Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: 5/10: Welcome Aboard!

AND employees of the Walt Disney Company are allowed to be fans. That's why we work there.

• Senior Minion

Longtime employees of Burbank, Glendale and Anaheim know perfectly well that the "We're Damned Important" attitude in Glendale that Al describes, and the grief (and money) it has cost Disneyland Ops, is at least a decade and a half older than Micechat. Please, spare us the "true Disney Employees" party line, it's not going to convince anybody.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Re: Tang?

If I were the chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, I would make it mandatory that if an Imagineer didn’t already have experience as a front line cast member at a Disney Park, he or she would be required to work in Attractions for at least three months. They would have to follow the scheduling requirements and get the same measly pay and nonexistent benefits of a Casual Regular cast member. They would also have to read and be tested on the ridiculously verbose operations manuals. Maybe they’d realize how frustrating it is to have the responsibility of keeping thousands of people safe, while being pressured daily to improve efficiency despite being bogged down by wheelchairs, ECVs and GAC cards and guests who hold up the line by arguing with cast members about posted rules that they didn’t bother to read. Maybe they’d find it absurd that they’re also expected to smile, respect, value the magic, interact with guests, and “end with a thank you.” Maybe they’d understand how stressful it is to stand at the entrance of an attraction that habitually breaks down and tell angry guests that we’re experiencing “technical difficulties”, only to be yelled at by guests who take it personally, as if we intentionally broke the ride to ruin their day. Maybe they’d really feel the scorn of uncooperative guests when they are given a “Guest Control” shift for fireworks. Maybe they’d understand that they should be designing the best possible experience for the guests, who really are the crucial “client”, and that they are doing damage to the company by not taking the concerns of the operators seriously. Maybe they’d also realize that the last thing a front line cast member needs is to be further demoralized by people who savagely assert their sense of superiority. Unfortunately, this scenario is a fantasy. All the more so why it’s a tragedy that the Walt Disney Company permits its customers and higher level employees to display such disrespect for the hard working and undercompensated front line employees.

• Senior Minion

^ And that is a bingo! Well said.

- Neil Gabler

I'm reposting this to where I think is now the right place. Sorry if this is a repeat. I'm new to this and don't usually post to sites like this, but I have to express myself on this one...

If I were the chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, I would make it mandatory that if an Imagineer didn’t already have experience as a front line cast member at a Disney Park, he or she would be required to work in Attractions for at least three months. They would have to follow the scheduling requirements and get the same measly pay and nonexistent benefits of a Casual Regular cast member. They would also have to read and be tested on the ridiculously verbose operations manuals. Maybe they’d realize how frustrating it is to have the responsibility of keeping thousands of people safe, while being pressured daily to improve efficiency despite being bogged down by wheelchairs, ECVs and GAC cards and guests who hold up the line by arguing with cast members about posted rules that they didn’t bother to read. Maybe they’d find it absurd that they’re also expected to smile, respect, value the magic, interact with guests, and “end with a thank you.” Maybe they’d understand how stressful it is to stand at the entrance of an attraction that habitually breaks down and tell angry guests that we’re experiencing “technical difficulties”, only to be yelled at by guests who take it personally, as if we intentionally broke the ride to ruin their day. Maybe they’d really feel the scorn of uncooperative guests when they are given a “Guest Control” shift for fireworks. Maybe they’d understand that they should be designing the best possible experience for the guests, who really are the crucial “client”, and that they are doing damage to the company by not taking the concerns of the operators seriously. Maybe they’d also realize that the last thing a front line cast member needs is to be further demoralized by people who savagely assert their sense of superiority. Unfortunately, this scenario is a fantasy. All the more so why it’s a tragedy that the Walt Disney Company permits its customers and higher level employees to display such disrespect for the hard working and undercompensated front line employees.

I don't know why my posts keep going under the Tang? reply, but oh well..."technical difficulties"...

Again, you are assuming Imagineers have never been Cast Members. MANY have. For those that haven't been, I agree that they need to experience the Operations side. It would make them better Imagineers. That's the point of an otherwise negative post.
    Many people can't see BIG PICTURE, just what personally affects them. It's unfortunate you've had so many negative Guest experiences. It sounds like that overshadows any good Guest experiences you've had. Because one Imagineer called one Cast Member an "operator" it makes all Imagineers disrespectful. Hmmmm. Did they see the name tag? Were they rushing to finish the attraction so Guests could enjoy it? Was the Cast Member paying attention? Maybe they have bad eyesight... What ever the reason, none of us know and shouldn't assume. Shame on anybody for judging. That's not our role.

I'm enjoying the BLOG stuff. It is interesting to see what people actually believe.

It is interesting to hear people generalizing where you shouldn't generalize.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    I would have to say that they still have to work on the merchandise available in the park...

...I know most of the merchandise issues I've stated are out George's hands and it's more of a Disney Parks issue (sell everything, everywhere - every store is, essentially, a Disney Store). But I think they really need to address this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    This is absolutely one of the weak links at the resort right now and a holdover from the Paul Pressler era of generic mall mentality...
    ...The transformation of Disneyland from the Paul Pressler era back to Disneyland magic has been nearly completed. But this is one remaining hold-out that needs addressing.
    I agree on this and overall, I think George Kalogridis has been GREAT for the Disneyland Resort! But I would also love to see George, the management and creative staffs address the entertainment offerings in the park. I feel that this is another area of Disneyland that could use some attention.

As discussed in a recent thread in the DLR Forum, the Fantasyland Theatre was designed for stage shows. While I don't begrudge having Princess-themed activities in the park (yes, Princesses are very popular and should have a presence), I wish a different space could be found for the Princess Fantasy Faire. This would allow theatrical stage shows to use the Fantasyland Theatre again.

In addition, Aladdin's Oasis continues to go unused as an entertainment venue. And while the Festival Arena was recently brought to life for the Family Fun Weekends, I believe that came about to compensate for the lack of any parade offerings. Regarding parades, I was frustrated that there was no parade at Disneyland during the busy Spring Break period. In fact, by the time Soundsational opens, it will be nearly 5 months since a parade graced Main Street USA. Some of this was unavoidable due to the street repaving that is necessary for upkeep. But repaving was complete by the beginning of March and the masses of Spring Break visitors could have had some form of parade available to them.

Anyway, I hope looking at the parks' entertainment is on George's radar as something to evaluate and hopefully strengthen--just as he has done with many other areas of the resort. The opening of Soundsational this summer is definitely a huge event and I'm very excited about it!! It's a big step in the right direction, but I hope more steps are taken down that same path.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by whatsrealal View Post
    I'm enjoying the BLOG stuff. It is interesting to see what people actually believe.

It is interesting to hear people generalizing where you shouldn't generalize.
    I don't know what people should believe. What should people be generalizing about?

Is everything going so smoothly that nothing negative should be reported? Or maybe there are real problems?

My feeling is these things are ongoing. Things happen, but not always; however, they are persistent. Nonetheless, people on the outside don't care unless there is an impact to their experience in the park. You only care if a ride doesn't work or a special effect fails and this seems to happen quite a bit these days.

• Minion

First, its funny that shill isn't even a word. Congratulations with your knowledge of the English language.
    From dictionary.com -

–noun 1. a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc.

2. a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.

I have no opinion about your general point - just that "shill" most definitely IS a real word.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Now you can visit nearly any store in the resort and find the same Vinylmation, pins, tshirts and hats. So we just don't shop in the stores in the park any more (except for Disneyana and Disney Gallery).
    Ugh. Don't get me started on the Vinylmation nightmare that has infected Disneyland. Can't stand it.
    And it's funny, Disneyana and Disney Gallery are about the only places I buy anything too!
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Senior Minion

Because one Imagineer called one Cast Member an "operator" it makes all Imagineers disrespectful.
    Again, you're spinning the story in an attempt to cast your employer in a positive light. What Al Lutz reported is not only accurate, but has been commonplace for decades. Glendale viewing DL Ops as second-class citizens has been a fact of life since Gen2 -- not among all Imagineers, certainly, but among many, especially those in management. It is a mindset that is woven into the political fabric of WDI.

- Neil Gabler

• ...TWO BITS!

I know a lot of the people that come to this site just read the "juicy" bits, complain without reasonable explanation, and always reply "wow, that was a great article. Thank you. Can't wait for the next issue" etc., but it's refreshing to read what you have on the reflection of "corporate culture" near the end of this article. I just wish more people pay attention to that instead of skipping it because it has nothing to do with their future visits to the resorts.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

Wink Re: Tron Haiting

Quote Originally Posted by eicarr View Post
    And if u want to talk turkeys, talk Prince of Persia!
    No, Mars Needs Moms was by are worse return than Prince of Persia, or even Sorcerer's Apprentice... It is the second biggest money loser in film History. It is so bad, the company lost 2% of the stock price having to report the loss.

Outside that, I like the way you think!
    Check out my other blog:

Re: Tron Haiting

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    No, Mars Needs Moms was by are worse return than Prince of Persia, or even Sorcerer's Apprentice... It is the second biggest money loser in film History.
    I'll bet the biggest money loser was Treasure Planet, right? And I liked Treasure Planet.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast