Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/19: Treasure Hunt

Sue reviews Pirates IV - plus CaptPhoebus is at the El Capitan four movie marathon, photo updates today as the event permits in Sue's column; full report tomorrow - Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Treasure Hunt - MiceAge.com
    Last edited by Al Lutz; 05-19-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Add El Capitan updates
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Minion

Re: 5/19: Treasure Hunt

Wow Sue, this is such a great article on this movie. I'm sorry it didn't live up to your expectations (which seem to be mine as well). I had read that they wanted the movie to be more character driven, but, it seems they cut back on that. We will probably see it this weekend so I'll be looking to see if I see the same things.

Thank you for your articles!! Read them EVERY week!!!

• Pilot EdForceOne

should we be surprised? the last two movies were started before they even had a proper script finished. To hear the fourth has plot/story as a necessity instead of the driver... doesn't surprise me. We now have a franchise looking for installments rather then stories looking to be made into film.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Not really. The first and 3rd movies I enjoyed a lot. I loved how one story kind of led into the next movie. The second was good, but I found it rather dull.

I think to have it as necessity shows that they were off track. Character development should only be done for new characters as we've already had Johnny developed through the last 3 movies. To have things left unanswered is not good in my opinion. I hate leaving going, "but what about this, or that person." Just have to wait and see.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Sue, I see you compare it to the first and state it comes up short of that movie. I didn't see where you thought it would rank with movies 2 and 3. Thoughts?

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

that was a great review, thank you!!

i haven't seen the movie yet, but your review seems to be along the same line of expectation i've built for this movie since hearing about it & seeing trailers. i do, of course, hope i am wrong and enjoy the movie. but as much as i love the pirate movies, they have sadly not gotten better with each new movie.

flower gleam & glow...

• is too darn hot.

I am disappointed to hear that Blackbeard does not live up to expectations. I loved Ian McShane in the short-lived series Kings and I was looking forward to see him chew some scenery as well. I wonder how much of his performance was director driven and how much came from himself.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by socalkdg View Post
    Sue, I see you compare it to the first and state it comes up short of that movie. I didn't see where you thought it would rank with movies 2 and 3. Thoughts?
    I don't think On Stranger Tides is the worst of the four films, I'd rank them this way:

1. Curse of the Black Pearl - the first and still the best
    2. At World's End - a little weird but great villain, ties up the story arc, still pays attention to character development
    3. On Stranger Tides - see my review
    4. Dead Man's Chest - had promise but ultimately an unsatisfying experience, just the bridge between movies 1 & 3

I still want to go see it in IMAX 3D.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

What a refreshing article! I was expecting a fluffy advertisement for the movie but got an honest opinion instead. Thanks!

• FastPass n00b

I have always loved Sue's reviews of the Pirate movies because she gives an excellent (and highly accurate) sense of the film without giving anything away. In fact, I remember in the review of the 2nd movie, she kind of teased us with what was to come at the very end... I really liked that because I knew to expect *something*, I just had no idea what.

This is almost exactly what I expected of the 4th film, it just seems like they're going through the motions and wrapping another film around Jack Sparrow. It makes TONS of money and people seem to enjoy it so more power to them for creating another one, Disney just shouldn't expect me to be banging down the door to see it. And they don't need me anyway since a billion other people will take my place.

• Former Starspeeder Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    This is almost exactly what I expected of the 4th film, it just seems like they're going through the motions and wrapping another film around Jack Sparrow. It makes TONS of money and people seem to enjoy it so more power to them for creating another one, Disney just shouldn't expect me to be banging down the door to see it. And they don't need me anyway since a billion other people will take my place.
    Yeah, I thought after the fact they bought the rights to a novel this one might have a pretty intricate plot, but Sue hits it right on the nose: they introduce awesome things, then never explain them or take them anywhere. We don't know how Blackbeard grew to have any sort of mystical powers, and he was definitely underused. And I still don't know why the clergyman plotline was in there at all, and they do not explain why one mermaid is so different from the others.

When I saw the Pirates preview at Disneyland a few weeks back, which I thought was excellently done and was quite impressed how quickly and simply they threw something memorable together, I saw the mutiny scene and was very excited about Blackbeard being a formidable bad guy like Davy Jones. But truthfully, I think Davy Jones was much scarier than Blackbeard. I blame the direction or the screenplay for that, because I believe McShane is perfectly capable of being a delightful monster.

It feels like Blackbeard was only included to give Barbossa and Jack a common enemy to battle. I'm all for a useless villain for more Jack and Barbossa, but GIVE US MORE JACK AND BARBOSSA THEN! And don't start with awesome villain ideas if you're just going to waste them. Blackbeard had such potential in this movie, but it was woefully wasted.

Overall, it was decent enough, but I much prefer Pirates 1 and 3. I think Pirates 1 is just a fantastic, fun, swashbuckling movie, and I love the "cursed captain" plotline of number 3 and the epic maelstrom climax. I unfortunately rank this fourth movie as fourth best in the series.

Walking in Walt's footsteps

I just saw Pirates 4 this afternoon and I have to agree with you. Where Pirates 1 left me full but still wanting more Pirates 4 left me feeling empty and wanting something better. I was disappointed that a lot of the film took place on land rather than on the sea, after all Pirates are mainly an ocean dwelling lot. I was disappointed that the original crew wasn't in the film, that Jack the monkey only had a cameo and that the dialog wasn't as clever in this film. They missed the mark in using Blackbeard because they could have substituted any other pirate in his place based on how tame his character was in this film. The real Blackbeard was a man who'd shoot off your knees for looking at him the wrong way but this version only looked more fierce than he actually was.
    Yes it was nice to see Jack Sparrow and Barbossa and Gibbs again doing what they do best and the film made for a good way to kill 2 hours, but it wasn't a very exciting movie. I didn't leave the theater wanting to immediately run back and see it again. I left feeling like they could have written a better film than they did, to fill my imagination with an intelligent story that would lead to an even better sequel. This time I'm just hoping they get it right next time and do a Pirates movie again, something to leave me wanting more instead of delivering less and leaving me wanting something they should have done in the first place. It's a good film but by no means a great one.

I loved it. I thought it was a little odd to see half the Pirates crew than what I was used to, but I thought it was great to see the film go in a different direction. And not the huge, epic feel that At World's End had. I thought the progression of the known characters was great, especially Barbossa joining up with the English. But to later have it revealed that it was all in his plan to seek revenge on Blackbeard. Speaking of which, I loved Ian McShane. I thought he was a great villain and loved the fact that, basically, he was human. No CGI cover on this actor, like Davey Jones. Just his presence was enough.
    And, after reading Sue's review, I was kind of cringing when Angelica (Penelope Cruz) came on screen. But I thought she was delightful. A good foil for Jack Sparrow (though not as good as Barbossa). And I was pretty much guessing up until the end where her loyalties were.
    Speaking of Barbossa, I loved his character again. Geoffrey Rush's Barbossa is the best stereotypical pirate on-screen since Long John Silver in the 1950 Disney movie, Treasure Island. I mean, he can be a bad guy at times and his schemes are only for his own benefit but, hey, like Jack said in Curse of the Black Pearl when Will said he cheated, "Pirate." The impish mannerisms and the mischievous look in Barbossa's eyes are perfect!
    And what else can be said about Jack? I thought the escape at the beginning of the film (tossing the cloth napkin on the floor, making the chandalier rock back and forth) was brilliant. I liked the mutiny meeting scene alot. I really liked it when Philip was talking to Jack about converting to Catholicism. Hysterical!
    I do agree with Sue on the Philip/Syrena romance. I mean, why was it there? They could have done without them and played up the Jack/Angelica romance/history/mystique/whatever it was they had.

I didn't leave the theater immediately wanting to run back in and see it again either. But I've never felt that way about ANY movie I've seen. It's a movie. Not a Space Mountain attraction at a Disney Park. But I am definitely looking forward to watching it again when it comes out on DVD.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

One more thing. Very glad to know the Black Pearl wasn't lost, just captured. The Black Pearl is getting to be to the Pirates movies what the Enterprise is to Star Trek.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast