Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

11/10: A Closer Look - Part I

Guest columnist Ted Tamburo compares Hong Kong Disneyland to the other Magic Kingdoms. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• is satisfactual.

Re: 11/10: A Closer Look - Part I

Good article, but I'd like to point out it's "Philharmagic", as in "philharmonic", not "Philarmagic". Also, it's "marauding", not "maurading". Not trying to be a nitpick here, but I figured these MiceAge articles have enough literal pretension to allow for a comment like that.

• e komo mai

• Rock Star Minion

Lots of typos. I don't mind one or two, but it's getting difficult to read.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Typos aside, what a great article. Its nice to hear someones opinions - good and bad and instead of the all good that Disney is trying to feed us ..and not all bad like a lot of Disney fans are proclaiming.

Too bad there weren't more photos since the ones that are present are great.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Photographer/Disney Lover

More photos would have great, I agree.

I think that park will be an amazing work in the coming years, and that adventure land is simply breath taking. I would pay the 56 bux just to ride that stuff and walk around in that kind of atmosphere!

Anyone else notice the their main street is more wide than DLR ( dont know aobut WDW) but seems a lot larger...also no trolly tracks! oh well...
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." ~ Walt Disney

Hello:

Thanks for the nice comments about my recent article. I am sorry for any typos that you are finding. I try my best to avoid this kind of thing and I certainly do not think it in unreadable by any means, however I know they are annoying.

Between myself and AL sometimes wires may get crossed. For example one of the mentioned typos was actually part of a small editorial change Al made, others are all my fault. I hope the intent comes across and if someonw would like to e-mail me a list of the mistakes I will gladly have them corrected (I mustbe missing most of them).

The park is in fact a very nice looking place, in time it may be great. As I mentioned in the article for now it is a good start.

Thanks again:
    Ted

Concerning the photos...

Thanks again, I am glad you enjoy them. I will try and include even more shots in the next instalment of this series. What you need to realize is that this is a small park... there is not all that much to photograph! Most of what is in the park has been represented in the photos.

Regardless I will include more next time.

Ted

• Official Mice Chat person

Great article, Typos don't bother me at all. It's not how you spell it, it's what you are trying to get across. And what you got across was a great article.
    It's really to sad that they didn't put more money into the park initially, but who knows what is in the works for later years. It might be best to start out smaller than to start out big and fall flat on your face.

While I agree it is better NOT to overbuild and fail and create a money pit (ala Euro Disney) I think they have gone way too far in the other direction with many of the recent parks.

We allknow the problems DCA has and Disney Studios Paris is honestly an embarasment to the company in my opinion, it is REALLY bad.

Hong Kong Disneyland has great potential but it is VERY light on attractions. They should have added several ore e-tickets. I think if this park had Pirates, Mansion and maybe Peter pan and Small World it would be well balanced and still conservative in size.

The main problem with Euro Disney was the number of hotels they built, not the attractions in the park. In Hong Kong they have kept the number of hotel rooms small, which is wise.

All that said I will always prefer quality to quantity. Disney could have built a really cheap version of the Magic Kingdom with carnival rides and the like, I am very glad they opted against that approach.

Finally, one last word on tyopos. I write quickly and I am a poor typist, so as this message shows I am ALWAYS making typos. However everything is spell checked several times. So while some Disney specific terms may slip through with mistakes there really should not be too may typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Tamburo
    Hello:

Thanks for the nice comments about my recent article. I am sorry for any typos that you are finding. I try my best to avoid this kind of thing and I certainly do not think it in unreadable by any means, however I know they are annoying.

Ted
    I know it's very hard to proof your own material--you're just too close to it. I write for a living, I know. Might I suggest recruiting an editor/proofreader among your many readers who would be willing to give articles a quick once-over for typos? Al, in particular, is a very good writer but his little apostrophe problem bugs me to no end.

I'm glad Hong Kong did this right. Infrastructure first, theming second, rides you can always add later. They have a beautiful start.

• Banned User

Ted,
    Don't feel bad about the typos... I have written many personal trip reports to the various Disney resorts and am here to tell you... I am the *King* of typos.... but that doesn't stop me and it should not stop you, especially if writting is not your profession (as it isn't mine either).

BTW... great read. Having been to HKDL sevral times already and being a veteran of the other 4 resorts as well... I do agree with your point of views about this park. I too agree that the park is quality. One thing I must correct you on...if you don't mind. You refer to MTR's Disneyland Resort Station as Sunny Bay. For those not familiar with HKDL.. it should be pointed out that Sunny Bay station is off HKDLR property and is the station where guests bound to HKDL would connect to the Disneyland Resort Line bound for Disneyland resort Station, which is the victorian style station ON property you decribed in your article..

Other than that... Great read! Thanks and will look forward to your opinion on the rest of HKDL, especially Tomorrowland's new theming.

Great article, Ted. Keep 'em coming.

Very well-balanced look at Disney's newest park and I, for one, appreciate it. I certainly don't believe in ripping everything Disney does (heck, I can even enjoy DCA quite a bit), but other sites on the web just seem to regurgitate Disney PR/marketing spin. At one 'place' they love talking about gardens and people taking pictures instead of enjoying rides, which is exactly what Disney's PR flacks say.

As to the typos, I work in a profession where they are frowned upon as well (not that you'd ever tell by reading my posts here), but my best advice would be to pick two people who don't have to know a clue about what you're writing about and have them go over it. I'm great at picking up the typos of others, but not my own.

Looking forward to your next installment ... and don't be a stranger to the boards here. I think you bring a very interesting perspective to Miceage. Come join us on the WDW Board!!!!

First of all thank you for the correction on Sunny Bay. Of course you are right, Sunny Bay is the station which you depart from to reach Disneyland.

A ffinal word about typos. I have written several ongoing articles for Mice Age and several other sites. I am not a profesional by any means though writting is somethiunt that comes easily to me. I type quickly and pay little attention to typos as I go (as I am sure is evident in this very message). But honestly, this has grown out of proportion! There were not that many typos, nothing which should stand in the way of understanding the article.

While I certainly strive for a perfect, error free article it concerns me a little that typos has become the main subject of discussion and not Hong Kong Disneyland!

Thanks again for the kind words.

Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast