Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

10/18: Jive Turkey

Disney Dining Plan: An arm for a leg? Kevin also has LegoLand and meet information too. Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Jive Turkey - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: 10/18: Jive Turkey

I keep reading articles about Walt Disney World, and I keep rethinking my decision about returning there for a trip when the Fantasyland expansion is complete. One thing's for sure, I will definitely do my homework before I go, so nothing I find will take me surprise. Things sure have changed since my first trip there in 1997, and my last trip there in 2009.

Thanks MiceChat for reporting all sides of things.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Disney has created such an amazing experience at WDW, it's a shame they can't manage food service properly. Disney dining used to be something we looked forward to and we had favorites at many counter-service restaurants. Now Disney quick service is something we avoid at all costs. We now schedule one or two meals at favorite restaurants and dine in otherwise. Fortunately we have enough DVC points to get a one-bedroom with a kitchen.

I was down for a 4 Day trip from Weds - Sat... Magic Kingdom was PACKED on Saturday.

I was troubled by the touch screen food ordering system at Pecos Bill's. It took my girlfriend and I 9 minutes to get our order - which was a large beverage. (She wanted Minute Maid Light, which is sold in ODV carts at the other three parts but was nowhere to be found in MK). We had a nice experience, but the crowds were ridiculous and ill-mannered.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The DDP cancer just continues. When you try to make the opt-in program universally adopted it is inevitable that these types of 'improvements' are made bringing down the larger product.

The question is.. where is the tipping point before Disney snaps?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceAge Columnist

Ooh, I like the term, flynnibus. "DDP cancer" is exactly right. I may have to start using that.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Banned User

Great update Kevin, especially the declining by degrees part concerning dining at Magic Kingdom/WDW, while a small percentage of past 'Declining by Degrees' might be borderline nitpicking, you really hit the nail on the head with this one (IMHO), and your experience in dining at DL really made it a good article.

I used to heavily frequent WDW, and I *hated* the fact that Aunt Polly's closed down on Tom Sawyer's Island. Didn't they once serve hamburgers and real food? Sadly, you can't have the experience of eating on the island anymore, and the boarded up windows stick out like a sore thumb, and are plainly visible from across the river. I assume that the cost/time involved with getting food to the island was too much (unless the Utilidoors go under the river??). I was happy to see that somebody else was peeved that Aunt Polly's closed down besides me.

Disneyland also used to have food options at the fort, when it was open. I remember sodas and brownies. Now, if you want something to eat, you are stuck. I think there was the issue of picking up trash and the mess it created, although there are trash-cans-disguised-as-tree-stumps everywhere.

Overall, Disneyland dining is getting better, in my experience, as they revamped the menu at Country Bear and Cafe Orleans is serving stuff you would normally only get inside the Blue Bayou—Montre Cristo anyone?

The turkey legs are too expensive, I think they are still just $8.99 in Disneyland? I'm going in a week and I'll have to take some pictures.

Guests really notice when restaurants shutdown early, or have limited availability, I remember 3+ years ago trying to find some place to eat in Adventureland in Magic Kingdom, and the pirate and perrot was closed. Hopefully Adventureland will get a major refurb, which they were going to do due to the popularity of the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

• Marching along

Question Re: 10/18: Jive Turkey

Does anyone know what percentage of visitors to WDW actually participate in the DDP?

Raising food prices across the board is a great way to hype the "perceived value" for DDP guests. But for the rest of us, it turns Disney food into a huge ripoff.

The question is, do so many people participate in the dining plan that it's worth it for WDW to tick off everyone else?

Our family still visits WDW frequently, but we eat and drink there only when we have no other choice.

And forget table service. We used to eat sit-down meals there all the time (15-20 meals or more yearly for more than a decade) but the mediocre food, outrageous pricing and ridiculous reservation process has whittled that number down to exactly 3 for 2011. It's just not worth it anymore.

It's interesting to me that in almost all other industries companies are reducing prices or offering more discounts, albeit they are also streamlining workforces and upgrades too. But Disney is doing the exact opposite. I'm guessing as soon as Carsland opens it's doors in DCA and the new Fantasyland in WDW the ticket prices will soar as well. The economy is not getting better and if Disney does not watch out, they'll price guests right out of their Parks.

That being said, it seems to me that the powers that be at Disney are more interested in helping out the longer staying guest then the day guests. The DDP is actually a great deal if you are staying for more than 2 days. I also see this for admission prices as well. The one day park-hoppers and annual passes are getting pricier while the extended stay passes seem to get a better discount.

But what are we to do? We still flock to the park and spend the money maybe we don't go as regularly as we used to, but Disney has yet to be impacted in the bottom-line enough to change anything so why would they?

I'm pretty sure expenses are going up. Animal feed and corn all the way up to turkeys themselves, not to mention energy costs and how about employee union demands? Have those gone up recently?

• Circle of Ancients

On our 3 trips to WDW, I think we've eaten "in park counter service" a grand total of 4 times (and we are talking about 25 "park days").

I also can't see how anybody can see all of that grease on the glass and think "I have to have one of those Turkey legs".

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
    I'm pretty sure expenses are going up. Animal feed and corn all the way up to turkeys themselves, not to mention energy costs and how about employee union demands? Have those gone up recently?
    The turkeys that provide the turkey legs are 40 to 50 lbs in weight, and the legs weigh a pound and a half each, which has lead some to believe that they are emu legs. And they are salty as a 'salt water cure' is injected into the legs.

Walt Disney World - Frontierland Turkey Leg - YouTube (Turkey leg video)

Not sure if the price of the legs has gone up, these must be older turkeys (to get to weigh 40+ lbs), so they might be more expensive given the cost to raise the turkey to whatever age?

I was expecting to hear something about the credit card holds and cancelation fees Disney is slapping on ADRs for all their most popular restaurants. If that isn't a decline be degrees, I don't know what is!

The problem with this artificial inflation of food prices at WDW is that it's alienating the core audience (or what I thought was the core): DVC members and annual passholders. Neither are generally eligible to even purchase the DDP, so isn't this just going to cause more offsite dining (locals) and in-room eating (DVC members with kitchens)?
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Marching along

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    The problem with this artificial inflation of food prices at WDW is that it's alienating the core audience (or what I thought was the core): DVC members and annual passholders. Neither are generally eligible to even purchase the DDP, so isn't this just going to cause more offsite dining (locals) and in-room eating (DVC members with kitchens)?
    More and more, I think they want their core audience to be first-time or once-in-a-lifetime visitors and/or people who don't know any better.

Perhaps they feel they already have DVC owners' money. And as far as annual passholders, perhaps they don't like to recognize the fact that we spend an awful lot of money at WDW too. Perhaps we just expect more in return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast