Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/30: How Sweet it is...

Mission moves out, Ghirardelli moves in; Monorail Blues

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: How Sweet it is... - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• former CM

Thanks for posting this on our day off!
    Nice update!

I'll miss the free flour tortillas, and I wish Dove or See's were coming instead of Ghiradelli. (The only problem with Ghiradelli is the taste.) Still, bad chocolate beats good Vegemite, so I hope they give free chocolate samples to all guests with small multi-packs on birthdays. (Three pieces? One birthday pack per employee shift?) Many people go nuts for free stuff and for chocolate, so this could strengthen the profitable Disney-birthday connection previously promoted by the free birthday admission.

(Disclosure/confession: I added a tablespoon of hot chocolate powder to my Irish Breakfast tea this morning, so I guess I'm turning into a chocoholic. Any C.A. meetings in S. CA?)

Shirt from The Onion, "I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze!"
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-30-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Replacing three words (4 syllables total) with a a one-syllable alliterative word.

• will-o-the-whip

Re: 5/30: How Sweet it is...

This is definitely a good trade-off. More upscale brands like Ghiradelli is the way Disney should be heading. Whatever happened to replacing Nestle with Starbucks? While I'd prefer Peet's, almost anything is better than Nestle, which is tasteless. Hopefully the sourdough factory is the next to go with an upgrade.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    . . . almost anything is better than Nestle. . . Hopefully the sourdough factory is the next to go with an upgrade.
    I'm not a Nestle fan either, but don't mess with my DCA bread bowls!

• Blew By You

While not much of a chocolate fan, I do like Ghiradelli's chocolate. Mission tortillas were not that good in my opinion. Better to find a good store which has a tortilla making department and buy those rather than buying bland corn tortillas.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Monorail update: Blue and Orange have been repaired and both have once again returned to the beam. Blue was running on Saturday and Orange on Sunday.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Ghirardelli ...I think that so cool.....
    because ....Ghirardelli has an logo with a EAGLE!
    Eagleman
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Sad, I liked Mission.
    As popular as Ghirardelli is going to be, it's something you can get outside of a theme park, plus it's already in Orlando, so I view it as yet another copy. Oh well.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• will-o-the-whip

But only San Francisco has a Ghiradelli soda fountain as far as I know, so DCA will be the only place in SoCal with one, and only the second one on the planet. That's pretty exclusive. Mission tortillas I can get at Von's or any supermarket and heat up in the microwave. I think the soda fountain will be packed with guests. A great chocolate bar is a natural winner for a theme park.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Between a chocolate factory, and a tortilla factory, I'd go with the tortilla factory. The mechanics of seeing the tortilla's being made surpasses watching little overpriced chocolates being made. So unless you can watch Lucy and Ethel dip or package chocolate in the Ghiradelli, the tortilla process is just more facinating, and more Willie Wonk-ish than a candy factory. Now isn't that ironic. Besides, we all know that as for the king of chocolates in an amusement park type setting, it would have to be Hershey's. And for merchandising, no one beats M&M's.

Now, the ideal solution is to have both. Let's just get rid of the corn tortilla equipment, and keep the flour tortilla maker. There's room enough on the corn tortilla side, to have a small candy making display for Ghiradelli.

Anyone up for a chocolate tortilla?!?!?!?!?

I think Ghirardelli is a good addition, I always liked Ghirardelli Square in SF. And yes they were smart to decline the original DCA, sadly others were blinded by the Disney name. It was like Emperor Eisner's new clothes.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    Sad, I liked Mission.
    As popular as Ghirardelli is going to be, it's something you can get outside of a theme park, plus it's already in Orlando, so I view it as yet another copy. Oh well.
    And you can't get a Mission tortilla (the largest tortilla company in the U.S.) outside a theme park?

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    But only San Francisco has a Ghiradelli soda fountain as far as I know, so DCA will be the only place in SoCal with one, and only the second one on the planet. That's pretty exclusive. Mission tortillas I can get at Von's or any supermarket and heat up in the microwave. I think the soda fountain will be packed with guests. A great chocolate bar is a natural winner for a theme park.
    Ghirardelli Chocolate Company Shop Locator

According to that site there are soda fountains in San Francisco, Monterey, San Diego, Las Vegas, Chicago, Miami and Orlando (at Downtown Disney). There also used to be one in Pasadena. It will hardly be unique, but it will be a nice addition to the park.

Research. It's your friend.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post

Ghirardelli Chocolate Company Shop Locator

According to that site there are soda fountains in San Francisco, Monterey, San Diego, Las Vegas, Chicago, Miami and Orlando (at Downtown Disney). There also used to be one in Pasadena. It will hardly be unique, but it will be a nice addition to the park.

Research. It's your friend.
    Good information....need to check out San Diego, CA=Gaslamp District!
    The next time ,I go down to San Diego CA.
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• Disneyland Man

A beer stand soon and now a chocolate palace, this place really has a chance! Even more excited to hear about sea-cliffs, now that's news. There had to be a plan for the outside of the canyon, glad to hear it is to be fully finished rock work.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

Very excited about the chocolate factory! Should be a great addition to the park.

About the Cars Land mountains... 200,000+ sq ft of rock is big but not disney's biggest as stated. Tokyo DisneySea's Mt Prometheus is 750,000 sq ft according to Disney.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast