Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/5: Somebody Got the Memo

Kevin takes note of DisneyWorld's attraction fixes. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Somebody Got the Memo - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• MiceAge Columnist

Re: 7/5: Somebody Got the Memo

While I'm pleased to see the fix at Thunder Mountain I was disappointed to see the use of a flash to take the photo.
    It really does spoil other riders experience of the ride to have people taking flash photos.
    So while complaining that Disney are 'spoiling the show', so are Disney reporters.
    Reporting it was fixed was enough.

I have used flash in rides, but have always done it when the ride was empty, waiting until 1am in the morning at DLP to get inside shots at Haunted Mansion when the ride had huge gaps in the people getting onboard.
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

Summer Nights has been the title of SeaWorld's summer program, at least in California, for over 20 years.
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

• Registered Member

Angry Re: 7/5: Somebody Got the Memo

It's to bad that it took all of use complaining and maybe a visit by the CEO to get somethings fixed. But not all problems were repaired, maybe some day they will be.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

• MiceAge Columnist

^ Busch Gardens Tampa used the term "Summer Nights" too, but until this year, SeaWorld Orlando used "SeaWorld After Dark" as their promotion/terminology.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• former CM

Let's cut right to the beer--12 or 14--you're not sure?
    Kevin, Kevin, Kevin, are you going for a new alias like "Darkbeer"?
    Who drove you home?

(That made me miss the free beer tent at Sea World. RIP.)

So progress was made on Big Thunder and Splash Mtn.
    Congrats & thank you, Mr. Yee!

But will the "good enough" wall which used to move DANGEROUSLY stay inanimate like the Yeti on another deluxe mountain coaster?
    Is there an idiot with too much power at Disney saying,
    "Well the train moves, and nothing else on the attraction really has to"?

Disney does not have the biggest or fastest coasters;
    it is the attention to detail in the past that has inspired record #s of guests
    to travel far to experience Disney's mountains.

Maybe this is the same guy who argues that the Saorin' film is only about the flight experience and not about WHAT guests see, and it doesn't matter if the same film is shown at each park because guests just want to "fly."
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-05-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Who's the idiot and who are his followers?

Quote Originally Posted by GapToothed View Post
    Summer Nights has been the title of SeaWorld's summer program, at least in California, for over 20 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    ^ Busch Gardens Tampa used the term "Summer Nights" too, but until this year, SeaWorld Orlando used "SeaWorld After Dark" as their promotion/terminology.
    I'm betting Sea World changed the promotion name to Summer Nights because Sea World and Busch Gardens is owned by the same company and they wanted everything to tie together.

But yeah, Busch Gardens was using the "Summer Nights" name before even Disneyland in CA came up with Summer Nighttastic.

That being said, I wish Busch Gardens did that $20 beer thingy this past weekend as well. I would have been downing the Stella like it was going out of style.

Plus, here’s something I keep meaning to mention but haven’t found a way to work in, many moons ago they removed the “second” seat of wheels on each train’s engine – it was there just for show, and they thought it could be removed, but the train looks a bit unbalanced without those wheels.
    I thought that this set of wheels was removed following the accident at Disneyland's Big Thunder.
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

• Minion

The current fix for the missing rock is the one that should have been there within a week of the old one being gone. By now, it should be completely fixed.

• Pilot EdForceOne

kevin.. i like the video format for the minor whats new/changed stuff.. and keep the editorial/opinion stuff in text. makes a good balence IMO

good job
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Happy to see any repairwork, even if it's not complete. The mouth movement is a constant pet peeve of mine on small world too, where some dolls are stuck with mouths wide open, others meekly mutter the words, and a few move so strongly that they tear the rubber skin.
    I fear the same thing will be happening in the Little Mermaid ride soon - it's just a matter of how long it'll take.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Banned User

The issues of broken ride components, the moving rocks and AA's, all point to a lack of engineering folks. After all, if a motor/tube is broken on an AA it doesn't cost that much to fix—relative to the cost of running the whole show—so what are the engineers doing? Most likely a lot of them are running around like mad working on the Little Mermaid AA's for Orlando and other ride elements, plus perhaps helping out with work on Carsland. Yeah, there should be a dedicated team that keeps ride effects running, but I can see why they might be pressed given the massive expansion projects.

• Golden State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by ian p View Post
    while i'm pleased to see the fix at thunder mountain i was disappointed to see the use of a flash to take the photo.
    It really does spoil other riders experience of the ride to have people taking flash photos.
    So while complaining that disney are 'spoiling the show', so are disney reporters.
    Reporting it was fixed was enough.

I have used flash in rides, but have always done it when the ride was empty, waiting until 1am in the morning at dlp to get inside shots at haunted mansion when the ride had huge gaps in the people getting onboard.
    Love this!!!
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Keep up the good work Kevin.

Great to see improvements happening.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    The issues of broken ride components, the moving rocks and AA's, all point to a lack of engineering folks. After all, if a motor/tube is broken on an AA it doesn't cost that much to fix—relative to the cost of running the whole show—so what are the engineers doing?
    When you have that many attractions that need that much attention in a very short overnight window... it take an incredible amount of manpower to get to even the basic tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Most likely a lot of them are running around like mad working on the Little Mermaid AA's for Orlando and other ride elements, plus perhaps helping out with work on Carsland. Yeah, there should be a dedicated team that keeps ride effects running, but I can see why they might be pressed given the massive expansion projects.
    The teams that build the attractions are not the same that keep them running. Cutting back on dedicated teams per attraction was one of the hallmark moves made in the 90s in DL to reduce costs. Now its a matter of scale... it costs a ton to keep on top of everything. So they keep on top of as much as they can and prioritize things... trying to keep attractions running and eating park capacity.

The issue isn't the ongoing park expansions - its their general operating strategies aren't willing to invest the type of dollars it takes to ramp up to keep EVERYTHING perfect all the time.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast