Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

9/6: How Do You Don't?

Kevin notes DisneyWorld's Splash Mt. is again neglected... Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: How Do You Don't? - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Registered Member

Re: 9/6: How Do You Don't?

Youd think they would get the repairs to Splash Mountain right.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

• MiceAge Columnist

Not sure the 'third world country' comment is called for.
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

• MiceAge Columnist

I just realized I forgot to add a disclosure to the article: the author of the Dark Side of Disney book sent me a review copy, so I didn't buy mine.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

What's really interesting about the signs is that they are not owned or maintained by Disney. It's actually RCID that takes care of them and in fact like with most things they're level of care and quality usually far exceeds Disney. They usually replace those signs before they even start to show any signs of wear or fading. In fact they just replaced a huge amount of signs a few months ago. I'm wondering if these were some that were replaced and there is a problem with this newest batch of signs. In any case I wouldn't expect to see this problem linger as long as it would if it were in a Disney park.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Yee
    There’s a counter-culture vibe to the writing, of course. The author appears to particularly relish alcohol, drugs, and sex in the parks. The impish tone of the writing might give one pause—is he really this bent on such behavior, or is it a persona of the author?
    Just go and watch some of his videos posted online if you want to draw your own conclusion on persona vs actual...

The idea of 'I still live in my mom's basement' comes to mind. It's like if you took Garth from Wayne's World and replaced innocence with disrespect.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Regarding ticket prices. I don't love the fact that it is so expensive, but the reality is that the cheaper the costs, the more crowded it would be. How does one judge "under priced" or "over priced"? As far as I know, if you don't sell what you have, you are probably over priced. If you sell all that you have or more, you are probably under priced. The value of anything is what enough people are willing to pay, in order for you to sell all that you want to. Using this logic, I unfortunately feel that Disney park tickets are closer to underpriced than anything else, especially the local annual passes.

• former CM

Thanks for the update, Kevin!

Please follow up if Splash Mountain and the peeling signs are or are not repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The idea of 'I still live in my mom's basement' comes to mind. It's like if you took Garth from Wayne's World and replaced innocence with disrespect.
    LOL, that's awesome! I totally wish I'd had this quote before I sent out all my press stuff.

Thanks a bunch for the review, Kevin. I thought it was very balanced and it seems like you really "got" the book. And yes, I think the persona vs. reality issue is one that everyone can interpret differently (especially in light of the YouTube vids), which hopefully adds to the fun of reading the book!

Sincerely,
    Leonard Kinsey
    The Dark Side of Disney | The Anarchist Cookbook of Disney Travel Guides

Thanks for continuing to point out the animatronics neglect. I just rode Splash at DL a week ago twice in a row, and found almost no maintenance issues. Weird. Can the budgets be that different? There's only one solution here: hire more maintenance crew or restore "old" budgets. Completely static figures are unheard of - to me, that means they've been purposely disconnected. At DL, when failure is that high, the figs are taken backstage for repair and never left onstage motionless. That just baffles me!
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Nutty about Disney parks

That video was just mortifying to watch.

• Senior Minion

Right now I would pay large amounts of money to have that video erased from my brain.

(I realize the guy is just trying to make a buck, but ohhhhhmyyyyygoddddd...)
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    Thanks for continuing to point out the animatronics neglect. I just rode Splash at DL a week ago twice in a row, and found almost no maintenance issues. Weird. Can the budgets be that different? There's only one solution here: hire more maintenance crew or restore "old" budgets. Completely static figures are unheard of - to me, that means they've been purposely disconnected. At DL, when failure is that high, the figs are taken backstage for repair and never left onstage motionless. That just baffles me!
    It is obvious that the "One Disney" mindset has not made it to Disneyland. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KY
    Either Disneyland (and certainly WDW) was underpriced even in 1997, or it’s overpriced now.
    The one-day's are overpriced, and the AP's depending on the frequency of use, are severely underpriced. The one-day's could be properly priced (say around $50) if there were no AP Program. Sure, fewer admissions would occur, especially in what would be called an "offseason," where more attractions would get their maintenance taken care of.

Lastly, that book seems ghastly. However, the $3 kindle price might, um, kindle my interest in it! I mean, if I were 22, I would probably need it, or write it myself. Now that I'm on the other side of 50, of course I find it objectionable.
    Now, all I have to do is figure out how to download it to the kindle thing....
    Last edited by sediment; 09-06-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardKinsey View Post
    LOL, that's awesome! I totally wish I'd had this quote before I sent out all my press stuff.
    ...I'm here all week

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardKinsey View Post
    Thanks a bunch for the review, Kevin. I thought it was very balanced and it seems like you really "got" the book. And yes, I think the persona vs. reality issue is one that everyone can interpret differently (especially in light of the YouTube vids), which hopefully adds to the fun of reading the book!
    Curious though.. how do you draw the line between 'scammy' and tricks to abuse a privilege? I mean, the point in the review makes it sound like a stunt is below you, yet you eagerly share it. Is it simply 'acknowledging' it's presence or it is trying to wash your hands of it?

Encouraging abuse of freedoms only leads to more oversight and clamping down of those freedoms. Like people needing wristbands to keep pool hoppers out...

I'm for freedom of information, just not encouraging abusing it.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Curious though.. how do you draw the line between 'scammy' and tricks to abuse a privilege? I mean, the point in the review makes it sound like a stunt is below you, yet you eagerly share it. Is it simply 'acknowledging' it's presence or it is trying to wash your hands of it?
    --That's a good question, and I can't really say I have a definitive answer for it. Looking at it from one perspective, most of these tricks/tips/scams can be found by a quick Google search, and I've just compiled them in an (hopefully) interesting and entertaining manner. On the other hand, there are times where it could be construed that I'm advocating that people engage in these stunts, especially if I really disagree with whatever policy Disney has in place that the scam takes advantage of.

Encouraging abuse of freedoms only leads to more oversight and clamping down of those freedoms. Like people needing wristbands to keep pool hoppers out...
    --That's one scenario. The other is that Disney realizes how ridiculous some of their policies are, and gets rid of the restrictions altogether. I'm of the opinion that there's no system Disney could put into place that someone couldn't hack/scam if they really wanted to. As a result a lot of their policies end up being inconvenient to guests, while still not stopping the really determined scammers.

I'm for freedom of information, just not encouraging abusing it.
    --Yeah, basically I've put the information out there but have tried to be somewhat responsible in telling people the risks involved in using that information in a possibly illegal/immoral manner. I obviously can't force anybody to do the things I mention in my book, but I can't really stop them either. And again, 90% of this info is already out there, probably with a lot less disclaimers than I give in my book.
    Leonard Kinsey
    Author, THE DARK SIDE OF DISNEY
    www.darksideofdisney.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast