Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: 4/19: Grim Grinning?, Part III

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Besides all this, in accepting the premise "ghosts are real," you give a lot of latitude to their appearance. The ghostly world is a grotesque world. You have a head that's nearly a skull but still has his ears intact. But the skull and ears are nothing beyond the actually human in their appearance. You also have some ghosts that are only semi-humanoid (pop-up ghouls, organ banshees).

So even if you throw the ghosts into the mix, you still have nothing that takes you into a cartoonish world; they stay just within the bounds of what "real" ghosts are thought to look like (if you're someone who believes in the possibility of ghosts). It's their behavior that's fantasy ("fun-loving ghosts" do not exist in anyone's idea of the real world).
    In film, literature and theater, there is a well-known term for this. It's called "suspension of disbelief." Judgment is withheld and fantastic, exaggerated elements are accepted as part of reality. But, for this presentation technique to be truly effective, there must be a semblance of truth and consistencies in the reality being presented.

The queue elements are too disconnected and too much of a departure from what is established and dominates in the larger body of work, that body being what exists within the mansion itself. Again, and in short, the queue characters and elements simply do not fit.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 05-21-2011 at 04:06 PM.

• Yoiks!

Shakespeare said it best in "A Midsummer's Nights Dream" when the Prince and Princess were watching the badly performed play. I'm butchering the quote but basically the Prince said that we need to use our imagination (willing suspension of disbelief) when watching a play. In his case (as with the queue) a LOT of imagination is needed.

I would filter my perception and only see the good in the queue (tributes, touching the gravestones, beautiful details...

I preferred the original Scooby Doo series where the ghosts were NOT real. There was a real mystery to solve (and I was too dumb to see the obvious pattern). When the ghosts were real, it just became a fantasy so it lost something there. Maybe it was because I was getting older, or because they added Scrappy into the mix, but I found the show lacking something. The queue does the same thing to the Mansion. I realize that it does it in the opposite way though.

At the end of the day, I think most adult guests will still talk about how great the ride was and forget about the queue. People will not become bored of the Mansion because of it.

This was a really interesting conversation. I'm glad we had it.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post
    ... we need to use our imagination (willing suspension of disbelief) when watching a play.
    I just want to add that a lack of differentiation between "real" ghosts and "fantasy" ghosts, which appears to be the only (or at least the main) difference displayed in this thread, doesn't mean that I don't enjoy that suspension of disbelief. When I visit the Haunted Mansion I'm visiting a house haunted by spirit, just the same as when I sack the town or fly over London or careen through space. Suspension of disbelief is the cornerstone of Disney attractions, and one of the things that elevates them above the standard amusement park ride. I completely adopt the illusion, and I enjoy the trip that those rides take me on.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011