• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

11/2: Camp Spooky

The parks aren't alone in decorating for Halloween. Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Camp Spooky - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• The one, the only...

Re: 11/2: Camp Spooky

Thanks for the article. I think Disney at WDW is really missing the potential too for Halloween. They have a great family event at MK. But there is no teen events at the resort. If Disney were smart they would do a more teen oriented, maybe more maze filled, Halloween event at the Hollywood Studios. They might be getting families to fork over for two premium events for Halloween.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Rock Star Minion

Is that Minnie in a bubble bath, or is she in ice with her kidney removed??????
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• is too darn hot.

How on Earth could people live year round at the Fort Wilderness campground? I love Disney, but that's just too much. How much is it per night to stay there?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Is that Minnie in a bubble bath, or is she in ice with her kidney removed??????
    Way off topic, but you know that is all urban myth, right?

snopes.com: Kidney Theft

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    Thanks for the article. I think Disney at WDW is really missing the potential too for Halloween. They have a great family event at MK. But there is no teen events at the resort. If Disney were smart they would do a more teen oriented, maybe more maze filled, Halloween event at the Hollywood Studios. They might be getting families to fork over for two premium events for Halloween.
    That could work, with importing HKDL's Halloween Mazes to DHS and it would sound awesome!

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

I was wondering the same thing, on how one is able to camp year round at the Fort Wilderness Camp Grounds?

• MiceAge Columnist

When I heard that, I resolved to investigate for next time. There's a story there, I assume. My first question is whether the rules at Reedy Creek allow for it. Are there zoning issues to consider? Then again, there is precedent for long-term hotel stays, so it may not be an issue after all. But I do want to look into it when I get a chance.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Keeping Disney Solvent

As always, thanks for a great article.

Interesting that you should look at private vs. professional holiday displays and the narrowing gap between the two, which I believe isn't so much Disney being a slouch, but rather the astounding drop in cost and leaps in power of technology to run such complex events. We, too, go crazy at Halloween and this year created our own 'End of Line Club' built out of vinyl downspouts, translucent plastic, and all controlled by a $150 16 channel 30 amp dimmer pack, run from the laptop you can see on the edge of the bar.
    End of Line Club, Halloween on Vimeo

As long as Disney views the fan fervor as a compliment and a challenge, and stays ahead of the curve in scale, creativity and vision, (which they seem to be doing with the World of Color, Cars Land, etc,) we'll keep going back for years for pure amazment and inspiring concepts. Technology can run the vision, but it's the creative vision that sets Disney apart.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kindagoofy View Post

Interesting that you should look at private vs. professional holiday displays and the narrowing gap between the two, which I believe isn't so much Disney being a slouch, but rather the astounding drop in cost and leaps in power of technology to run such complex events.
    Absolutely! We used to turn the yard and front room of our house into a mini haunted house for the trick-or-treaters, and the basement into aanother one for Halloween parties (Halloween came right between my sister's birthday and mine. so we had one big party in the middle instead of two). We had to make most of the decorations from scratch, because you just couldn't buy that stuff at Target like you can now. We made our own tombstones with wood, jigsaw, and paint; we wove our own fake cobwebs, we made bones, balls, and chains, and other props with papier mache, and foget about home fog machines - it was water and dry ice all the way! Kids today have it easy! (I'd better add another onion to my belt.)