Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

8/23: Wither the World

Kevin notes DisneyWorld's lack of new attractions. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Wither the World - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Re: 8/23: Wither the World

Nice article. You discussed both sides of the issue and its easy to see why Disney is doing what they are doing. The economy is going to be in the dumps most of the decade, so WDW holding on to its numbers will be enough.

I actually like the new Fantasy Land going in, the land will be much more lavishly themed, plus the two new rides are fun for the whole family.

It makes sense in the war vs. Universal. Target families with kids too small for Potter, which requires 48". Your getting kids in the 2-8 years old range. That's a big segment and you are getting the all important first couple of vacations from them. This leaves lasting impressions on people and gets repeat business.

The thought process for these families is "Why switch when you have something good already". My family does the same type of vacations, and its based off of our previous experiences. I'm hitting DLR in 2012 for Carsland, Aulani in 2013, then WDW in 2014. I will add a night at Universal to check it out for the first time in 10 years, but that will be it.

• former CM

Prediction:
    when guests do visit WDW less frequently
    because there aren't enough extraordinary new attractions
    to make the long trip and high cost worthwhile,
    Disney will attribute the decline in attendance to "changing recreational tastes."

The "why should we" attitude will become a problem with DVC members who have purchased real estate interests in the resorts for the next 30 or so years. They get bored, decide to stop coming, sell off their points, and Disney's left with empty rooms.

I think calling the 7 Dwarfs Mine Coaster a D-ticket is extremely generous. The entire thing looks like only slightly longer than Gadget's Go-Coaster and I don't see much storytelling going on other than rolling fairly quickly past basic vignettes of the mining scene.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

The execs that green-light big-ticket projects review one-page summaries every week. And on paper, WDW is a money printer. Sure, I too would like a new pavilion in Epcot, or a Boardwalk-scale addition near Animal Kingdom, or a Great Movie Ride update, but that doesn't stop me from shelling out big bucks for my week-long trip every December. And my guess is I'm not alone.

Those California Adventure summaries are what led the execs to loosen their purse strings the last time. And until they see similar summaries for WDW, I don't expect any significant course corrections.

Boardroom Presentation: "Thank you all for coming. Now if you'll give me a minute, I have some ideas on how we can fix the most popular and profitable vacation destination in the country. Okay, can we bring down the lights please..."
    Last edited by NTSC Mickey; 08-23-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    The "why should we" attitude will become a problem with DVC members who have purchased real estate interests in the resorts for the next 30 or so years. They get bored, decide to stop coming, sell off their points, and Disney's left with empty rooms.
    Guess what happens when members sell off their points? New members take those points. Rooms still filled.

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    I think calling the 7 Dwarfs Mine Coaster a D-ticket is extremely generous. The entire thing looks like only slightly longer than Gadget's Go-Coaster and I don't see much storytelling going on other than rolling fairly quickly past basic vignettes of the mining scene.
    If you look at the complete land in photos, you will see that the track goes throughout the whole land, and thats not counting the inside portions you can't see. I'd say its twice the length of Gadget, with better story and theming. Sounds "D" ticket to me. Its not Thunder Mountain, but its also not Gadget.

Sad Re: 8/23: Wither the World

Alas, "Greedy" (the eighth dwarf).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Tom Staggs recognized the diasappointment of the lack of Disney World attraction announcements on the Disney Parks Blog, and posted this after his initial thank you was already posted:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Staggs
    I know many of you were hoping for announcements regarding new projects from Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, especially at Walt Disney World Resort, so I wanted to take a moment to address those comments. The projects we’ve already announced represent the largest period of growth ever in Disney Parks’ history. We’re working hard to create new and exciting experiences for our guests around the world and while the timing isn’t always right to announce another big project, we like to use opportunities like the D23 Expo to update fans like you on the great progress we’re making. We have several incredible projects currently in the works and look forward to sharing more information with all of you in the weeks and months ahead, including new details regarding Downtown Disney in Florida.
    While this might be just lip service to the fans who post and read the blog, it was a nice gesture overall and hopefully he follows through with announcements soon.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

I don't see a coaster going into the former Millionaire building happening anytime soon since, you know, there's already a little ride called Toy Story Midway Mania there.

• The one, the only...

We all know the reason there was no new attractions for WDW, current Disney management have been more "reactors" than "planners." If someone else makes a move, then something will happen in Florida. That is the only reason there is a new Fantasyland. It was a reaction to Harry. Even Mission Space was a reaction to what was going on at Cape Canaveral.

The goal with Florida Disney management has been to be "good enough" but not the best. As long as they continue to sell people on coming back to see the same attractions every year, they are happy.

I see this thinking as seriously flawed. It was the same "good enough" mind set that created Disney California Adventure in the first place. It only now is costing twice what it would have if they did it right to begin with.

Disney Management should have a plan for expansion for each of the Florida parks. Then when money is available all they have to do is bring out finished plans for new attractions that might draw more people.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Thumbs up Re: 8/23: Wither the World

While there is a lot that works with Expedition Everest, there is a lot that wasn't put in due to costs. The mountain is more box-like instead of original blue sky work which shows a larger more "squashed" type mountain with better themed outside area instead of just plants. So, yeah, EE looks cheap to me, (just like the LM ride in DCA.)

FLE is a couple times better than EE in terms of placemaking. Belle's village and the B&B show, while not technically a ride, look great. Plus, given the video of the Seven Dwarfs coaster, I'd rather ride that a couple times than EE where all you get to see is a Yeti, if they bother to turn on the strobe lights.

So, I don't think it is fair to compare the FLE to EE and think that it isn't worth it. Remember, the dumbo ride, while an old time favorite, will be rebuilt with fountains below it and an interactive queue. So, I count technically three new rides for $300, plus excellent theming and the B&B stuff, compared to EE which isn't my cup of tea, and FLE comes out ahead.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Disney is "spending" big: they are investing big. Shanghai Disneyland is joint-venture with Chinese firms, and is an investment decision which will make the company money longterm. Ditto for the cruise lines. But remember, Pixar is basically a cash cow, and Disney parks give free advertising to the live action films which make money too.

While you spouted off some interesting rumors, the big development is a possible future 5th gate in Orlando. Ticket prices are up, the Disney brand is in demand, and despite Harry Potter's success, the pantheon of Disney princesses and classics still brings in millions. When the global economy rebounds over the next decade, you can bet that Disney while look at expanding theme park capacity to soak up the crowds.

There is some really awesome (but preliminary) blue sky work done on a 5th gate theme park (which could also be built in Anaheim if they had the space, or elsewhere), which involves some pretty amazing blend of theming and technology that would create a sort of sister park for Disneyland in a new level of detail and scope, called "Disney's Enchanted Kingdom", of course the name could change. If D23 is still around in five years, or seven years time, then they might decide to do it and announce it there, so folks just need to have patience.

Trust me, while Harry's magic dazzles, the Mousetro is still hard at work . . .
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-23-2011 at 09:31 PM.

I think the worst thing they could do is announce a "Disney Decade" and not be able to keep to the plan.

• Golden State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlaster View Post
    I think the worst thing they could do is announce a "Disney Decade" and not be able to keep to the plan.
    That's the one thing Eisner was good for.
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    We all know the reason there was no new attractions for WDW, current Disney management have been more "reactors" than "planners.".
    I think that may be a little bias. Who actually knows what WDI has on the back burner for WDW. I would be willing to bet that there are hundreds of concepts and models sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting to be green lit. Then again that's just my opinion.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Minion

The 7 Dwarves Mine ride looks even more boring then I imagined. The entire FL expansion is one giant yawn.

I believe the rumors have a Monster's Inc coaster going into the soundstage to the left of TSMM. That is where the Sorcerer Mickey Meet n Greet used to occur. I believe it is called Sound Stage 1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast