• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

8/9: Editor's Note - Duffy at DCA & Epcot

The next big Disney marketing push is a new character named Duffy, supposedly Mickey's little teddy bear that travels the world with him. Way-too-cute Duffy makes his big debut in the American parks Oct. 14th at DCA and Epcot. Expect a major campaign, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XotxKZxUFUA"]since he's already huge in Japan[/ame] and has the potential for massive sales of the plush and all the accessories. Look for photo locations in DCA and Epcot as well as the obligatory viral marketing this fall, so get your credit cards ready.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 8/9: Editor's Note - Duffy at DCA & Epcot

How is this different than Disney Bear? My kids have a few different Disney Bears and even a book about Mickey visting the parks with his Disney Bear?

• Pilot EdForceOne

this will be interesting to see if it latches on like it has in TDL.

And thank you Al for posting your editor notes here in the discussion forum.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    this will be interesting to see if it latches on like it has in TDL.

And thank you Al for posting your editor notes here in the discussion forum.
    Yah I know. I apologize in advance for saying this but that thing looks really creepy in a way.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by dsnypaul View Post
    How is this different than Disney Bear? My kids have a few different Disney Bears and even a book about Mickey visting the parks with his Disney Bear?
    I agree, there is no difference between Duffy, and the Disney Bear, that first made his appearance at DL at least 5 years ago. In fact, there was a rainbow assortment of Duffs in the Emporium and World of Disney Stores, and a year or two later, many of them found their way over to the AMS Character Warehouse on Orangethorpe and Lemon. Sorry, but this isn't news, its olds.

I'd rather that they concentrate on bringing us REAL Disney characters that don't get nearly enough park time, instead giving us Duff Bear,

How about taking the bear to Universal and have him pose with a can of Duff Beer! HAHAHAHAHAH!!

Ok, so this has been bothering me. I started to search the web and found my daughter's Disney Bear that she sleeps with every night, sold for $250 on EBAY! So I called my wife up, she went through the Disney Bear book we bought a couple years ago and Mickey's Bear was just called Disney Bear. I also remember seeing him at a Meet and Greet in the Once Upon a Toy Shop at Downtown Disney at WDW.

• The Study of Wumbo

Interesting. I want one.

I'm just curious as to where he will be sold in DCA and Epcot.

I agree that it would be a better idea to bring some old characters back first. Who doesn't want an Oswald plush?
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Munchings & Crunchings

I posted this in the Tokyo forum too, since the "Duffy" version is from there. This is interesting news. I have no idea how Disney is going to market him differently than his earlier "Disney Bear" version, because, like Aladdin said, those ended up at the Character Outlets.

They're going to have to do something drastically different if they want the same success OLC is having with "Duffy" and now "Shellie May". I think the US fans will be a lot more skeptical about it, to be honest.

Personally, I like the Japanese version (the plush, not that walkaround character) so much more than the original, and I hope Disney goes for that quality this time. If they can do some "fan service" stuff like releasing attraction costumes for the stuffed bear, then maybe they can do it right with this relaunch.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

That Shellie looks a heck of a lot like "Hello Kittie".

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    That Shellie looks a heck of a lot like "Hello Kittie".
    Hmm...not sure about that. Shellie May looks just like Duffy the Disney Bear...only with a bow, and pink. I don't think she looks anything like Hello Kitty. Marie, from the Aristocats, on the other hand...

BTW, here is a picture of Shellie May, and Hello Kitty to compare.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Gurgi, I misread your other post about the prototype Cat. I thought the name of that was Shellie. The prototype cat is what reminded me a Hello Kitty.

(from gurgi in a TDL post about Duffy)
    Also, I wanted to mention this before, because I thought it was interesting. Apparently Disney was toying with a "friend" for "Disney Bear" here too...only not a bear. Check this out...it's "Disney Cat". So, Shellie May could have been a cat too! I don't know how recent they were developing this, but I guess they were trying to diversify a while ago too.

Disney Bear Pink Cat Prototype Furry Plush Duffy Sample - eBay (item 110563550391 end time Aug-01-10 19:01:47 PDT)

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Gurgi, I misread your other post about the prototype Cat. I thought the name of that was Shellie. The prototype cat is what reminded me a Hello Kitty.
    Oh, yeah, that prototype does kind of look like Hello Kitty. I was using it as an example that Disney was toying with the idea of creating a friend for the US Disney Bear. I don't know when OLC was thinking of Shellie May...maybe both companies were trying at the same time. Either way, I sure like the final design of Shellie May better than the hot pink kitty...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

OMG you are kidding me right??? Please tell me this is for a limited time!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Jack's Posse

Duffy looks so cute I want one!!! ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the ******* for it!
    Mike Skellington
    My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.