Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/1: Cars Too

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

11/1: Cars Too

Cars Land: Marketing & Entertainment plans, Disneyland rehabs, More... Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Cars Too - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• back in Austin

Re: 11/1: Cars Too

Always nice to read one of your columns, Al. Thanks!

I guess I'm one of the few people who actually liked Cars 2. It probably helps that I went in with low expectations!

One of the things that hit me most was the repeat of the 2001-era DCA complaint: "there isn't anything for my kids to do here." Makes me want to punch the people who originally designed the park for getting so far removed from Disney's core values. I guess they're paying for it now, though.

Hey, does anyone know of a resource for photos of cast member uniforms throughout the decades? I'd love to be able to go to one site and see what they used to look like for the different attractions at DL and DCA.

• Kawasaki Kreep

Great update! I visited DLR back in 2004 and was so disgusted by DCA that I turned my experience into a 6 page rant of an essay for a writing class I was taking in college (got an A on it). I couldn't believe how tacky and soulless the place was. The 7-11 down the street from my house had better themeing! I left feeling not only disappointed but out right insulted. Clearly here was a park made on the super cheap by clueless executives with one goal, to sell me worthless crap at as little expense to themselves as they could.

I didn't bother going into DCA when I went back for the 50th, but did venture in last year in 2010 to see all the construction going on. Even with all the walls up the atmosphere had changed. The park was actually interesting! I found all the construction walls to be signs of hope, hope that that park may in fact become something great.
    Last edited by evmo; 11-01-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Jenny1987 View Post
    Oh dear sweet zombie jesus on a stick no.

Hi Al! There was a photo a few weeks ago taken of the new bobsleds for Matterhorn. In one of the photos, it looked as though there might be on board speakers. I was wondering if you knew anything about this. I think a sync-ed up track would be an excellent addition to Matterhorn.

• Rock Star Minion

Oooh, attendance numbers!
    8.7 visits per AP.
    Declining local attendance.
    Non-locals spend more than locals.

Lots of goodies in there. And no hint of compromising his philosophy.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

How is the Nov 14 AP event going to work? Like the last event? Curious because we were planning on going Nov 14 and would love to attend if it happens. We did not get to even sign up last time. We can only go once a month with our pass so we picked Nov 14 and would love to stay later than 8pm when parks are closing.

• some guy

Thumbs up Re: 11/1: Cars Too

I always look forward to Al columns. Lots of cool stuff in this update, particularly the bits about entertainment. I'm loving the feel they're going for with Buena Vista Street.

As a fan of elecTRONica, I'm a *tad* skeptical on Mad T Party. I always liked the rotating DJ's. I'm wondering how live bands will create a MORE nightclub vibe, as every nightclub I've ever gone has had a DJ. I'm also wondering where that permanent stage will go (if they aren't planning on using the Dance Crew / Laserman stage.) Could it be in front of the bathrooms by animation station? That would shift the party center back to the street. Also wondering if we'll get any other kind of entertainment like we did with Flynn's and the Tron preview in the Muppet lab. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun though, whatever they come up with. As long as I can dance with friends to good music.

I'm not sure why, but I hadn't imagined any street entertainment happening for Cars Land (which is stupid really, of course there would be.) Though I'm not a huge Cars fan, I keep getting more and more excited about this project, especially with today's update. The street acts should make it all feel much more alive. I also love the 50's vibe - DCA is quickly becoming a place that takes you to different eras of California, even if it's a cartoony version of California where people are all vehicles.

Can they just let Electrical Parade retire already? I love the parade, it's one of my fondest childhood memories of Disneyland, but I'm not for keeping things around just for the sake of nostalgia if there isn't a place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by evmo View Post
    Great update! I visited DLR back in 2004 and was so disgusted by DCA that I turned my experience into a 6 page rant of an essay for a writing class I was taking in college (got an A on it).
    That sounds awesome. Any chance we could read that?
    RAKE-A-REESY, CLUCK CLUCK

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    Since the international and domestic tourists spend far more per capita than the locals or AP demographic, it’s a very lucrative group of customers that Disney just loves to see show up at its parks every morning.
    What's this? Six responses so far, but not one from a Disney employee who claims to have access to data that proves Al is full of Jolly Holiday Muffins?
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• The one, the only...

Great update, Al! I appreciate all the work that has been done for DCA. It really is going to be a much better park when it is finished. I, however, am a Disneyland fan too and feel that it has been neglected through all the attention paid its sister.

I believe that now is the time to start planning for Disneyland's 60th birthday. I believe that an addition of a new Tomorrowland or a really cool new E-ticket would be the the kicker to get people to come to the park to celebrate again, just as they did for the 50th. I wish that the Disney execs were not so short sighted as to only thing about what is happening next year.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    What's this? Six responses so far, but not one from a Disney employee who claims to have access to data that proves Al is full of Jolly Holiday Muffins?
    More surprising is the lack of posts by AP'ers who claim to spend hundreds of dollars per person every day they visit and so clearly that stat (which is an average and not the exact amount that each APer spends) cannot possibly be true.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Since you mentioned the hurried changeover from Halloween to Christmas decor, I'd like to thank Disneyland for having the common sense to wait until (at least) after Halloween before adding the Christmas stuff. Yesterday, on Halloween night, I visited two malls in the South Bay (the Galleria and Del Amo). Both malls already had their Christmas decorations up (and lit), making for an tableau of costumed trick-or-treaters trying to celebrate Halloween while walking beneath glowing Christmas decorations.

• Banned User

Great Column Al, but I have a few bones to pick:

1. I just bought the DVD for Cars 2 today, haven't seen the film in theaters (maybe a lot of folks are waiting for the DVD). I expect a great film as I enjoy everything Pixar makes. Cars 2 grossed $553,630,189 worldwide, that more than the original Cars which grossed $461,923,762. And even though Cars 2 costed $200 million to make, I am sure that with the continued sale of Cars merchandise, plus keeping Carsland relevant, Disney will make probably close to a billion off of the film in the long run when you also consider possibly $200 million in dvd sales.

2. Al said, "Their goal with both Cars Land and Buena Vista Street is to offer a similarly hyper-themed selection of merchandise and food to support the very strong stories told at the actual attractions and via the fantastic architecture and surroundings." Forgive me, but I think that while Buena Vista Street will be an improvement, it won't approach Potterland in any respect. Plus, Buena Vista street isn't based on a franchise of best-selling children's books and movies, it based on stale old ideas that built parks like Universal Studios and (MGM) Disney Studios in Orlando, out of the hope that the masses will be goo-goo eyed over Hollywood. Did this work for Super-Star Limo? I don't think Buena Vista street will be the big hit TDA is hoping for. It won't have soul and good atmosphere like Main Street. I rest my case.

I think Al just wants to give the massive make-over a chance before he judges it. I think that when Carsland opens it, and it alone, will be a big hit, and the rest of DCA will still be a yawn.

3. The Little Mermaid Ride. Doesn't have the magic of anything in Fantasyland, horrible queue and fascade, looks like a Barnes and Noble. I would love to know what Lutz says about this, but he's been silent about Mermaid's failure. Yes?

More surprising is the lack of posts by AP'ers who claim to spend hundreds of dollars per person every day they visit and so clearly that stat (which is an average and not the exact amount that each APer spends) cannot possibly be true.

Truth in advertising: As a local who has had an annual pass in the past (for several years), I can tell you that I personally never spent much inside Disneyland. I'd usually have a meal at a restaurant there (just for the ambiance), but I'd deliberately avoid their overpriced food carts, and I haven't bought a Disneyland souvenir since I was a kid visiting the park for the first time.

Then again, I don't use up the rides the way most tourists do. Having been on them many times before (and hating to wait in lines), a trip to the park today is now mostly just to enjoy the park as a place, to stroll about, people-watch, soak in the atmosphere, shoot photos, and perhaps hop on one or two rides if the lines are short. I usually only stayed a few hours. And I also avoided the park when it was ultra-crowded (goes with the line-hating), despite having a premium pass, so I didn't add to overcrowding. I prefer uncrowded days when I have the park to myself, so to speak.

So, as I see it, Disneyland was getting $500 from me for the pass, and probably that much again on meals. And since the park was already up & running, I cost them next to nothing on my short visits.

---------- Post added 11-01-2011 at 04:03 PM ----------

1. I just bought the DVD for Cars 2 today, haven't seen the film in theaters (maybe a lot of folks are waiting for the DVD). I expect a great film as I enjoy everything Pixar makes.

Let me get this straight: You bought the DVD of "Cars 2", even though you hadn't seen it, and despite the fact that critics were almost unanimous in despising the movie? Why didn't you just rent it first to see if you liked it?

This review called it "Pixar's first bad film". (Review: Cars 2 (2011) CinemaSight)

Another review said "It's not that Cars 2 is bad - it's just ordinary, and Pixar has never made ordinary." (Cars 2 | BrandonFibbs.com)
    Last edited by FredSimmons; 11-01-2011 at 03:01 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Somebody from Disney officially said tourists spend less than locals/APers? I'd love to see evidence of that as it seems far more like something a scarecrow would say.

With value APs bringing the mean down, it's a foregone conclusion where AP spending as a whole stands relative to tourists. The only interesting statistic, and the one that wasn't divulged, is per capita spending of PREMIUM annual pass holders (AKA Tokyo style pass holders AKA those paying what are more sensible AP prices).

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    8.7 visits per AP.
    Where is that number coming from?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FredSimmons View Post
    So, as I see it, Disneyland was getting $500 from me for the pass, and probably that much again on meals. And since the park was already up & running, I cost them next to nothing on my short visits.
    Well, it's you and an average of 20,200 other AP'ers every single day. For a group of this size, the expenses can add up. And when revenues don't match, smart companies rethink the idea of pre-apid admission programs, or choose to invest in incremental-revenue-generating ideas. Like increasing prices of everything else or cheapening the product.
    Your $500 revenue total for food over your many visits, in order to compare that to admissions of others, needs to consider the cost of the goods sold. No idea what that is. If 100% markup, then $250 in marginal profit. And, it's something many non-Ap'ers spend money on every visit as well.

Also, I wonder if Al can tell us if the overall attendance total includes same-day park-hoppers. The total of the attendance figures he offers is 21.5 million. That's an average of 59,000 visitors every day. I find this a little hard to believe, unless there are 10,000 or so AP'ers every day like Fred, above, who flit in for a few hours per visit. (And that's not all that unbelievable.) Easier to believe is that the figure double-counts park-hoppers. There was an industry standard some ten years ago that stated "no double-counting the parkhoppers," but industry enforces its own rules and I don't know if Disney kept with that standard. after DCA opened.

---------- Post added 11-01-2011 at 04:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post

Where is that number coming from?
    7.4 million AP admissions, from Al.
    850,000 APs, from Al.
    Division in mathematics is less than 12,000 years old, according to wiki.
    Last edited by sediment; 11-01-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast