Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

2/22: Subject to Change

Openings STILL in Flux, Pirates Premiere, CM Morale, More... Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Subject to Change - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

re: 2/22: Subject to Change

Your bashing of Walt Disney World's Star Tours was totally uncalled for and unjustified. Did you ever consider the reason they didn't need to spend money on a gift shop or exterior enhancements is because both are already superior to the Disneyland version, and both have already received major enhancements? The gift shop was completely rebuilt 10 years ago, and the exterior had the Jedi Training Academy stage built a couple years ago. Also, since there's already two more star speeders in the WDW version, adding capacity isn't necessary. TDO normally deserves to be bashed, but in this case it's unwarranted.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Shaping up to be an awesome summer with Star Tours 2 and Little Mermaid. Thanks for the update Al!

• Banned User

You mean "2/22" Typo. <ADMIN NOTE: Fixed>

My thoughts.

A private Club 33 in DCA is overkill. The location at the theater is completely wrong. With the failure of wait service restaurants at DCA, why revive it so soon? They need to wait until demand is realized. Besides, I think the perfect location of such a restaurant is overlooking Paradise Bay.

It is sad that the Star Tours in WDW is substandard. They keep killing the golden goose there.

Employee recognition is a sore point with many people. Good workers should be recognized by management, but the criteria for a company wide recognition seems ridiculous. This seems like another corporate policy gone wild. Why do another meaningless initiative. Give it a break!!!
    Last edited by Dustysage; 02-22-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Typo fixed

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by ryno1986 View Post
    Your bashing of Walt Disney World's Star Tours was totally uncalled for and unjustified. Did you ever consider the reason they didn't need to spend money on a gift shop or exterior enhancements is because both are already superior to the Disneyland version, and both have already received major enhancements? The gift shop was completely rebuilt 10 years ago, and the exterior had the Jedi Training Academy stage built a couple years ago. Also, since there's already two more star speeders in the WDW version, adding capacity isn't necessary. TDO normally deserves to be bashed, but in this case it's unwarranted.

Bashing? I didn't get the sense there was much bashing going on. It really seems like you are over reacting a bit.

Al, the addition of Subway has been one of the best things Disney has done for the cast members in a very long time. When I first heard about in coming I had my doubts, I wasn't sure what the prices would be or what kind of menu the cast would get. It turns out that the prices are the same as any other Subway and looks to be the full menu.

I was kind of hoping you would mention the Cast Member window at Village Haus on how much the prices were hiked for the cast members. That is reall downer for cast morale.
    Last edited by Donald1980; 02-22-2011 at 09:34 AM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: 2/22: Subject to Change

Quote Originally Posted by ryno1986 View Post
    I love how the defense here is "The gift shop was rebuilt 10 years ago"

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    A private Club 33 in DCA is overkill. The location at the theater is completely wrong. With the failure of wait service restaurants at DCA, why revive it so soon? They need to wait until demand is realized. Besides, I think the perfect location of such a restaurant is overlooking Paradise Bay.
    Eventually the demand for wait service restaurants at DCA will return once the expansion find it's footing. But I agree that a Club 33 in DCA is a bit too soon. There's no guarantee that such a concept at DCA would even be successful or in demand, plus they already serve alcohol in that park anyway, right? I would be fine with it as a standard wait service restaurant. At the same time, a restaurant in a building designed as a theater is still all around weird. I wish they had gone with the original airing of the Disney Story idea.

Little Mermaid, if it lives up to the hype, sounds like it should stand on it's own, and not be bundled with Star Tours. ST should open with WDW's, or earlier. Why can't it open the same weekend as AIDs Walk? That happens before the parks open anyway. ST should open first, then when the hoopla has a few weeks to die down, LM will get to make it's splash and hopefully stay in people's mind. It seems like the one to come last will be the one to linger in people's mind, LM and DCA need that help, ST and DL doesn't. Soundsational should open during spring break, why wait to compete with LM and ST?

WDW Star Tours - If ST2 takes place between the trilogies, then the Ewok/ATAT/bunker theme doesn't fit anymore, does it?

Club CC - If it's going to compete with C33, it really needs to be a special experience. I'm thinking of something like Blue Bayou, with the moonlit environment. Golden age of Hollywood setting is not enough, maybe something like the Magic Castle in Hollywood?

Tomorrowland Tower at DL Hotel - It should be where the former Dancing Waters and pool is, completing the four sides around the Neverland pool.

Cast member food - They really should subsidize it to make it more affordable - isn't it true that happy, well fed cast members make for better workers?

Legacy award - Corporate suits are so out of touch, but doesn't George K. have a say? Or is he overruled?
    Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 02-22-2011 at 10:54 AM.

• Multi-decade CM

Re: The Walt Disney Legacy Award,

As I have stated previously, Disney would kill its own grandmother before complimenting a Cast Member.

A while ago, I did an experiment and tracked a number of compliments through City Hall to see if the Cast Member would ever receive it.

Of all the compliments tracked, only 33% ever reached the Cast Member.

Sad

• Bucket List Car

Wonderful update, as usual. Lots of cool things coming down the pike.

So are "soft openings" now typically only for CM's and their families? On our last trip to Disneyland, TSMM was going through CM previews - it was tough to explain to our youngest why people were in line for in, but *we* couldn't check it out. Not sure if that was the same as a soft opening or not.

Now we're thinking about heading to Disneyland the week before Memorial Day weekend (with the stay extending into the first part of the holiday weekend, but giving us Sunday/Monday to drive back to Colorado) - and if Little Mermaid isn't *quite* "open", but they are running some soft openings, perhaps we might still have a chance to see it...

• Disneyland is your land.

As a former CM, your update on cast member's eateries was refreshing news. I still find it amazing that the food you can get outside of Disneyland probably tastes better than what they serve to the CM's. It's cheap yes, but damn sometimes its not very appetizing.

It must also be frustrating for the Anaheim property that they are getting rid of the awards and going with something that sounds like only a corporate person is going to be given anyway. Odd indeed.

Amazing to think that this April I haven't been to the park in three years and I only have more more year to wait before all the new stuff is built! Can't wait to get back someday.
    Class of 2005...

• Banned User

Blog Entries

We really want to build this landmark building at DCA. There's going to be a full service kitchen in the basement. But we have no idea what we're constructing this building for. But it's gonna be great. It sounds to me like the more things change the more DCA is the same.

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeegit View Post
    So are "soft openings" now typically only for CM's and their families? On our last trip to Disneyland, TSMM was going through CM previews - it was tough to explain to our youngest why people were in line for in, but *we* couldn't check it out. Not sure if that was the same as a soft opening or not.

Now we're thinking about heading to Disneyland the week before Memorial Day weekend (with the stay extending into the first part of the holiday weekend, but giving us Sunday/Monday to drive back to Colorado) - and if Little Mermaid isn't *quite* "open", but they are running some soft openings, perhaps we might still have a chance to see it...
    Soft openings still happen for the every day guest, but they kind of serve a different purpose than they did years ago. They help soften the crowds for when the attractions do open. For example, if I were to ride the attraction before it opened, that will be good enough for me and will not have this need to try and ride it when it opens. Soft Openings today help soften the opening crowds. Not saying this is how it goes for every cast member or every AP, but it does for some.

Plus soft openings to the cast members and APs help get word out on what the rides are about, what to expect and whether they recommend it. It's always beneficial to Disney when their cast members can prefer or recommend a ride. With the large amount of APs these days, the same goes for them as it would for cast when it comes to recommending a ride.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Donald1980 View Post
    Soft openings still happen for the every day guest, but they kind of serve a different purpose than they did years ago. They help soften the crowds for when the attractions do open. For example, if I were to ride the attraction before it opened, that will be good enough for me and will not have this need to try and ride it when it opens. Soft Openings today help soften the opening crowds. Not saying this is how it goes for every cast member or every AP, but it does for some.

Plus soft openings to the cast members and APs help get word out on what the rides are about, what to expect and whether they recommend it. It's always beneficial to Disney when their cast members can prefer or recommend a ride. With the large amount of APs these days, the same goes for them as it would for cast when it comes to recommending a ride.
    Soft Openings and Previews are really more about having the CMs operating the Attraction get practice. It's one thing to operate the attraction with no guests, and another to do with guests. Previews and Soft Openings are a more controlled environment before the mass of humanity can descend upon them.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast