Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/10: Welcome Aboard!

Disneyland's Star Tours detailed, Summer ad campaign, WDI grief, More...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Welcome Aboard! - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Re: 5/10: Welcome Aboard!

Looking forward to June and July. Should be crazy at the parks. Thanks for the article.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it when I see a new article from Al! Thank you sooo much for all the juicy details! I nearly pee'd my pants (tmi?) when reading the details from the new Star Tours ride!
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Al!!!!

• Banned User

I thought there were supposed to be physical effects in the Star Tours vehicle. That was the rumor for a very long time.

Rather disappointing commentary on Imagineering. That they didn't develop rides that can be operated efficiently sounds counter-intuitive. You would think efficiency is their first priority rather than mere aethetics.

As for calling people "operator", I see no problem with this. Remembering names is hard.

• former CM

Tang?

What is Tang?
    (Just kidding. I was trying to seem young.)

Excellent update, Al! Thank you!

Breakthrough quote from Al: "TDA isn't stupid"! What's up? Is Al in love?

Should George Kalogridis be promoted? From what I've read, I like having him at Disneyland.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

An update full of things that I'm looking forward too. Well Done Al!!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Tang?

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

Should George Kalogridis be promoted? From what I've read, I like having him at Disneyland.
    Of all the Disney resort presidents, George is the one who shines above the crowd. Disneyland is the oldest Disney property and therefore one of the hardest to maintain. Yet, George has found a way to operate the resort within his budget and in a way that keeps the fans happy as well. At 56 years old, Disneyland looks brand new. In fact, it looks better than it did when the park opened in 1955.

Should George be promoted? Probably. Do we want him to be promoted? Not yet. Disneyland still needs him. Until and unless he can be promoted over all the US parks, we don't want to see him go. That's saying a lot from crusty old curmudgeons like us. For all our complaining about the little stuff, we are overwhelmed by the amount of "Good" at the Disneyland Resort . . . especially when compared to Disney World.

I'd also like to thank Al for his upbeat column today. Though I would disagree with him that the new Monorail slides at the Hotel are beautiful. Compared to the lush Neverland pool with its fully themed and hidden slides (as only Disney can do), this new metal tower with bolted on Monorails is a step down from what the hotel had before.

Though not all the changes at the hotel are bad. We are really excited about the new Tangaroa Terrace Restaurant and bar.

We've now spoken with folks who have ridden both the Little Mermaid and Star Tours and we are getting rave reviews on both. With two major new attractions and a brand new parade at Disneyland, the resort is poised for absolutely massive attention and attendance this year. This will very likely be a record breaking summer for the resort.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

That's interesting about the facts about WDI.
    When I was a DL Cast Member in the late 80s/early 90s they were still doing WDI/Studio tours. When we went to WDI, they "loved on us". They were VERY nice and said that if not for us, they would not have a job. When we went to the studio, they treated us like 4th class citizens (and I was actually almost knocked down by Jeffrey Katzenberg).
    I guess things have changed.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by socalkdg View Post
    Looking forward to June and July. Should be crazy at the parks. Thanks. . .
    And I'm looking forward to just READING about June and July from my uncrowded home office.
    I'm looking forward to September through early December. . . of 2012.
    A whole new world! Or at least a substantially new DCA!

I think it would be classy and magnanimous if Disney (John Lasseter) invited Jeffrey Katzenberg to the Little Mermaid ride opening. The Bugs' Life rip-off Antz was long ago. Get over it.

(Surprising fun fact:
    The prolific folks at Dreamworks Animation
    have earned more money at the box office
    than the admirable perfectionists at Pixar.)
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-10-2011 at 08:49 AM.

I was very sad to read that people from WDI treat others that way I would smack them upside the head if that happened to me! But the rest of the article made me very excited. I really want to go try the new steakhouse Walt I knew the steakhouse was there before but it never really triggered my interest. There are so many good things to look forward too. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Of all the Disney resort presidents, George is the one who shines above the crowd. Disneyland is the oldest Disney property and therefore one of the hardest to maintain. Yet, George has found a way to operate the resort within his budget and in a way that keeps the fans happy as well. At 56 years old, Disneyland looks brand new. In fact, it looks better than it did when the park opened in 1955.

Should George be promoted? Probably. Do we want him to be promoted? Not yet. Disneyland still needs him. Until and unless he can be promoted over all the US parks, we don't want to see him go. That's saying a lot from crusty old curmudgeons like us. For all our complaining about the little stuff, we are overwhelmed by the amount of "Good" at the Disneyland Resort . . . especially when compared to Disney World.

I'd also like to thank Al for his upbeat column today. Though I would disagree with him that the new Monorail slides at the Hotel are beautiful. Compared to the lush Neverland pool with its fully themed and hidden slides (as only Disney can do), this new metal tower with bolted on Monorails is a step down from what the hotel had before.

Though not all the changes at the hotel are bad. We are really excited about the new Tangaroa Terrace Restaurant and bar.

We've now spoken with folks who have ridden both the Little Mermaid and Star Tours and we are getting rave reviews on both. With two major new attractions and a brand new parade at Disneyland, the resort is poised for absolutely massive attention and attendance this year. This will very likely be a record breaking summer for the resort.
    Though I would agree with most of this (I personally really like the Monorail slides. But that's personal taste, I think), I would have to say that they still have to work on the merchandise available in the park. My partner and I were at DL in January. He hadn't been there in probably 20 years. His first reaction to both parks (aside from all the construction walls) was how generic and blah the merchandise was. He said he remembers shopping at DL was a great experience with unique items available (especially in NOS). Not anymore. There's no difference in what's available in any store. And the quality of what's available is no good either.

I know most of the merchandise issues I've stated are out George's hands and it's more of a Disney Parks issue (sell everything, everywhere - every store is, essentially, a Disney Store). But I think they really need to address this issue.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger_Twin89 View Post
    I was very sad to read that people from WDI treat others that way I would smack them upside the head if that happened to me!
    Very much agree! It must be a new Imagineering thing. I mean, I just can't imagine John Hench or Bob Gurr being like that with the front end CMs.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post

George generally gets it, he us up on my list with Jack and Matt in terms of great disneyland presidents. Disney needs George to help guide them to one of the largest expansions in disneyland resort history. I hope he doesnt leave to a outside company , my sense from him he is disney all the way. If at one point he does have to go the best place for him would be for him to oversee all the parks and resort than maybe someone can shake it up over at Disneyworld.

I am super excited for Star Tours , the 54 combinations sound great , the fact that they are three different planets one can each ride visit is already a huge plus. When I think of a next generation iniative this is what I would always imagine from Disney, not fastpassing Mickey Mouse.

I agree with Dusty the Monorails look not just underwhelming but somewhat Gawdy , its a poor attempt to play it up with the Disney fan base. it really doesnt work for me. I rather have something lush and hidden something that can truly showcase what WDI and disney does best.

Sad to hear about the few in WDI who treat cast members with disrespect , in a company that is all about synergy everyone should be able to be treated respectfully regardless of title and pay grade.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I just tried Steakhouse 55 on Sunday, and it has a very Walt Disney feel.

I'm glad they're renaming it and keeping it the way that it is.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    I would have to say that they still have to work on the merchandise available in the park. My partner and I were at DL in January. He hadn't been there in probably 20 years. His first reaction to both parks (aside from all the construction walls) was how generic and blah the merchandise was.
    This is absolutely one of the weak links at the resort right now and a holdover from the Paul Pressler era of generic mall mentality.

We've been trying to keep attention on things like cheap Jack Skellington merchandise in Tomorrowland (where it doesn't belong) and lack of truly unique and affordable keepsakes and souvineers. The individual locations with their unique merchandise is long gone. Now you can visit nearly any store in the resort and find the same Vinylmation, pins, tshirts and hats. So we just don't shop in the stores in the park any more (except for Disneyana and Disney Gallery).

We hope that now that the Resturants have mostly been upgraded (our previous big concern), that the shops will be next in line for an upgrade. Yes, it costs more to merchandise each shop individually (with separate buyers and merchandise resources), but it would also help make Disneyland a unique shopping destination again instead of just another generic Disney mall. And at the premium prices that Disneyland charges for merchandise, we expect better.

The transformation of Disneyland from the Paul Pressler era back to Disneyland magic has been nearly completed. But this is one remaining hold-out that needs addressing.

Thank you for bringing this up TodAZ1
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast