• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

11/17: Pressing Matters

Cool Things, Fun Events... Discuss Sue's latest finds here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Pressing Matters - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 11/17: Pressing Matters

Regarding Magic Kingdom's Christmas tree, it usually doesn't go up in Town Square until after taping of the Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade special from what I understand from friends who live down there. Sometimes they put it up kind of between the Castle and Tomorrowland first, then move it to Town Square after the filming. I've been to both Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and my experience was the Halloween party had more to offer than the Christmas party did. It's a shame Magic Kingdom doesn't match Disneyland where Christmas is concerned. And, Epcot's holiday appeal diminished when they did away with the beautiful Lights of Winter. What I found to be really wonderful when I visited during Christmastime was the decor in the Resort hotels. I wonder if their reasoning for not doing as much in the Magic Kingdom is that they have four parks, plus all of the hotels to decorate? I did enjoy WDW at Christmastime, though, and would like to go back again during that time sometime.

Sue I think you got there too early in the season and things weren't in full swing. The tree usually arrives in town after the taping of the Christmas Day show. Cindy's Castle is all about the Lights at night, which is the MOST BREATH TAKEN THING EVER! I can't believe you didn't mention this in your review, very short sighted of you.
    I think size comes into play. DL is a tiny park compared to the vast expanse of MK,of course DL will appear more decorated then MK.
    Did you see any of the other 4 parks? DHS has great decorations including the Osborne Family Light show which is mind blowing. Epcot always put on a great show for Christmas,especially in World Showcase. But again, it gets better as the season progresses.
    I love both parks on each coast and get upset when people try to slam one or the other.I would expect more from a regular Mice Age writer. My love for DISNEY never diminishes on either coast.
    WDW is my childhood park so it will always will be 1st in my book just due to my many childhood memories there.
    I will be in LA in Dec so I loo forward to seeing DL in it's holiday splendor.

Magical Blessing to all this Holiday Season

Cindy's Castle is all about the Lights at night, which is the MOST BREATH TAKEN THING EVER! I can't believe you didn't mention this in your review, very short sighted of you.
    Except she did mention it.

So I was taken aback walking on to the Magic Kingdom’s Main Street and seeing Cinderella Castle looking rather plain and unadorned, no wreaths, no garlands, no snow, no evidence of Christmas at all. Christmas didn’t show up till dark when the castle’s lights came on. It was very pretty then but it didn’t take my breath away. To me, it seemed kind of corporate pretty, like the castle was only doing the minimum required to get by. Pretty but with no heart.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Minion

I loved getting to see the Country Bear Jamboree once again (but didn’t understand why the Magic Kingdom couldn’t be bothered to switch it out to the Christmas version)
    What I've always heard (don;t know if it's true) is that since WDW's tourist-to-AP-regular ratio is higher than DLR's, they're less into holiday changes to attractions.