Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• The Original Disney Doll

Re: 5/10: Welcome Aboard!

I'm wondering about the nausea factor for Star Tours?? I had heard rumours that the new ride might need to come with barf bags but there was no mention in Al's article if this was true. The original didn't make me sick so I hope the new version is equally tolerable. Anyone hear any news regarding this?

Star Tours - The time frame is between the trilogies, so is Princess Leia younger? The pictures I've seen of Vader show a younger, leaner, more Anakin-like version. Also the Imperial Walkers presumably didn't land on Hoth until Empire Strikes Back when they found the Rebel hideout. I also heard that there are wanted posters of Luke, was he wanted before the original Star Wars? I'm glad the Speeder Bikes are on Kashyyyk instead of the lame Ewok planet. The original Star Tours may have been a little long in the tooth, but it was still a classic, I realize this version is more encompassing of the whole Star Wars story, but I do wish they could have preserved the original in some way.

WDI not having incentive to please their customer - sounds like government jobs.
    Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 05-10-2011 at 01:47 PM.

•   
    • Minion

1. TRON Legacy's 400 million worldwide boxoffice is hardly a failure, and does not include future DVD revinue. Granted it isn't posting what seems to be Thor's numbers, but... If you want dissapointment, talk about Mars Needs Moms abismal return. I predict a lower Disney profile at Comic-con in the future. (They wheren't at Wonder-con I can tell you that.)

2. Still not a big fan of the new pool area at DL Hotel... It is way too much a Meta-Design honoring existing attractions... Not certain the changes are worth the trouble, will miss the skull rock/pirate ship tribute.

Tron Haiting

What's with all the writers hating on tron because of their opinion. It made over $400 million in theaters ALONE. I GET IT they like fluffy kids films about princesses and don't want to put much thought into fully understanding or enjoying a fun scifi flick. Not a fan of the cartoons sice a teen so tron attractions are a breath of fresh air. Hope they make something permanent in time for when the part 3 they are working on comes out. And if u want to talk turkeys, talk Prince of Persia!

Glad to hear that the Disneylander's held their tongues. I wouldn't have, and I probably would have been fired if a celebrity was being a jerk. After all I did get fired from a security job for telling Lionel Ritchie where to go. Now that I look back on that, I realize that I over reacted and was rightfully canned. Still, celebrities are just people. Funny enough, the guy that fired me didn't know that the company I worked for, had a contract with the owners of the building where he lived. Let's just say that he was very surprised to see me sitting in the lobby of his apartment building the very next morning LOL!

Regarding the ciggaret's being edited out of photos of Walt, While I personally think that, that's just silly, I suspect that Walt might have been OK with that. After all, he never smoked on his T.V. program. Official photos from the studio never showed him smoking. Then there's his quote, some of you probably know it better than I do. He was talking about Walt Disney the image verses the 'real' Walt. He said something like I smoke, swear etc. and I'd rather people not know about that. (paraphrase)

• AKA: Indyiluvu

Al promised news about soft openings, but I only see info about TLM. What about Star Tours soft openings?
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• All-American

Dusty, it's great to see that Disneyland has turned around so much over the past few years. But encouraging as they are, all these positive remarks from you and Al make me much more sad for what I consider my home resort of WDW. Do you see any hope for a turnaround, either in management or just in park operation, of the WDW parks anytime in the near future? There's some positive signs on the horizon, like FLE, the rumored Tiki Room revival, and speculation over a Brazil pavilion, but I don't if these are genuinely positive signs, or if I'm just connecting dots with lines that don't exist...

• A Weather Eye Open

Wow. The Disney nametag is (famously) worn for a reason. It's supposed to be a first name company. There's a lot of talk about all the CMs being "family" with each other. It made me wonder what I'd do if I was an operator learning how to work a new ride (and noticing things that were built but made no sense) and was being called "operator" by Imagineers barking at me. They'd hear back from me, that's for sure! And I'd remind them very clearly what Disney is supposed to be about.

The front of the line CMs don't get paid enough. THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU DO!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Tron Haiting

Quote Originally Posted by eicarr View Post
    What's with all the writers hating on tron because of their opinion. It made over $400 million in theaters ALONE. I GET IT they like fluffy kids films about princesses and don't want to put much thought into fully understanding or enjoying a fun scifi flick. Not a fan of the cartoons sice a teen so tron attractions are a breath of fresh air. Hope they make something permanent in time for when the part 3 they are working on comes out. And if u want to talk turkeys, talk Prince of Persia!
    Prince of Persia was hardly a turkey compared to Mars Needs Moms. Read on...

'Mars Needs Moms' drags down Disney's earnings | Company Town | Los Angeles Times

• Keeping Disney Solvent

Nobody has the right to disrespect anybody anywhere in a company's ladder, but one must remember WDI has more than one customer and must balance the needs of the many (paying Guests looking for greater 'Wow' factors) vs. the needs of the few (Front Line Cast Members.) I designed Starbucks stores around the world for many years and often had to lobby for the paying customers' experience against the very vocal Operations team that wanted harder, uglier, easier to clean surfaces (we called it 'bulletproofing.') This is easy to understand as we all become accustom to our surroundings regardless of how sublime, and focus on the deficiencies or time savers at the expense of whittling away at that 'wow factor' that Guests need or want. It sounds like both sides of the equation at Disney are losing the empathy required to see each other's points of view to work towards the common goal of a safe, enjoyable experience. I appreciate the front line cast me, but I also appreciate the efforts of the likes of Tony Baxter for pushing the boundries of the customer experience.

It's too bad readers believe everything Al says. 20% facts twisted to make you all interested. If you know much about statistics you'll understand how things are so easy to twist in the writers favor.
    It's good to see some positive things in Al's article. I KNOW change is good. I can't wait to see it all finished. Even Walt said Disneyland would never be complete as long as there was imagination left in the world. So no matter how much you LOVE something at one of our resorts, someday it may change!

A couple bad apples in WDI, a couple bad apples in Operations, a couple bad apples giving Al information that isn't accurate... It's too bad that Al takes what his "sources" say as fact. These folks are either bitter or being paid for info. True Disney Cast Members, Imagineers and Crew Members don't bash, they work hard to make the Walt Disney Company special.

The decision about not using the name Walt's Steakhouse in the past was based on recommendations from Operations, for real reasons. There are only 3 or 4 photos of Walt in there now. It's all celebrities. Maybe somebody should check things out first before writing it as fact.

On ALL WDI projects Operating partners are part of EVERY step of architectural design and timelines. There are always issues. The point is that WDI and Operations partner diligently to make things entertaining for the Guests while trying to keep it practical. It's pretty hard to make creative, pertinent attractions and/or entertainment practical. Nothing is perfect through any process. Its about being a team and figuring out how to make things right within the limitations set by all partners. To point fingers at one team in the process is immature and childish. I've been in many different parts of the company and know for fact that all areas have the same successes and failures.

Bashing is so unfortunate.

Re: Tang?

Well said Anton Ego

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by whatsrealal View Post
    It's too bad readers believe everything Al says. 20% facts twisted to make you all interested.
    What's too bad is that employees of the Disney Corporation join fan forums to try to shill the social media and control the corporate message.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsrealal View Post
    It's too bad that Al takes what his "sources" say as fact. These folks are either bitter or being paid for info. True Disney Cast Members, Imagineers and Crew Members don't bash, they work hard to make the Walt Disney Company special.
    To those of us who know what's happening inside, and who have been reading Al Lutz since before there was a MiceChat, what's too bad is when Disney shills try to discredit his reports with bogus posts like this. All they accomplish is to make the Company look amateurish.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

First, its funny that shill isn't even a word. Congratulations with your knowledge of the English language. Second, you have no idea if the report is bogus or not. It's funny that you think you know what going on "inside". You have to be employee to be able to say that. So if you are an employee you aren't a happy one.
    Al creates a perception, but we all know that perception is reality.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast