Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 7/12: Meg Story

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/12: Meg Story

Executive Shuffle, NextGen Update, D23 Expo, Carthay Circle Club, More... Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Meg Story - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Minion

Re: 7/12: Meg Story

Darn, I was hoping for some Disneyland Tomorrowland or Frontierland news from the D23 presentations. Still have dreams of those Rocket Jets soaring up high on the platform again (and a renewed "World on the Move" experience for the PeopleMover track) sometime this decade... sigh...

Also waiting for something exciting (screenings, talent appearances, exclusive media from the film/TV/music library) on the Expo agenda that appeals to those of us who are primarily admirers of Walt Disney, his studio and his works, rather than just loud promotions of the usual corporate products and franchises in the pipeline. It's a lot of money to pay for admission to a press junket.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Great article Al as always.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Closed Account

Booking when i want to ride Splash, SSE, and Star Tours SIX MONTHS in advance w/ NO Standby is a sure way to NOT get me to step foot in WDW EVER AGAIN

• Circle of Ancients

Did I read that right ... Maters Junkyard Jamboree is a $100 million attraction?

What a waste of $$.

Al, a great article today regarding the executive shakeup.

I think providing so much attention and spotlight on all the shortcoming and mismanagement of the WDW property can only work to make things better in the long run. As you may know, there is an initiative by a WDW fan group to put together a WDW watchdog/insider site, to put pressure on management to make things right again and return WDW to its former glory. It seems like they stopped trying years ago and are just letting the place deteriorate.

So my request is, that while the updates will always be DL-centric, an occasional mention of what's going on in WDW leadership would be helpful to continue to draw attention to the gross mis-management of the Florida resort.

• Closed Account

No wonder Burbank hates WDI

I hope Al's information in the rest of the article isn't as inaccurate as what he mentioned about Comic-Con.

That pop-culture monster is staying in San Diego. The organizers have already signed a long term agreement with the convention center. It won't be coming to Anaheim anytime in the future.

Let's pray the rest of Al's rosy scenario does..

ImagineerWarrior

• Banned User

I'm a foodie, but I'm hardpressed to seek out another gourmet meal at a Disney theme park with their overpriced meals. Good luck with Carthay Circle Theater.

Nextgen... yawn. Another fast pass concept. Oh boy.

Crofton personifies this unfortunate executive trait, and she appears to shy away from actually appearing in the parks or engaging the fans and her Cast.
    Actually, I think this is a good thing. I always thought the executive speeches and the attractions debuts are very awkward, almost embarrassing and gaff prone. Surely, not appearing in the parks seems elitist like they want to avoid appearing in the parks that they manage, but that isn't always necessarily true. What matters more is their management of the parks and maybe that is the problem.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Did I read that right ... Maters Junkyard Jamboree is a $100 million attraction?

What a waste of $$.
    That does seem a bit pricey.

I hope the Carthay Circle Club is as discrete as Club 33. Imagine a cast member stationed outside of its entrance telling hundreds of guests a day, "Sorry, YOU can't go in there." True, many visitors can't stay in the suites or even the standard rooms of Disney's grandest hotels, but the parks have seemed more welcoming to middle-class visitors who travel far to enjoy them.

The NextGen XPass might be highly publicized and then unpopular among many WDW visitors, especially if it's associated with having an exclusive first-class experience at a higher price. And, more likely, it will be unpopular--even despised--by guests who prefer more spontaneity. And technophobes might not enjoy it either. If XPass tanks it could lead to Iger's ouster.

Disney Parks are expensive splurges for many Americans, and guests might start to avoid them if they feel left out by clubs, or irritated by technologies or the chore of planning ahead. A significant number of people prefer holidays that are easy and stress reducing.

Thanks for the update, Al!

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-12-2011 at 08:19 AM.

• Minion

The last time I went to WDW was probably about ten years ago, and even then I was very put off by the scheduling necessary (and along with it, lack of spontaneity and relaxation) to have a functional vacation at that resort -- Couldn't even get breakfast on property after 10:30 AM or dinner in the parks after 9 PM. I don't like to have a schedule to rush around and meet if it's supposed to be relaxation time.

Thinking about pre-booking restaurants or fetching FastPasses is already burdensome enough -- let alone having the company fill up a dance-card with prefab experiences and potential products for me (along with a virtual tracking device to boot). If that became the norm for dealing with the resort I would likely never want to go there again.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

What a waste of $$.
    That was the first thing I was going to comment on here as well. What the heck? Is it just that $100 million doesn't go as far as it used to, or is this attraction going to be more than just a themed carnival ride?

Thanks for the update Al. It's good to know that the impacts of the Crofton promotion might not be as bad as many of us are worried it will be. As someone who has been to both Anaheim and Florida properties many times in the last six plus years, I definately have seen the difference between the two. The decline of WDW, and superiority of DL at the moment, is very apparent.

I still think the billions they're pouring into "next gen" technology at Florida, instead of new attractions, is the wrong approach. I plan trips to Disney theme parks to ride new attractions, not because they've overhauled the Fastpass system or installed interactive queues (on people-eating attractions like Haunted Mansion that don't need them, no less).

I really don't like the sounds of having to pre-plan every aspect of a WDW trip in advance. Having scheduled a week or more worth of dining reservations, I can honestly say that amount of pre-planning is more than enough. Is it going to get to the point where pre-planning is more hassle than fun, when I'm trying to decide six months in advance when I want to ride Space Mountain?
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Blew By You

Very good post.
    1. Maybe Meg will let Disneyland Resort go its own way, but that doesn't prevent her from at least trying something in the future. It's too tempting not to try out an idea, then order it to happen. She'll soon figure out that she's the boss.
    2. NexGen sounds somewhat expensive. Needing technology like a smartphone or even just having to make an expensive reservation at one of WDW's hotels doesn't make me jump for joy. What's happen to the spontaneous nature of a visit to any Disney parks? I probably will not be making a six figure salary any time soon, and it seems like I'll be thrown the leftovers of those people who have the means for NexGen. Secenario: Disneyland will be open to those who haven't reserved a hotel room or made necessary smartphone apps on Wednesdays and Thursdays this week. Sorry for the inconvience.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Do people forget the way we used to do reservations at WDW?

You used to have get up early and get to the special phone banks to try to make the same day reservations. It was a serious PITA and a miserable way to have to spend time DURING your vacation to hammer out where to get reservations, etc.

Disney is trying to add convenience... but the problem is they can risk strangling out capacity. They should do a better job of how they release capacity at intervals rather then all at once.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Demand at the restaurants always seem high. I wonder if Disney is intentionally stoking more demand. I've eaten at the restaurants. They seem like a good value, but they are quite pricey and after a few times, the novelty wanes. Of course, I have a few favorites, but I realized quickly that the second time isn't as good as the first time. Now, I avoid any restaurant that is difficult to get a seat. It just isn't worth the hassle and the drain on my wallet.

A Disney vacation isn't really a vacation. Its an invitation to join a mob.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast