• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

11/15: Deck the Parks

Weiss Promoted, Disney World Update, Holiday Decor, Everest Photos, Pixel Pursuit, More... Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• e komo mai

Re: 11/15: Deck the Parks

• e komo mai

Re: EE - I'm curious about the bamboo as well. That stuff grows really fast. Those trees could block out the mountain really quick if they don't maintain them. (I've had dealings with bamboo in my friend's yard. It's a handful to tend to.)

As for the wooden foot tied to the hitching rail, I hope that's how big the yeti's foot really is. Even bigger would be so cool.

• I love Florida - and lamp

Al Weiss over all Disney theme parks? He's done a very nice job here in Florida; true, it's less tempting than ever for tourists to leave the property, but off-property just seems to get worse and worse.

It seems that the facilities on both 192 and I-Drive just get seedier as time goes on. I don't know if it's due to expansions at WDW and Universal, or never quite recovering from 9/11 or ??? I like Old Town, for example, but I'm a local. I would be so disappointed if I'd driven down from Illinois or something.

I stayed at a night at the Castle on I Drive a week and a half ago, what an incredibly run-down place... plus, they'll slap an unadvertised seven dollar "resort fee" on top of your rate quote (for parking and phone calls). Not to slam this facility in particular (it's pretty common on the I-Drive corridor), but you can get into a value resort on property for $75 or so, so why bother with the congested, tourist trap that is I-Drive?

Anyhow, while I hope for a fifth gate at the World, I'd be pretty satisfied just to see the other four parks get beefed up. That will be challenge enough in itself with the focus on Anaheim and Shanghai.

This could be a way retire Jay. Put a new guy under him which basically does most of his job, and then remove the manager above. It's a very common practice.

• time to go

Cool Re: 11/15: Deck the Parks

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDisneyDad
    This could be a way retire Jay. Put a new guy under him which basically does most of his job, and then remove the manager above. It's a very common practice.
    Or... prepare the underlings to take over when the manager promotes.

There have been whisperings in the investment community, than when Mitchell steps down as Chairman of the Board, Thomas Staggs might get the spot. Well, who would take over as CFO? Rasulo's background would make him a likely candidate.

So perhaps it's not retirement they're planning for, but a promotion.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Oh no... No WDWizing of Disneyland Matt wouldn't let them..

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Banned User

Yes... or move Jay down. Remember, it's not about reporting to Jay, it's about reporting to Bob Iger...

From what I understand, Iger hates middle-men. Every middle man in the Disney Company is on the edge right now, mainly becuase Iger wants to look at ways to make his own decisions at lower levels. Eisner got blamed for lots of low level decisions he didn't make. Iger seems to be a tad smarter, and he realizes that he needs to make the decisions because he'll be the one held accountable anyway.

It all makes sense.

Re: The MK Christmas tree, I don't think it's supposed to stay in that rose garden area there the whole time. My understanding is that it's going to move back to Town Square after they film the Christmas Parade on December 3rd.

At least I hope so, I think it looks much more festive in Town Square.

• MiceAge Columnist

It will be moved to Town Square, yes.

I don't have strong feelings either way. It's a bit lonely out there near the castle, but it's not un-pretty.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Re: EE - I'm curious about the bamboo as well. That stuff grows really fast. Those trees could block out the mountain really quick if they don't maintain them. (I've had dealings with bamboo in my friend's yard. It's a handful to tend to.)

Maybe AK needs some pandas.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Durango & Sliverton NGRR

This link takes you to a site describing the new Expedition Everest attraction from a Big Foot (Yeti) expert.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo...eti-adventure/

I think the Christmas tree causes traffic problems no matter where they put it. I seem to remember a lot of clogging around it, no matter what time of day I was there.

I hope they beef up MGM and AK before building a 5th gate. It's gnt a good thing when a family can blow off AK during their vacation, as we often do, because there is so little for a family with under-6 kids to do there. Maybe if they removed Dinoland and replaced it with something worthy of a Disney theme park, not some county fair cheeseball rides....