Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

8/15: Tiki Tacky

Kevin reviews DisneyWorld's reopened Tiki Room - lite. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Tiki Tacky - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Helping build Tomorrow

Re: 8/15: Tiki Tacky

I'm fine with it being the original pre-show dialog, it's a bit retro and campy. Should have the Orange Bird in there somewhere though, would have been neat. No fire on Pele? No point in that.

Looks like the moving clouds/lightning effects are the same as what we've got at Trader Sams over here.

Okay, I'll give them cutting the fountain. It's just a few lines of dialog, and I can understand it. However, I would like to it come back in eventually. In a typical WDW move, this is the most they will spend on it in a while.

However, cutting out the sing-along? Where's the fun in that? Even at Disneyland, you see all kinds of kids and adults enjoy the sing-along, especially because Jose gives the words. Bad move.
    -Monorail Man

I just can't get excited about Tiki Birds. To be fair, I've never seen the show, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I do find it interesting that everyone seems to want it to be the same but different. Seem Walt Disney World can't win for losing.

I will say that the the Tiki Birds building looks great and add greatly to the ambiance of the area. If only they could get the Tiki statutes across the way to work . . .

• Minion

The singalong was the best part!

• Minion

As it is, I just think they trimmed it way too much. The current Disneyland version seems to be "just right" to me. This version ruins the flow of the show with jarring edits, and dilutes any build-up to the finale. Hopefully they will tweak it some to make it feel more like a complete show rather than the "Reader's Digest" version.

The other sore point seems to be the lack of the Enchanted Fountain. There was no *real* excuse not to reinstall it, and upgrade it to do some new tricks during the other numbers to add visual interest. The plumbing could easily have been re-run under the attraction. The Magic Kingdom is built over a basement with a network of tunnels to access the undersides of the attractions.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    However, cutting out the sing-along? Where's the fun in that? Even at Disneyland, you see all kinds of kids and adults enjoy the sing-along, especially because Jose gives the words. Bad move.
    What bugs me the most about it is on WDW's own site:

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Offical Site
    After all these years, this unique show still offers magical touches and delightful surprises. Even the audience gets into the act, joining in during the ditty "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing."
    Why say it's included when it's not?

However, that being said, I'm am EXTREMELY grateful they brought back the spirit of the original and am looking forward to seeing it next year when we return to WDW. It's nice to have another attraction we can experience in the Magic Kingdom, as Under New Management was not an option.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

I personally don't feel they trimmed the show to much at all. During our preview several guests walked out already showing they have no interest in the show. Had the show been any longer I feel more would have got up and walked out.

• Minion

Especially when "interactivity" seems to be the watchword of the day, it seems odd that the part they chose to cut was... the interactive part!

As a local WDW visitor, numbed by the "Under New Management" version, I actually wept in 2008 when I had the opportunity to see the completely-restored Tiki Room at Disneyland. The last time I had seen it was in 1967, as a child on a family vacation.
    (Thank you John Lassiter.)

I really enjoyed the Disneyland pre-show, and, of course, the oft mentioned "Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing" sing-a-long.

Anything will be better than the "Under New Management" incarnation. But, why can't they just get it "right" (instead of endlessly tinkering with classics over nickels and dimes)?

BTW, I find it hard to believe the "lower capacity (new fire rules)" claim. Sounds more like Disney lawyers if you ask me.
    The building/attraction was safe before, and, I'm sure safer now.
    Would this be governed by Reedy Creek, or by one of the WDW counties?
    In any event, I can't imagine an attraction that is easier to evacuate quickly than the Tiki Room.

• Disneyland Man

No fountain?? No focus. No point. No thanx.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear that they cut some parts out of this version.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

I saw a video of the new show on the Tube of You, and was shocked at how... well, wrong the birds looked. They have a very plastic look, and Jose seems to be wearing some kind of red fur coat that isn't attached to him and flops around on his back. It also looks like there are far fewer birds and less variety than at Disneyland, although this could be because the room is bigger. Overall, it looked to me like a knockoff, if that makes sense. ::sigh:: Then again, I'm seeing it through the eyes of a Disneyland purist, so take it with a grain of salt.
    MiceChat from Main Street.
    MiceChat goes mobile with the Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.

• The one, the only...

The Tiki Room pre-show, SHOULD have been changed. I don't thing there was any nostagia in that. The pre-show at Disneyland is elaborate and should not be changed, but in WDW there was nothing special about the old show. I think that using new technology and some interested voices, they could have really made it fun. WDW management really stumbled over this one.

As to the fountain, I love the fountain at Disneyland. It is a central part of the show. Walt knew that getting guest near water is magical. That is one of the reasons he did so many boat rides. A fountain that changes colors was innovative in the 1960's. Now not so much, but as a kid I loved it. I still see those beautiful colors and think that is magical.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• What'aya Say Pal?

I was unaware that the 'no hair' reference was directed at Wally Boag. I just thought that being as the German parrot was making the joke, it had to do with the title 'Heir Schmidt' and then' Oh I see, Schmidt has no hair'. Simply a play on words. Anyone else take it that way?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Beatens View Post
    I was unaware that the 'no hair' reference was directed at Wally Boag. I just thought that being as the German parrot was making the joke, it had to do with the title 'Heir Schmidt' and then' Oh I see, Schmidt has no hair'. Simply a play on words. Anyone else take it that way?
    That's the way I always took it too.

In my opinion, if they wanted to cut something, why not cut the impersonations that won't resonate with 21st audiences. I'm not sure how many people will even realize Bing Crosby, Ruth Buzzi, etc. are the ones being impersonated. Seems like the more logical cut to me.

Still, LOVE that the original is back, in a somewhat streamlined form...
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast