• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

11/15: Absolutely Disneyland

Kevin debuts the first of three new books this year; "Disneyland Almanac" (co-authored
    by Jason Schultz). Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Absolutely Disneyland - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 11/15: Absolutely Disneyland

Yo, Kev -- don't leave me hanging! PUH-LEEZE go into a bit more detail about your feelings on Ariel's Undersea Adventure. The majority of your East Coast brethren (and sisteren!) have yet to take the plunge!
    Bored? Check out my animation news & reviews website: http://skunkandburningtires.com

• Closed Account

Just bought the book. Sounds like an incredible resource.

• Joe Flowers

I love the design of the cover.

Mine just shipped! So exciting! The office is gonna love this!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ju-osh View Post
    Yo, Kev -- don't leave me hanging! PUH-LEEZE go into a bit more detail about your feelings on Ariel's Undersea Adventure. The majority of your East Coast brethren (and sisteren!) have yet to take the plunge!
    I'm going to guess that he feels about the same as most other folks here on the west coast: "Seen it; meh; no need to see it again."

Nice advertisement of the book, though. I might buy it for my Kindle (at about half the current price), so I can enlarge the font.

I'd like to know how often attendance of a day has exceeded DL capacity. Probably more frequently in recent years than in the past, due to the influx of part-time guests.
    Last edited by sediment; 11-15-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

That is awesome Kevin! A whole almanac chronicling each day. I like books that have details and facts so I think that would be a good idea.

• FastPass n00b

Old Biff called, he wants his book back...

---------- Post added 11-15-2011 at 06:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ju-osh View Post
    I would like to hear some more about Kevin's opinion on this ride as well. Perhaps a review column?

• MiceAge Columnist

Here are my longer thoughts about Ariel's Undersea Adventure, composed on the fly and without looking at other micechat opinions. So it could very well be that I'm in a minority here, but what the heck, here are my thoughts:

1. The ride system "feels" like Nemo at Epcot. There's a jerkiness but also an honesty to the Gurr-era omnimovers. The Nemo ride and Ariel feel smoother, but also almost too smooth. Slick. Manufactured. It almost lacks charm in its smoothness. And yet for the smoothness, the movement itself has a kind of rumble feeling to it; something you detect in your buttocks rather than your head. The combination never quite feels like an Omnimover to me. Possibly this is just nostalgia. I'm sure teenagers with no idea what the Mighty Microscope is just won't notice or care.

2. The aural transitions are very effective. You hear only what you're supposed to hear, and when you are supposed to. We entered creep mode at one point right after Ursula, and it didn't damage the auditory wipe.

3. The animatronics reminded me more of Sindbad at Tokyo DisneySea than the Haunted Mansion. In other words, much better than playwood Fantasyland, better than minimal rounded figurines (like Peter Pan), better than dolls (small world), but not as good as fully articulated human-sized figures in Pirates and Mansion. Sarcos or A100 these were not. If they had compliance, I didn't notice.

4. The ride was longer than I expected.

5. DCA needs dark rides and it needs people-eaters (this ride is both), so it's hard to hate on it too much.

6. The storyline is uninspired. I did like that Scuttle told the story; that was an original twist. But typing this now, ten days later, I can't even reconstruct in my memory what all the show scenes were. They must not have been that memorable. I'd have to call this a competent yet still "color by number" exercise in creating a ride that just charts the famous scenes of a movie. The Imagineers didn't "phone in" their performances, but neither did they break new ground or cause a 'wow' moment for me.

This was all based on a single ride through, so I apologize if the ideas captured here seem crude (or are even just plain wrong). I also didn't spend a lot of time chewing over possible answers; I just started typing, so this is pretty stream of consciousness.

---------- Post added 11-16-2011 at 12:39 AM ----------

Also:

Nemo and Ariel are in brighter lighting than Mansion or ATIS. I just realized that darkness is a key component of a Gurr-era omnimover; it feels like YOUR ride at that time. With nemo and Ariel, you feel like part of a very visible chain.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

I think I might have found something to add to my Christmas list!