Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/21: Editor's Note - Disneyland's Alice ride shuttered by Cal/OSHA

Editor's Note 7/21:
    The rumors are true, and Alice in Wonderland has been shut down by Cal/OSHA. They finally called the park's bluff of working with Imagineering for years now to retrofit a hand railing system on to the outdoor vine portion of the track. None of the previous design proposals were liked by either the Imagineers or Disneyland's operations groups, in a joint attempt to try and maintain the aesthetics of this unique indoor/outdoor dark ride and Disneyland exclusive from 1958. But Cal/OSHA has no use for aesthetics or history, and they finally got tired of waiting for the park to do something about this blatant code violation. The ride has been shut down indefinitely while TDA scrambles to approve a plan to retrofit handrails on to the exterior ride track, and this unplanned closure will likely be measured in months.
    - Al Lutz
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Shablagoo!

Re: 7/21: Editor's Note - Disneyland's Alice ride shuttered by Cal/OSHA

That's a shame. Hopeully they can come up with something that looks decent at least.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Don't mess with Cal/OSHA.

Hopefully they come up with a solution which isn't totally ugly. Pop up railings that can be hidden when not needed (as they've used on other rides) would probably be best.

I'm wishing Disney well on their mad dash to get this problem fixed quickly (but not so quickly that they go for the ugly solution). Alice is one of my favorite attractions.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I would much rather it be ugly than Disney to choose that this fix isn't worth it and shut the ride down forever.

Curse you Cal OSHA!

Edit to add -- I mean I'm sure the suits are frothing at the mouth to put in a Tangled ride or some other stupid "relevant" ride in the park. This might be a golden opportunity for them.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 07-21-2010 at 05:40 AM.

I agree with the last post! Has there ever been an incident on this ride? Ridiculous! I'd bet there was a fine associated with this action as well.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by DaGrumpster View Post
    I agree with the last post! Has there ever been an incident on this ride? Ridiculous!
    I would generally agree, but it's these sort of OSHA rules that keep the public safe, and prevent companies from being too cheap on safety.

Here's hoping for a good and quick solution.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Well if they did some kind of popup railing, they could make it look like grass waving in the breeze or something like that... as the caterpillar car goes by the "grass/floral" railing could come up beside it... and drop back down after it passes.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• ~*~Just a dream away~*~

OSHA likely hasnt been after them for 50 years... which is how long this ride has been operating without incident... Completely ridiculous
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings

• Rock Star Minion

Is the handrail necessary at all times or just in case of evacuation?

I'm imagineering (amateur-level) a handrail that would be stored under the ramp, and activated into place by an emergency generator upon stoppage.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Is the handrail necessary at all times or just in case of evacuation?

I'm imagineering (amateur-level) a handrail that would be stored under the ramp, and activated into place by an emergency generator upon stoppage.
    My assumption is that the handrail would only be needed in the event of evacuation. Pop-up rails are used on other attractions, so that seems to be an acceptable OSHA solution.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• One Little Spark...

I think OSHA would require the railing be Up whenever cars are in motion, because they have to always look at worst case scenario. Things like A 5 year old climbing out and falling off the platform...

Sure, there hasn't been an accident/injury in 50 years.... but that doesn't mean there never would be. I agree it seems stupid, but MonorailMan is right... without OSHA, companies could/would cheap out on safety, and amusement parks could/would end up like traveling carnivals where nobody checks up on safety... Hope they come to a solution quickly!

• Mecha-Shiva! Mecha-Shiva!

Such a bummer. The lack of handrail made that part of the ride so much more exciting/magical, especially when you're a kid.

• Gold Prospector

It's actually DOSH that shut them down. They cover permanent amusement rides and movable amusement rides in California. Cal / OSHA is more for the safety of workers on the job site and so on and so forth.

I don't see why this attraction couldn't be grandfathered in. It's been there forever and I don't believe they have had any problems. But I fear the worse because I think they are going to have to put up permanent guard rails that are up all the time. They could totally theme them to make 'em look good but It will take away from the "I think our caterpillar is going to fall off this small windy path!!!"

Whatever the solution is going to be, it just shows how retarded people in general are and how California is soooo broke it will do anything to get money. I see in the future more rides being shut down with fines up the yin yang. But that’s only my opinion.
    Howdy folks, please keep your hands, arms and legs inside the train and remain seated at all times. Now then, hang on to them hats and glasses cause this here's the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!!!

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I also think it's for emergency evacuations and CM safety. Since this happened I've been thinking that 'the suits' might decide this is perfect time to just remove Alice and possibly Toad as well, and slot in some awful 'branded' thing.

That there haven't been problems in 50 years isn't Cal/OSHA's concern, the possibility that there could be is what they look at. If guests need to be evacuated from one of the cars on that outside section, there is a very real danger that they would fall. A pop-up handrail seems like the best solution.

• Lost Boy

That is annoying :\ Guess we won't get to go on it when we are there in a few weeks Hopefully they can come up with something that looks ok and get it updated quickly. I'm surprised this wasn't grandfathered in but I guess with "safety" issues they wouldn't want to do that.
    Have a magical day!
    Jon

Visit Disney Character Central for tons of Disney Character and park pictures and information: Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, and Tokyo Disney Resort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast