Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/19: Grim Grinning?, Part III

Kevin takes a look at the Haunted Mansion's queue enhancements... Discuss them here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Grim Grinning? - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• former CM

Thanks, Kevin! That was excellent!

• DL College Program 97/98

Re: 4/19: Grim Grinning?, Part III

I love how everyone keeps arguing that the queue is optional and that you don't have to go through it if you don't like it, but right there in the article is a photo of a cast member blocking the bypass and forcing everyone to go through it.

Classic irony.

• Former DL & WDW CM

Quote Originally Posted by sgtfox View Post
    I love how everyone keeps arguing that the queue is optional and that you don't have to go through it if you don't like it, but right there in the article is a photo of a cast member blocking the bypass and forcing everyone to go through it.

Classic irony.
    I thought perhaps the picture was taken early after opening, when two queues wouldn't be needed and they're having everyone go through the same one, but I could be wrong.

Blog Entries

I'm confused, the beginning of the article said you had several things to share, but all that was included was the graveyard. Are we missing the rest of the article where you discuss the ending and other new enhancements or are those coming in later days?

• MiceAge Columnist

The Cast Member in that photo is in fact urging folks to take the shorter bypass, but no one is taking him up on it.

That line at the start of the article should be edited. Originally, I wrote 12 pages that STARTED with the HM story (and later progressed to Meet Mickey, and the death in the MK)... they ran out of order.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

I would think that a first-time rider would opt for the longer que becuase they would want to experience the "entire" ride.

Just a thought.
    - Bobd

Ahhhh! that's what the ring is about...Thanks for explaining it!

Great article! Thanks for pointing out those tributes, I always wondered if the just picked out random names for the sake of rhyming or if there was a tribute behind it.

• Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Bobd20011 View Post
    I would think that a first-time rider would opt for the longer que becuase they would want to experience the "entire" ride.

Just a thought.
    My thoughts exactly. I know that's what I would want to do if it was my first time.

How did he come up with that fact in the first place?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I know that's what I would want to do if it was my first time.

How did he come up with that fact in the first place?
    My thoughts are that most first time visitors are trying to see as much as possible so would generally opt for shorter lines.

• Banned User

The queue looks disappointing. The emphasis on the writing on the tombstones and the strange artwork set off the tone. I agree the whimsy was overwhelming. It should be scary or spooky. I felt the inside jokes and tributes to Imagineering to NOT be in tune with the story of the Haunted Mansion. What happened with the telling of the story? They are separate stories. Nothing gells.

The atmosphere in sunny Florida doesn't help. They need to add more trees and some fog effects. Oh well, not that I'll bother when I'm down there.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Kevin, I like your take on the tone of the new queue. Some "purists" think it changes the tone of the ride. But I've been going on Haunted Mansion rides since 1969, and know them (well, at least the U.S. versions) like the back of my hand. So anything new isn't going to change anything for me - it only adds to the sum total of the great experience of the HM.

• knell of a requiem bell

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    The queue looks disappointing. The emphasis on the writing on the tombstones and the strange artwork set off the tone. I agree the whimsy was overwhelming. It should be scary or spooky. I felt the inside jokes and tributes to Imagineering to NOT be in tune with the story of the Haunted Mansion. What happened with the telling of the story? They are separate stories. Nothing gells.

The atmosphere in sunny Florida doesn't help. They need to add more trees and some fog effects. Oh well, not that I'll bother when I'm down there.
    I agree, it should be scary and then (if they must) lighten it up a little at the end. +1 on the Trees and Fog effect - Darken the whole queue as much as possible during the day
    -GGG

• ºoºEsteban♂

I agree with you... I have not been going on the rides since 1969... but I agree that when they plus a ride, it only adds to the better experience! As long as it is not a complete change! But some new lighting, props, always add some extra magic!
    When stars are born...They possess a gift or two,
    one of those is, they have the power to make a wish come true!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Thank you Kevin. I appreciate your point of view on the new Haunted Mansion playground.

Some of it looks quite nice. The tombstones and graveyards look good and are very much in keeping with the Mansion I know and love. But some of those over the top crypts (playing games, spraying water, cutesy busts) just rub me the wrong way.

Also, I wonder if the Marty Sklar tombstone might not have been placed a little too soon, considering that he is still very much alive (though many in Imagineering can't stand him, he isn't dead yet).

On another note, I LOVE what they have done with the hitchhiking ghosts at the end of the ride. Pure brilliance. They took an old effect and updated it with modern technology to keep it fresh and entertaining. The Mansion in Florida is like a museum of Imagineering tricks of the trade. Love it!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast