Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

10/25: Patch of Blue

They were blue before Avatar, plus Kevin also has a new slideshow and meet information too. Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Patch of Blue - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• some guy

Re: 10/25: Patch of Blue

I skipped this show when I was in Orlando this summer, mainly because I've seen Blue man twice at Luxor in Vegas, once at the Venetian, and twice on tour in San Diego. All the shows were slightly different (and in the case of one of the touring shows, ENTIRELY different, with more of a rock and roll theme, complete with vocalists!) But your description sounds a lot like the Vegas shows.

On their most recent tour they had a clever new segment featuring giant iPads, and they replaced the toilet paper finale with a whole new finale that puts the old ending to shame (I don't want to spoil it, but I'll just say that if the finale you saw didn't make you want to get up and dance, this one will without a doubt.) Hopefully these will be among the changes implemented to the Orlando show, as they are some of the better pieces I've seen them do.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the show so much, Kevin! Hopefully you'll do a review of the retooled show next year
    RAKE-A-REESY, CLUCK CLUCK

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by fravitmonk View Post

On their most recent tour they had a clever new segment featuring giant iPads, and they replaced the toilet paper finale with a whole new finale that puts the old ending to shame (I don't want to spoil it, but I'll just say that if the finale you saw didn't make you want to get up and dance, this one will without a doubt.) Hopefully these will be among the changes implemented to the Orlando show, as they are some of the better pieces I've seen them do.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the show so much, Kevin! Hopefully you'll do a review of the retooled show next year
    I can confirm that the new touring stage show segments will be added. Including the opportunity to shake your booty.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Boy this site is dead (sorry, Kevin, just had to remark on the fact no one seems to comment on your or Al's columns much at all anymore ... not a knock on you guys, more a statement on Disney's efforts at using Social Media to rip the community apart).

I'm glad you got freebies to see Blue Man because I honestly can't understand why anyone would pay to see them.

I get they think they're making some grand social statements, but what they are, I admit, I have no idea.

After hearing how great they were, I finally (against my better judgment) paid $250 for seats to see them in Vegas at the Luxor in 2004. The absolute worst experience at a show I can think of. I'll take Spidey in NYC over that crap.

Worse, while I'm glad you and the family enjoyed being covered by rolls of toilet paper, that's generally not what I pay good $$$ to see. And being claustrophobic, it was actually scary when that stuff was all over us with no way to see or move. I was thisclose to a full blown anxiety/panic attack. I think if they told people what they actually did, they mighty lose a large chunk of their audience.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it and didn't have to pay for it, but I think they are godawful and wouldn't go again if they were free and threw in dinner at Tchoup Chop.

Just awful ... and what did you think of the beyond tacky MK guidemaps being used to hawk sales of Pirates 4 DVDs? I have never seen a Disney park map used in such a blatant way.

~GFC~

• some guy

Wow, that's the first negative review I've heard of any of the BMG shows. Congratulations, you are Statler and/or Waldorf.
    RAKE-A-REESY, CLUCK CLUCK

• MiceAge Columnist

$250 is pretty steep. it's $65/adult out here, and I think that price would be worth it.

If you can't tell from my review, I REALLY liked the strobe light part, mostly because it was unexpected (and I have no claustrophobia).

Re: the guidemaps - I didn't notice! I'll have to get out there this weekend.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

One thing: the Epcot guide map you had in your video update seems to be promoting the "Kim Possible" Adventure game, is this correct?

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Registered Member

Great article. I love the Blue Man Crew!!!
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Boy this site is dead (sorry, Kevin, just had to remark on the fact no one seems to comment on your or Al's columns much at all anymore ... not a knock on you guys, more a statement on Disney's efforts at using Social Media to rip the community apart).
    I agree the site is getting a bit soft.
    You think it's Disney plugging the leaks? Disney "bribing" Al and Kevin? Disney "bribing" the chat owners who can dictate the tone of posts? Disney actively "reporting" posts with their planted posters to squelch negative POV?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

*koff*D23?*koff*
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I agree the site is getting a bit soft.
    You think it's Disney plugging the leaks? Disney "bribing" Al and Kevin? Disney "bribing" the chat owners who can dictate the tone of posts? Disney actively "reporting" posts with their planted posters to squelch negative POV?
    Well, Disney has certainly plugged many of the leaks that seemed to flow into Al's columns. I don't think so much so with Kevin. ... I think Al has gone a bit soft on TDA and TWDC because he likes (as do I) much of what is happening in Anaheim, plus he has a strange soft spot for Georgie K who is playing the fan community like the Pied Piper of Pixie Dust.

But, overall, Disney has worked to kill sites like this and LP.com (notice how they haven't put out a Tales From the LP fanzine in 18 months?) and anywhere that serious discussions about what they are doing behind the scenes and why take place. Just do a search on Duncan Wardle and his take on Disney and Social Media ... or follow some of their consultants on Twitter (Shel Holtz and Josh Hallet of Voce Communications to name two) ... people who get paid absurd amounts of money to tell Disney how to get into bed with Mommy (and Papi) Bloggers ... pay off online personalities/webmasters/podcasters with free trips/tix/swag/access (controlled of course) to Imagineers, B-list celebs and execs etc.

Bottom line is when Al or Kevin used to write a column you'd see pages of responses in just one day. Now ... you may never see more than a page or two in weeks. And I suspect the main site isn't getting the traffic it once did because people like to comment on what they read.

Beyond the DL board here, the boards are dead. And, yes, I think Disney is quite happy about that.

~GFC~

• Minion

I saw the Luxor BMG show a few years back, and I couldn't have enjoyed it more. Aside from the comedy and the percussion, there were some moments when you were looking at the stage and still didn't quite know what you were seeing. Excellent visuals, terrific production. Glad you got to see it, Kevin!

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by fravitmonk View Post
    Wow, that's the first negative review I've heard of any of the BMG shows. Congratulations, you are Statler and/or Waldorf.
    I know of several people who don't like BMG and I understand all their reasons. One of the big ones is strobes/claustrophobia, which I can understand.
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 10-26-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Obscenity and bashing forum member by name.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Just to follow up on post 11 above and ignore the (blank) in post 13, this story just came out online (in print tomorrow in SoFla) ... I found it fascinating for so many reasons.Hard-Core Disney Fans Can't Be Corralled by the Corporate-Approved Fan Club, D23 - Page 1 - News - Broward/Palm Beach - Broward-Palm Beach New Times

• Rock Star Minion

That's a nice read, thanks for the link.

I'm not a member of D23. if DIS wants my money, it can do it the old-fashioned way: giving me something I want in return.

Kev, keep up the good work. By that, I mean, show us some Declining by Degrees, unless:
    a) You can't find any;
    b) You are not looking for any, for some reason.

Also, by that, I don't mean:
    1) Reviewing some freebie show or tour.
    2) Reviewing books.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast