• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

11/22: Night Moves

Future of Pleasure Island, Raglan Road, Club Cool, Osborne Family Lights, More... Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• All you need is LOVE

Re: 11/22: Night Moves

Wow what a article thanks Kevin I love all the pictures

• meganmegaphone

ah yes... the ever reliable light rail.... ode to MUNI, how I love thee....

But I'm sure a light-rail system done disney woule be much, much better than city run public transportation... I'm just laughing at how un-reliable a beaucracy can make a seemingly otherwise reliable form of public transportation.

Regarding the refurb to pleasure Island, from what I have seen regarding the layout, like much of the resort area, it seems incredibly spread out. It would therefore make sense that they would want to combine all 3 sections of the PI as to un-complicate an area that to an outsider (like me) comes off as somewhat overwhelming. The only thing I would wonder about is how they would regulate admission to the currently 18 and over/ 21 and over areas of the park. It is my understanding that to enter this section (where all of the clubs are) one must be at least over 18 and even then many times in the company of someone over 21. If Disney were to combine all areas of the PI, would this give way to admission on a club by club basis vs, the current 1 admission into the club area (which allows, from my understanding, the ability to "club hop" so to speak?

I only hope construction doesn't begin too soon! I'd like to play a little while when I'm there for the CP!

"Back off, Lilo... he's all mine!"
    My MySpace... or...My Facebook
    Coldplay = Love

"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)

• Senior Minion

Kevin , thanks for the article.
    It is really interesting to see what Disney has plans for in the future, for the Florida parks. It would be really cool if they could build a park with a Western theme, since Knott's Berry Farm out here has gone coasterland, and Disneyland needs that little extra in Frontierland.
    Also I have heard that about the monorail a dozen times and I dont blame Disney if they dont want to build another Monorail. Light rail is a great alternative as long as it is done with high regard for safety.

Those lights are just astounding at MGM! The work to produce that is truly amazing, putting Clark W. Griswald to shame!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• The one, the only...

Kevin did a fine job originally detailing the prospects for a fifth park. I think that the enthusiasm just "filled in the blanks" and people went wild in speculation. Disney just reported that their hotels were are 95% occupancy. Now that tells me that they are successful in getting people to Orlando. Now all they have to do is get another park to justify further expansion.

As to Downtown Disney... I think that Disney is making a mistake to compare itself to Universal. DtD's problem is just that it is not as fun as it could be. Disney is so focused on selling, they have not included enough "fun" in the mix. The Adventurer's club is a jewel. What they should do is pattern more like it. Short comedy plays with different themes. Go after the 35 year old plus market. They have more money to spend and their kids are old enough to stay at the hotel. These people aren't so much interested in dance clubs as much as a night out. Going club hoping from the Adventurer's club to a Mystery Club to a Western Club (such as Billy Hill at DL) to a Medieval club would provide enough entertainment to keep people coming back. Also new skits for AC would help too.

I just don't think that new facades or fireworks is the answer to bring people out.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Even WDW light rail would have to go up, as railroads have yet to devise a grade crossing that some chucklehead won't try to run. Signal synchronization, cameras, and four-quadrant gates, while they discourage theg reat majority of the population from trying to beat the train, have all failed before the efforts of the truly stupid.

Lest you say something about not making omelets without breaking eggs, be aware than it's all but the tiny majority of cases where the estate of the chucklehead doesn't try to hang the liability on the railroad. A grade crossing anywhere on WDW property might as well have an attendant sign nearby, rendered in 10-foot neon letters, reading "ATTRACTIVE NUISANCE - PLEASE SUE."

I do agree that conventional light rail would be cheaper than a monorail expansion, as the parts and construction management are much closer to being commodities. WDW Transport could select vehicles from a number of essentially off-the-shelf designs, and not be dependent on the not-so-tender mercies of Bombardier, yet again.

• Former Epcot CM

Whats a light rail? It sounds intriguingly modern.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Light rail?

A good place to edify one's self: North American Light Rail Site

One might call it a streetcar, or a tram in Europe, but "light rail" as it's generally known in the U.S. has minimal street running.

Is there any word yet if the Adventurer's Club will survive? I just love that place!

Marc

• Former Epcot CM

A tram!? A TRAM to a Disney theme park!? How un magical is that!?
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

A few weeks back I went to Raglan Road on a Thursday night about 9.
    The place was full and there was a half hour wait for a table. So there was no problem filling the place for dinner, drinks and entertainment.

The food was very good. I had the lamb shank and this was a large serving.
    It was expensive, but so is everything on Disney property so it wasn't surprising.

The last few times I have been at Pleasure Island, the place has been dead. And these have been Saturday nights. I think part of the reason is with longer park hours, and extra evening hours. I fly cross country to visit WDW and if I can get 3 extra hours on the rides or go to a bunch of nightclubs, I'm going to stay at the theme parks. Then there's the issue of Disney downsizing their investment in Pleasure Island, first the disappearance of confetti at the "New Year's Eve" celebration, then doing away with the fireworks altogether, the disappearance of merchandise for the individual clubs.

I can see them going to more "outside" restaurants to make money. I love the Adventurer's Club too and hope they won't do away with it. They could take it and turn it into a dinner show, along the lines of the Hoop Dee Doo, where you have dinner and drinks served as well as the different shows. Take some work, but I can see that being very popular and a way to save the concept if Disney management is dead set on completely redoing PI.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus
    The last few times I have been at Pleasure Island, the place has been dead. And these have been Saturday nights. I think part of the reason is with longer park hours, and extra evening hours.
    Yeah, because the cast members are still at work and/or because cast gets in free Sun-Thurs. Does anyone else really go there?

PI is boring. They play 5 year old music videos and the "DJs" just train-wreck them together. House of Blues' service-industry night on Sundays is wildly successful every week. You'd think some PI managers would go over and see how to run a profitable party.

Now... I don't know how you guys can say the monorail is so expensive. Typical installations of a monorail system are 1/2 to 1/3 the cost per mile. If you elevate the "light" rail, the costs go through the roof. (Can you imagine grade crossings on property? We can't keep guests from crashing into buses or each other already... nevermind Bad Show)

Monorails are much less disruptive both in construction and operation. WDW has the molds to build the track (offsite!) and the expertise to build the trainsets. We wouldn't necessarily have to go with Bombardier. The Mk IV was built by WED and Lockheed.

Great article (as always), but I disagree with your contention that CityWalk charges for parking. The theme parks charge for parking--absent an evening event, parking is free after 6 p.m. (sometimes earlier, unofficially), which is when CityWalk really gets going. Their advertising always stresses this point. It may not still be the case, but for a while, if you were just going to the movies during the day, you could even valet park for free.

Also, look at Pointe Orlando (in a similar position to DD, if they don't charge for parking, their spaces will fill up with people headed to the convention center). Conventional wisdom holds that charging for parking is a primary reason the place is so dead.

Charging for parking would drive off the locals (including cast members), who are probably more important to PI than any other WDW park.

The best thing for PI would be to re-gate it (tho some cosmetic changes could only help, too, especially with the Merriwether Adam Pleasure backstory dropped and forgotten). It was meant to be an adult playground--hard to relaxs and have a good time when you're getting run down by strollers early in the evening, then surrounded by surly, unsupervised teens later in the evening. If parking becomes a problem, why not just require room keys to ride the bus?