Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8/9: Care Less?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

8/9: Care Less?

Kevin notes even more show quality problems on DisneyWorld attractions. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Care Less? - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 8/9: Care Less?

Hello Kevin...

As usuall another great column and thank you for pointing these things out.
    We started going to Walt Disney World in I think 1979. Living in Eastern Ma. one has to budget to get down to the "Mouse House" as we refere to it in our house.
    We got so hooked that We were going to the "Mouse House" once a year and to date We have 23 trips under our belt. I want to say me and my family went 12 consecutive years and were probablt the best vacations ever.
    I want to say I started off at $200.00 per month dutyfully writing a check every month and putting it in a Pass Book savings account. When it got to the point I had to put over 400 a month to cover the ever rising prices,I just could no afford going to Disney World any more. I am a State worker and just about everyone know the financial mess most States are in. I went 4 year with/out a raise but my medical plays kept rising and rising. Along with the rest of my living expensises, I had no choice but to cut out the monthy vacation stipen to the Mouse House.

We try go every 5 to 6 years and now that I think of it, it has been 8 or 9 years since We traveled to the most Magical Place on earth.

I also am very concerned of the state of the park from an operational standpoint. Like yourself, you could see individual things not working and it got slowly worse and worse. I would point out various Items not working and my Wife would say - I am soooo pickey and to just enjoy the ride.
    Well your article over the years seems to point out that the Mouse House is very good at raising prices and the quality just goes down and down.
    For the first time in my life, We are going to Florida and will not visit Walt Disney. We have never been to Universa - Bush Gardens- or ther Water Parks in and around Orlando.

Mike

• Marching along

Don't forget the anglerfish at The Seas with Nemo at Epcot! Yesterday the scene was of course, inoperative, but now they've positioned Marlin and the other fish in a stationary "chase" pose. It's a b-mode without even a strobe light!

Last time we rode Imagination (a few weeks ago) the entire sound lab scene was without... you guessed it... sound.

All the missing and broken effects have me wondering... is this happening because we're nearing the end of the fiscal year and the maintenance department's budget is running dry? It doesn't in any way excuse bad show, but it might explain why it's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Toad View Post
    All the missing and broken effects have me wondering... is this happening because we're nearing the end of the fiscal year and the maintenance department's budget is running dry? It doesn't in any way excuse bad show, but it might explain why it's happening.
    Not really because of the end of the fiscal year, but more because in recent years the maintenance budgets and staffing has been slashed so much that there simply aren't enough people and resources to keep everything in tip top shape.

• Minion

OK, it's better than EPCOT, but I still say Adventureland isn't the best fit for Tinkerbell and the fairies. Is it possible this is a temporary home until the Fantasyland construction is finished?

I don't know why, but the Muppets thing really bothers me. I guess because in my mind that area is a shrine to Henson, and I feel it should be kept in top shape out of respect for the man. With all the issues in the 3D show, it would be better if they just shuttered it for a while.

Plus, with the new Muppets movie coming out you'd think Disney would be showing a little extra care for their in-park representation of the franchise, maybe even plussing/expanding the area?

I don't get it. Very frustrating. I know it hasn't crossed the line for you, Kevin, but I was so disgusted by the state of DHS when I was there in September that my upcoming trip in November will be the first time ever that I'm getting a townhome and not staying on-site. After being completely loyal to The Mouse all these years, this time I'll be going to Universal and Sea World instead, and might not hit any of the WDW parks except maybe Epcot in the evenings for F&W.

Leonard Kinsey
    The Dark Side of Disney | The Anarchist Cookbook of Disney Travel Guides

Kevin, under the photo of George Washington in The Hall of Presidents you have a caption that reads "George Washington was 'one of us.'" Would you care to briefly expound on that, please?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2WDWfans View Post
    Kevin, under the photo of George Washington in The Hall of Presidents you have a caption that reads "George Washington was 'one of us.'" Would you care to briefly expound on that, please?
    Not Kevin, but the current Hall of Presidents show focuses on how average, everyday people can make it to the White House. Morgan Freeman repeats the phrase "one of us" numerous times throughout the show. It's so stressed in the show that it has become kind of a catchphrase in our house.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

I only questioned it because it singled out George Washington and seemed to ignore the other presidents surrounding him. If the quoteis meant to imply that all of the presidents were "one of us," then fine. As long as there wasn't any implied opinion, otherwise, that only GW was "one of us," while none of the others standing around him were. Since WDW and DL are two of the last bastions where one can leave one's problems - and politics - at the gate, we just hope it will stay that way.

• MiceAge Columnist

Yep, I was quoting the show. Washington was the first president, and Freeman makes it a point to stress how the man who could have been king instead just wanted to be "one of us" - nothing else was implied.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Thanks, as always, for one of my favorite MC columns.

I think perhaps the reason HoP always seems to be operating at 100% is because the show only has to operate once every half hour, as opposed to all the other attractions that run nonstop 12-18 hours per day without breaks. And yes indeed, maintenance budget and staff numbers have dwindled while the attraction roster has not. Imagine how sad the Mickey Mouse Revue would look now if it was still there?

I still say WDW needs to get over the worry of complaining guests and CLOSE attractions to let them have their rightful rehabs just as we do in DL. Once it becomes commonplace, guests will get over it and be able to not have their magical vacations ruined by 1 or 2 favorites being closed.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Registered Member

Its to bad that a lot of things inside the attractions at WDW are not working as they should. Management must not care about the quality they are giving the guests.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

• Hukuna Matata!

Great reporting. You pained a perfect picture. All reports were full of facts and great pictures. I hate to sound like a broken record, but its alway great. Thanks.

Hi Kevin,
    Just a clarification;
    The Steamboat Willie riverboat originally had "spinning fireworks" that ignited on the side of the riverboat. In 2007, an incident occurred when one of the spinning fireworks flew off of its stand and into the trees. Due to this incident, waterfall fireworks replaced the spinning fireworks when the show entered its 2008 season.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasmic!#Disney.27s_Hollywood_Studios_version

• Sock Puppet

Everything is working at Disneyland.
    Last edited by RAMKAM; 08-09-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Did not want anyone to think a political statement was intended.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast