean Penn taking on a bit of a different role. Heck, maybe even cast Alfred Molina as the Sorcerer rather than the villain.

Also sad to read that Molina was under-utilized in the film, for shame. He's a great actor.
    This role is an extremely difficult role to cast. I can't think of anyone who would have fit the part. Maybe Liam Neeson?
    YouTube page: The Sorcerer's Lair

"And so you see the magic isn't just in the animated characters, it's also in all of us"
    -Drawn to the Magic

"Remember...dreams come true"
    -Julie Andrews

"Some imagination, huh?"
    -Mickey Mouse

"Dreams are make believe, till they all come true"
    -Fantasmic!

"Believe me: this is one of the most exciting and challenging things that we've ever tackled at Walt Disney Enterprises"
    -Walt Disney.

"Disney has helped bring out the magic in us. Now let's work together and help bring out the magic in others."
    -SorcererHero5571