• Banned User

The real Tower of Terror?

The real Tower of Terror is located in NYC? While the attractions are based on a show & themed with Hollywood in mind, one look at this place (especially inside), some might experience a little déjà vu. I'm sure those who have experienced ToT might have stepped foot into The Jane, and started to scratch there heads and wondered.

I remember walking by this building few times while heading back & fourth to Chelsea Pier but had no idea the rich history it holds, till someone pointed it out. Welcome to The Jane Hotel, constructed in 1908 (if the walls could talk), the survivors of Titanic stayed here too, among other rich history details.

Located in the 'meat packing district' of Manhattan, looking over the Hudson River. Check out the stunning grand entrance at the official website (The Jane), though the rooms aren't nothing to brag about (no bigger then 50 sq ft.). Can't beat the $100 dollars a night in the Big Apple.

This photo in particular, of the front desk of The Jane, screams Tower of Terror =)

• Functional & Decorative

Re: The real Tower of Terror?

Actually, I have always understood it to be the Hollywood Tower in Los Angeles to be the inspiration--at least, as far as the exterior goes. Google it, it's an actual apartment building in Hollywood, and the sign in particular is very similar (Wikipidea also mentions it being the inspiration).
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• no flash photography...

isn't that pretty much how all hotel staff dressed in the 1900's?

I love how the rooms don't have bathrooms...nice.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

That's really cool, I wonder if the people at Disney saw this place before building the rides.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

Sorry, but don't buy it. The TOT was inspired by several Los Angeles area hotels including the Biltmore, the Norconian and the Mission Inn.

The Biltmore, Downtown LA (Notice the ceiling) inspired the lobby for WDW:

The Mission Inn, Riverside, CA inspired the lobby for DCA:

The Norconian in Norco, CA (Home to a wild Snow White wrap party that Walt forbade his animators to ever speak of, and inspiration for decorative touches at the attractions in Florida and California):
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd8ScxXQBls&feature=fvw]YouTube - Norconian Hotel Then and Now Part 1[/ame]

• Functional & Decorative

Good points, ducksman. Here's some pics of the Hollywood Tower Apartments. Notice how similar the sign is! Exterior has some similarities too, but admittedly not as much. It's really all about the sign.

The apartments and sign are easily visible from the 101 freeway, near the Hollywood Bowl area.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?