• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

The Disney/Pixar/DreamWorks Animation artists show of the year! 12/11/10

Join the artists behind
    'Tangled', 'Toy Story 3', 'The Princess and the Frog', 'Up', 'Megamind', 'Shrek Forever After',
    'How to Train Your Dragon', 'Coraline'
    and many more!

The Super Big Micro Show
    December 11, 2010 - January 4, 2011
    Opening Reception / Dec 11, 7:00PM - 11:00PM

The modest origins of the Micro Show began with a group of artists working at Disney. Creating personal, bite-size works of art became a respite from their daily creative grind. Eventually they gathered all the pieces and exhibited them in a micro-sized nook at the end of a hallway, and the Micro Gallery was born!

Nucleus is excited to present the most macro of the Micro Shows thus far. Featuring the talents working at Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks, artists were invited to all but wallpaper our upstairs Atrium gallery with their micro-sized creations of both traditional 2D and 3D media.

This exhibit is sure to be an awe-inspiring event, not to mention a personal glimpse into extraordinary talents and minds behind your favorite animated films!

Featuring Artists:

Andy Schuhler Story Artist
    Aurian Redson, Story Artist
    Austin Madison, Animator
    Barbra Pushies
    Ben Balistreri, Story Artist
    Bill Perkins, VisDev Artist
    Bill Schwab, VisDev Artist
    Brian Kesinger, Story and Layout Artist
    Brittany Lee, VisDev Artist
    Cassia Harries: Sculptor
    Chen-yi Chang, Story Artist
    Chris Mitchell
    Clio Chiang, Story Artist
    Daniel Arriaga, VisDev Artist
    Darren Webb, Story Artist
    Dave Derrick, Story
    Dave Pimentel, Head of Story
    Don Hall, Director
    Ed Gombert, Head of Story
    Jeff Snow, Head of Story
    Jeff Turley, VisDev Artist
    Jenny Lerew, Story Artist
    Jeremy Costello, Production Department Manager
    Jeremy Spears, Story Artist
    Jin Kim, VisDev Artist
    Joe Moshier, Visual Development Artist
    John Musker, Director
    John Puglisi, Director
    Josie Trinidad, Story Artist
    Justin Cram, VisDev Artist
    Kendelle Hoyer, Story Artist
    Lauren MacMullen, Story Artist
    Leo Matsuda, Story Artist
    Lissa Treiman, Story Artist
    Lorelay Bove, VisDev Artist
    Louie Del Carmen, Story
    Mark Kennedy, Head of Story
    Mark Walton, Story
    Michael Labash
    Mike Gabriel, Art Director
    Mike Giaimo, Art Director
    Mike Lester, Story Artist
    Mike Yamada
    Minkyu Lee, Animator
    Nagisa Koyama
    Nancy Kruse, Story Artist
    Nate Wragg, VisDev Artist
    Nicole Mitchell, Story Artist
    Normand Lemay, Story Artist
    Paul Briggs, Head of Story
    Pete Sohn
    Rad Sechrist
    Raymond Persi
    Ryan O’Loughlin, Story
    Ryan Savas, Story Artist
    Shane Prigmore, Head of Story
    Shiyoon Kim, VisDev Artist
    Steve Anderson, Director
    Steve Macleod, Story Artist
    Ted Mathot, Head of Story
    Toby Shelton, Head of Story
    Trevor Jimenez
    Vi-Dieu Nguyen, Story Artist
    Victoria Ying, VisDev Artist
    Will Mata, Story Artist

...AND MORE!!

Gallery Nucleus 210 East Main St, Alhambra CA 91801
    The Super Big Micro Show - Nucleus | Art Gallery and Store
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: The Disney/Pixar/DreamWorks Animation artists show of the year! 12/11/10

Fantastic turnout by the artists from Walt Disney Animation Studios and DreamWorks Animation supporting the show, just a spectacular array of talent displayed on the walls and on sculpture podiums.

A Upstairs Gallery wall was available for all guests to add their own art to the event:

My Niece on the left and another young artist on her right:

Again, the variety of personal styles and subject matter chosen by the Animation professionals was dazzling and many times, wonderfully funny and hilariously twisted. Longtime WDAS artist Mike Gabriel, Co-Director of Pocahontas, donated this wonderful homage to Mary Blair's 1952 animated short, The Little House for the night's raffle:

Here's a few more of the pieces:

Last edited by ALIASd; 12-12-2010 at 10:44 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Jessie: exuberent & fun!!

1. THAT'S TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!
    2. I like the signature, 'cuz if John Lasseter weren't born, we'd be NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jessie is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My fav part in 2 is:
    Buzz: clears throat)
    I just wanted to say you're a bright young woman with a beautiful "yarnful" of hair... er, "hairful" of yarn. It's...uh...woah. (clears throat) I must go!
    Jessie: Well, aren't you the sweetest space toy I ever met!
    Buster: (barking)
    Slinky: What's that? Bark, bark? Uh...this fellow says he needs to go out back for a little "private time"!
    Jessie: That critter needs help! (jumps on toy car) Yodle-ay-HEEE-HOOO!!!!!
    Buzz: (wings suddenly pop open)

Also, my fav part in 3 is:
    Jessie: turns on Spanish music)
    Buzz: involenterily starts dancing) I...I don't know what came over me!
    Jessie: goo-goo eyes) Just go with it, Buzz!
    (Then, they start doing the Paso Doble to a Spanish version of "You've Got a Friend in Me". Towards the end of the dance, Woody tosses Jessie a rose to catch in her mouth. It's awesome.)

Go to the EBHO threads!!! They need YOU!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Thanks

A few more notes on a terrific night. The WDAS crew was visibly giddy with the success of Tangled and you couldn't help but be thrilled for them. It was the talk of the night, as were a slew of other new projects in various stages of development. I had the chance to chat up the always sweet and too funny John Musker (Co-Director of The Princess and the Frog, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid), Stephen Anderson (Director of Meet The Robinsons and next year's Winnie The Pooh movie) who kindly added this sketch of The Bowler Hat Guy to my sketchbook.

He told me that they've completed about 60% color on the film and they really happy with all the hard work thus far. The fabulous Paul Felix is the Art Director and he's got a fantastic crew so he felt even more lucky and optimistic for Pooh's return to the big screen next year.

Along with Musker, Anderson and Gabriel WDAS was repesented by Visual Development artists Victoria Ying, Lorelay Bove, Josie Trinidad, Scott Watanabe plus Jeremy Spears, Joe Pitt and more. I talked to DWA's Dave Pimentel, Louie del Carmen and the truly too nice for words Mark Walton. Mark was at Disney Feature Animation for years and famously voiced the character Rhino the hamster in Bolt and has been at DWA most recently. He is happily working on an exciting new soon-to-be-announced project and is genuinely grateful and proud of his career, such a sweetheart!

Mark Walton in the center of the gallery, John Musker in the center of the group on the right:

It was great to see late arrival and show participant Chris Sanders walk in, he was a longtime Disney Story Artist (Mulan) and Lilo & Stitch's creator, Co-Writer and Co-Director. He and his writing and directing partner Dean DeBlois famously joined DreamWorks Animation and were asked to revamp the studio's How to train Your Dragon to great acclaim and box office sucess. They are currently serving similar duties on the in-production feature, The Croods. It was great talking with him about that film's progress and he shared that he is continues to be amazed by the constant surprising turns that a film takes. I asked him if this is a by-product of so many collaborators or perhaps just the nature of an endeavor that takes so long to produce. He said that the surprises/changes just present themselves naturally as part of the story process and continue to keep him on his toes and simply and happily amaze him. He seemed perfectly happy to me, and very generously complimented some random Stitch and Lilo character exercises I had in my sketchbook. Wow, what a thrill! Below is his version, Thank You again Chris!

Last edited by ALIASd; 12-12-2010 at 11:56 AM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Many more photos from the opening reception of The Super Big Micro Show at:

http://www.gallerynucleus.com/photos/72157625473337443#

The exhibition runs thru January 4th, don't miss it!