Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/17: Star Touring

Besides Kevin giving his Star Tours review, he also takes a look at last weekend's Destination D event. Plus join him at a scavenger hunt soon. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Star Touring- MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Registered Member

Re: 5/17: Star Touring

The new version of Star Tours at WDW sound great. I hope the new version at Disneyland is just as good.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I'm amazed the dreamfinder segment hasn't gotten more 'buzz' here on MC - that alone would have made the weekend for me.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I think Kevin has gone off the deep end!
    To say that the revamped (Not new!) Star Tours is right up there with Everest or Tower of Terror is as silly as all those dumb names that were used by Lucas in the Star Wars movies.
    When Star Tours first came to Disneyland in the mid-80’s I did admire the (then) new technology used in the ride. But I never liked the fact that it was based on a film that Disney had nothing to do with. It was an Eisner-era thing that I thought was a slap in the face to Disney Imagineers that they could not come up with an original idea on their own.
    If would be like walking into an Apple Store today and seeing the Android-based Galaxy tablet rather than an iPad because Steve Jobs thought his team couldn’t come up with something better.
    I am far more looking forward to seeing the new Mermaid attraction at California Adventure than I am the revamp Star Tours!

• Pilot EdForceOne

I never had a problem with Star Tours being lucas instead of Disney - I just thought it wasn't all that good compared to it's competitors years later.

The film sequence better be top notch - because the queue changes don't sound all that earthshattering to me. The gags about today's TSA sound a bit too 'expiring' to me and I doubt their ability to stand up to time and remain funny.

Overall - so far it sounds to me like the refurb the attraction needed - and less like a whole new thing that will draw people to the parks.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Pilot EdForceOne

video of the dreamfinder segment

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Fun is where you find it

great story - thanks. On D23 - it's been my opinion that more and more they have had to toot their own horn and make glorious statements why they are THE disney fan club. I think they must be getting pressure from Corporate to justify their expenses and activities - which means more money from us and less substance, and a push for us to "get it" as to why D23 is so great. I like the events and the groups - but I see right through the plan.

Sorry, I read it wrong, I thought when Kevin said it's between Eps 3 and 4, I was thinking 4 and 5, so my comments below were based on that - I left my original comments. but sorry for the confusion, you can just disregard the next paragraph.

We're in between Episodes 3 and 4? I thought it was between the 2 trilogies, and that Princess Leia was younger. Actually between 3 and 4 sounds better, it's kind of at the apex of action. I thought I saw a picture of a trimmer, more Anakin-like Vader though, in Ep 3, he was heavier. Nit-picking, but these things are important to me (a Star Wars fanatic).

I'm glad to hear that it is more like the original trilogy, (than the prequels), I'd have to breathe a big sigh of relief that George Lucas got it right this time. This is a lasting legacy of Star Wars, (and it's in Disneyland! Where it will hopefully last a looonng time) it's important that it's a good one.

I still liked the old ST, even though it started looking old, I think (not that this should have happened) that it COULD have lasted with a new technology redo, I thought the story and overall experience was that good. I'm glad they redid it with the variations to encompass the whole series, but I just still thought the old one was good.
    Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 05-17-2011 at 12:16 PM.

• MiceAge Columnist

AT D23, Jason Surrell told the story that they built a Hoth sequence true to the time frame (prior to "A New Hope") and showed it to George. George looked at it, and said "I'm surprised you didn't include the AT-ATs".

Jason (and others) meekly said that they thought it didn't fit the time frame. George thought for a moment and said, "eh, who cares." Jason was flabbergasted, but the new ride now has AT-ATs despite the anachronism. It's more exciting.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    AT D23, Jason Surrell told the story that they built a Hoth sequence true to the time frame (prior to "A New Hope") and showed it to George. George looked at it, and said "I'm surprised you didn't include the AT-ATs".

Jason (and others) meekly said that they thought it didn't fit the time frame. George thought for a moment and said, "eh, who cares." Jason was flabbergasted, but the new ride now has AT-ATs despite the anachronism. It's more exciting.
    Who cares?!?! That question is laughable! That's the kind of thinking that got us the prequels. So please answer these questions:

Is Princess Leia younger? Or is it the same hologram from Star Wars, just saying "Star Tours, you're my only hope"?

I heard there is a wanted poster for Luke, how can he be wanted before 'A New Hope'? Or is this just another anachronism that nobody cares about?

I agree that the AT-ATs make it more fun, but there must have been some way to explain it. I agree that most people won't pick up on it, but, come on, this is Star Wars! Even a time warp might have been better than no explanation.

• MiceAge Columnist

Leia looks very young, but I can't be sure. I think it might be the R2 hologram from a New Hope just retouched. Or maybe even unused footage of that scene from 1977? It could even be fully CGI. The yoda was.

Didn't see the Luke poster - I'll have to watch for that. Anakin knew there would be babies, right? So he'd be hunting them?
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Leia looks very young, but I can't be sure. I think it might be the R2 hologram from a New Hope just retouched. Or maybe even unused footage of that scene from 1977? It could even be fully CGI. The yoda was.

Didn't see the Luke poster - I'll have to watch for that. Anakin knew there would be babies, right? So he'd be hunting them?
    Anakin knew there were babies, did he know that there were twins? I have to go back and watch Episode 3. Even if he knew there were babies, he wouldn't know that the boy was named Luke Skywalker, they were supposedly hidden on Tatooine and Alderaan. The bottom line is that if there is a wanted poster for Anakin's children, it shouldn't have Luke's picture or name on it. But it is a moot question if there is no poster.
    Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 05-17-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Great insights as always!

I suppose this is an “even earlier” version of Rex we’re looking at?
    The way this was explained at Destination: D on the west coast was that Ace (the pilot's name, if memory serves) was to be seen as a precursor to the Rex we say later in the Star Wars universe.

It'd be nice if they worked Rex in as a blueprint seen in one of the pieces of luggage, or something of that sort.

But while a ton of things went right—and we really have to thank the volunteer staff as much as anyone else…
    Is the staff volunteer? I was under the impression they were paid. Cast Members were able to pickup shifts to take part in many aspects of the Expo and Destination: D in Anaheim, as far as I understood.

Speaking of that, where was Joe Rohde in all of this?
    I certainly can't imagine this is a case of Joe thinking the fans are beneath him. I had the chance to meet him at Animal Kingdom during the 10th anniversary festivities while I was a safari driver. He could not have been more gracious and wanted to know everything about the fans experiences with the park.

My only thought is that maybe he isn't fond of the commercialization of the fan experience that has come out of D23? Not sure, but I would certainly hope to see him involved in the future. I consider him one of the most focused of the upper WDI team.
    I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

• I am number 4 of 999

"Captain Rex. As you cross into the second queue room, look to your left to spot Rex, our former pilot. He’s now marked “defective” and is being sent back for repairs. Listen for a while and you’ll hear some audio from the original ride. I love this tribute, but I’m aware that it’s anachronistic. We’re in the time frame between Episode 3 and Episode 4, so the Rex pilot we know and love hasn’t even been installed yet—having a joke about him is a bit “out of time.” I suppose this is an “even earlier” version of Rex we’re looking at? It’s weak, but it’s the only way to make sense of it."

If you've ever had to deal with "tech support" or electronics repair for a business, you'd know that when you send something "out for repair" you get back equipment that has been refurbished to replace what you sent in to avoid downtime, which has a 50% chance of functioning WORSE than the item you sent in the first place. So if Star Tours is as crappy in the future as the old ride lead us to believe it is, then a malfunctioning Rex ready to be sent for repair only to be replaced with the Rex we all knew and loved makes absolute sense.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Nice, I am glad that Dreamfinder and figment were there. I wonder when they will bring Dreamfinder back?

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast