Thread: 8/25: Detailing

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

8/25: Detailing

Sue details the D23 Cars Land panel discussion. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Detailing - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Re: 8/25: Detailing

Thanks. Look forward to reading part 2.

• Bucket List Car

Wonderful, detailed article on what I'm sure was an incredible discussion panel. Anxiously awaiting part two!!!

Did they mention anything about a waterfall being on this RS attraction? Since it was a key scene in Cars, it'd be nice for them to include it in. Also, given the arid feel of this land, it'd also be a refreshing component.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

From the article:
    "Lasseter described where the idea for Radiator Springs Racers originated and gave a few details about what the ride will be like, “Very, very, early on, in the beginning development of the movie Cars, I had gone to Florida and one of the things that I had always felt like was missing, is some way to do a story-telling ride, a dark ride, and combine thrill to it."

Has John not been on Indy? We should tell him about it!

---------- Post added 08-26-2011 at 10:08 AM ----------

I'm a little confused after reading the description of both the land and the ride. It sounds like they're building two versions of Radiator Springs, one in the land we walk through, and one we encounter inside the show building. Is that right? Or will the ride vehicles be interacting with portions of the same Luigi's and Ramone's that we see outside? That would be awesome, but sounds unlikely.

I don't doubt that the new Cars area might be as immersive and detailed as the Harry Potter land, but the difference is that instead of being immersed in a magical universe that is beloved by virtually everyone, you'll be immersed in the desert world of a mediocre animated film that a lot of people (including me) find "meh!", at best.

All that effort and detail for a movie that, frankly, I don't think deserves it.

Even from a financial standpoint, look at what happened to the recent Cars sequel. Instead of the $244 million the original film made, the sequel grossed just half of that, despite ticket price inflation and 3D on their side. They can't get the public interested in a single Cars sequel, while Potter managed seven of them, each grossing close to a billion dollars. Yet they waste that much precious space and effort on an entire land devoted to the movie?

There are so many other classic Disney films that haven't received anywhere near that kind of treatment. And now they own Marvel as well, offering even more possibilities. I think they could have chosen better.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by FredSimmons View Post
    I don't doubt that the new Cars area might be as immersive and detailed as the Harry Potter land, but the difference is that instead of being immersed in a magical universe that is beloved by virtually everyone, you'll be immersed in the desert world of a mediocre animated film that a lot of people (including me) find "meh!", at best.

All that effort and detail for a movie that, frankly, I don't think deserves it.

Even from a financial standpoint, look at what happened to the recent Cars sequel. Instead of the $244 million the original film made, the sequel grossed just half of that, despite ticket price inflation and 3D on their side. They can't get the public interested in a single Cars sequel, while Potter managed seven of them, each grossing close to a billion dollars. Yet they waste that much precious space and effort on an entire land devoted to the movie?

There are so many other classic Disney films that haven't received anywhere near that kind of treatment. And now they own Marvel as well, offering even more possibilities. I think they could have chosen better.
    You are looking at the tree instead of the forest.

First, this movie is going to do $600 million world wide, almost $200 million more than the second. Pixar was disappointed with the foreign numbers with the first thus why they tailored it overseas. Next, we have a franchise that oozes money when I comes to toys.

I'd rather spend time at radiator springs with three new rides instead of just the one new one at Potterland. While I agree the Potter movies were better than the Car's movies, that doesn't mean Carsland won't be fun. I love all kind of cars, as do many in So Cal. This is what we are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by FredSimmons View Post

As a Potter fan, I can understand your thoughts about it's perceived popularity vs. Cars. However, I think it is easy to underestimate the latter's reach if you look at box office alone. Cars has definitely proven its value and strength at the cash register.

Cars has now generated well over $10 billion, putting it among Disney's top franchises. As of this Spring, it was already on track to meet retail projections that will exceed Toy Story 3’s sales last year, positioning it to become the largest merchandise program in licensing industry history.

With Disney planning to release Cars Toons, short-form content that will be shown in movie theaters, included as bonus features on Disney DVDs, and aired on the Disney Channels and online, I suspect the popularity and revenue will only grow for the franchise.
    Last edited by El Grupo; 08-27-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Here's the full slideshow/audio of the presentation
    D23 Expo – Imagineering Cars Land Full Panel Discussion | WDW Fan Boys
    Co-Host of the WDW Fan Boys Podcast