Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: 5/19: Treasure Hunt

I agree pretty much with all of you. At about 2 hrs and 15 mins this movie could have been much longer had they explained everything better.

Loved the mermaids, loved the Queen Ann's Revenge (sad the Pearl wasn't in it though) and really really loved the ride element that they incorporated into the movie, that was my favorite part. The score as always was great and even liked Angelica's and Jack's strange relationship. Funny how Jack is never really romantically involved with anyone but you can always tell he does have a soft spot when someone is in trouble.

But having said that I also wish they would have followed up with Syrena and Philip, did she turn him to a merman or did he die, what the heck happened with them? I do think they just put them in the movie to cover for Elizabeth and Will which was a poor substitute. Would love to see Will/Liz return in a future movie to follow up with them and their son. Missed the crew from the Pearl (the guy with the wooden eye). Don't really understand why the Spaniards wanted to destroy the fountain of youth...boring and no point. Also wished there would have been more action at sea, missed that a lot. Zombies were blah...blah, blah and blah. Blackbeard was okay, kinda wish he would have lasted more than 1 movie or explained his sword's special powers. And what was the story behind Jack's "X" scratch on his cheekbone? Even Johnny didn't know why they gave it to him, just said it showed up in makeup. LOL

Overall I thought it was fun, glad it didn't have any ridiculous silly parts like a miniature Jack sitting on his shoulder or 25 multiplied Jacks wandering about. Watched it in 3D and was disappointed the only major things in 3D were Blackbeard's sword and the bubbles around the ending credits. LOL Just hope they throw out the script that has already been finished and actually rewrite a script that better follows along this plot and storyline. Hopefully they'll listen to all the fans reviews and make the next script with a more intricate plot and characters.

Don't really understand why the Spaniards wanted to destroy the fountain of youth.
    The Spanish captain said it. Because the Catholic religion considers the fountain of youth blasphemy and that everlasting life can only be gained through their god.
    And what was the story behind Jack's "X" scratch on his cheekbone? Even Johnny didn't know why they gave it to him, just said it showed up in makeup. LOL
    Y'know, there's a lot about Jack that isn't explained. We don't need to know every single detail about him. I tend to think if Johnny Depp is ok with an unexplained X on his cheek, we should be too. I mean, remember in Curse of the Black Pearl when the women slapped him in Tortuga and Jack said he didn't think he deserved that? What's the story on that? Do we really need to know? I don't think so.
    Hopefully they'll listen to all the fans reviews and make the next script with a more intricate plot and characters.
    Actually, I hope that that is the last thing they do. No good script has ever come from a committee. You can't have 10 people (or 10 million fans, for that matter) write one script. No one will be happy with that. If you didn't like the script, that's fine. But it's not going to get better by adding more people to the process.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Great review. Nearly exactly what I thought. I kept wishing they would stop walking through brush. And why did it always seem so dark? The sun barely came up and it was night again!

For me I kept asking these questions:
    1) Why am I supposed to be afraid of Black Beard?
    2) Why are mermaids eating men? Are there that many sailors that they can survive on eating them? I just don't get it. Why not Sirens? At least they have already been cast as man killers. I kept thinking, is that Ariel???
    3) The Spaniards crossed the ocean to simply smash the fountain of youth? Why?

I rarely go the movies at all. This was the first in 6 months easily and I liked it for the mindless action. The 3-D was nice as well. It was just not polished enough and not up to the level of the other 3.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    The Spanish captain said it. Because the Catholic religion considers the fountain of youth blasphemy and that everlasting life can only be gained through their god.
    Y'know, there's a lot about Jack that isn't explained. We don't need to know every single detail about him. I tend to think if Johnny Depp is ok with an unexplained X on his cheek, we should be too. I mean, remember in Curse of the Black Pearl when the women slapped him in Tortuga and Jack said he didn't think he deserved that? What's the story on that? Do we really need to know? I don't think so.
    Actually, I hope that that is the last thing they do. No good script has ever come from a committee. You can't have 10 people (or 10 million fans, for that matter) write one script. No one will be happy with that. If you didn't like the script, that's fine. But it's not going to get better by adding more people to the process.
    Really TodAZ1, I was giving my own review of the movie just as you did in earlier posts and just as Sue did and a bunch of other posters...did you really feel the need to bash my review. I did not ask for answers, I was simply stating my opinion on the movie.

And btw, the "X" did seem to bother Johnny in his quick interview when he mentioned it because he wasn't even sure where or why it just happened to appear without a backstory. Are you going to bash him for not understanding it's origin too?

And obviously other people wondered about the reason for the Spanish destroying the fountain, check the post after yours where that poster questioned it also. What I meant about the Spaniards was that it was pretty pointless, they could have made it more interesting then trying to beat them to the fountain just to have it destroyed, again, not a very good plot twist when they could have made that opportunity to use them as better villians or a more interesting climax at the end.

And had you read my entire review you would have noticed that I really did enjoy the movie and was just pointing out things that to me, could have made it better. So really, what so ticked you off about my review that had you so inclinded to quote and post if we both had a good time watching this film???

Wow. Really? You were thinking I was bashing you? Since when is a differing opinion considered "bashing?" You asked questions. I thought you wanted answers to them, since they were stated in the movie.

Besides, this is an opinion board. Not a review board. If someone gives their opinion, someone else can give a similar or opposing opinion. It's kind of the nature of the beast.

And again, if the X on his cheek REALLY bothered him, do you think for a second he would allow it?
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Not on the Jedi Council

Saw it last night, and Sue is pretty much on the money.

It was entertaining, and a decent effort, even though it wasn't the greatest film ever. But y'know, kids today are entitled to B movie level movies too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12