Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

12/6: Turtle Swoop

Kevin gives you a peek inside the Paris Crush Coaster. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Turtle Swoop - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Rock The World

Re: 12/6: Turtle Swoop

Thanks for another great column, Al. It's such a relief to finally see the Parisian resort getting some love on these pages. It's too often overlooked by Disney fandom (and, some would argue, by the Walt Disney Company itself). I can't wait to read your thoughts on the resort and especially the Walt Disney Studios Park. Those of us over here in Europe have spent the past ten years listening to American fans complain about the state of DCA and we always shake our heads in confusion - if you want to see a park done wrong, head to Paris!

But I digress. Crush's Coaster is a great little ride and, while I wouldn't call it an E-ticket, it's a very solid D-ticket and a great addition to the park.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

I also enjoy Crush's Coaster a lot. It's a nice little ride and I do understand why the queues are so long. I'm glad there are other Disney fans who enjoy that ride as well.

Many will disagree with me, but in my opinion WDSP got a lot better in recent years. I know the park still lacks theming, but it has some great attractions, like Crush, TOT, RNRC or Cinemagique, to offer. The park faces a major problem, that the most beautiful Disneyland Park is just next door and so the park is always be compared with its wonderful big brother. Maybe one day ED SCA can afford to bring the park up to Disney standards.

I can't wait to hear what a Disney expert like Kevin Yee thinks about the whole Disneyland Resort Paris.

• Rock The World

I couldn't agree more, Dagobert and please don't misunderstand me - I worked as a CastMember in the Studios Park when it first opened in 2002, so it'll always have a place in my heart, and it does have some really great attractions. The placemaking of the last few years - although limited - has made a real difference and the park is gradually creeping up to the Disney standard.

But the park as a whole doesn't tell a story, and that's crucial - the attractions aren't set in any real context, they're just lumped side by side with little in the way of theme or atmosphere in the spaces in between them. There's no sense of escape or adventure here. The park does have a huge amount of potential and I have it on fairly good authority that a master plan has been drawn up for future expansion (three large new themed areas around a central lake), but it'll take a serious investment of time, imagination and money to kickstart the park into high gear. They did it for DCA and Hong Kong, so hopefully they'll do it for Paris as well.

Let's keep our fingers crossed, eh?

But does a Studios park really have to tell a story? In my opinion WDSP should be a combination of showing people how movies and TV shows and of riding the movies.

I aso think that Toon Studios should be transformed into a Pixar Studios area like at DHS and all Pixar based attractions should be located there. Until now most rides there are based on Pixar movies and so it would be a good opportunity to build a Pixar Studios area like at DHS.

does this ride have the "G" force feeling, you know the one im talking about.

• Minion

Heck, forget DHS and put it in Animal Kingdom.

Hi Kevin, another great article & I couldn't agree more with Soundtracker & Dagobert - as a Brit making frequent visits to both American parks & to a lesser degree Disneyland Paris, the Studios Park in France almost makes DCA look like Disneyland.

Despite hearing all the negative press about DCA I still enjoyed my first visit 6 or 7 years ago & have enjoyed most of my visits since but my heart positively broke the first time I "explored" the second gate at Paris & my opinion never changed with each visit. Notwithstanding this, I haven't visited the Park for a few years & have also heard that the Tower of Terror & Crush's Coaster have noticably improved things so like most other European Disney & Theme Park fans I'm desperate to hear new & improved projects for the Studios.

• Workin to live,lovin life

I would love for Crush's Coaster to show up in DCA, even replacing Goofy's Barnstormer and using more real estate to fit it in the park.

DCA was a mess when it started, but it has gotten much much better throughout the years. A few months back in October? I'd be a little irked to pay full price to visit that park as DCA had many attractions under refurbishment/ were closed... not to mention the massive construction going on.

• Registered Member

The Crush Coaster sounds fantastic. I wish I could go to Paris right now and ride it!
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

This attraction, using this type of technology, would work really well at any of the second, third or fourth theme parks (DCA, WDSP, DHS, AK and HKDL to some extent.) I can't wait to read what Kevin has to say about DLPR as a whole.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Cannot believe they scheduled a ride closure on my trip to DLP without warning on the website nor at the park gates. Wouldn't have wasted 30 euros on the two park ticket if I had known. Instead, I just walked around the park for 30 minutes and left disappointed, unwilling to spend anymore time at such a sub-standard park with a masterpiece, DLP, next door.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Glad that I swooped in and caught this! This is the best overall look that I've had of Crush's Coaster. The environment and cars are designed like a dream. Am pleased as peaches that you included a view of the madmouse track structure. Yes-sir-Yee, this is one cool crushin' report.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Rock The World

It's heartening to see so much love for this coaster on these boards. Interestingly, the interior of the main roller coaster show building (the EAC section of the ride) was originally going to feature glowing coral reefs, large fronds of kelp (to hide the roof support columns) and other blacklight effects. Sadly, the budget was pared back prior to construction and they never appeared. It's still a great experience though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    But does a Studios park really have to tell a story? In my opinion WDSP should be a combination of showing people how movies and TV shows and of riding the movies.
    I do think the environment of a Disney park should always transport you into some sort of broad story set within a stylised fantasy environment. The conceit of a real working movie studio is fine but, instead of the half-hearted realism the Imagineers pursued with their original concept, they should push into a more heavily stylised, larger than life depiction. The park should be a caricature of a movie studio - full of movement and contrast and wacky characters. The Imagineers are getting there by degrees, and I'm hopeful for the future.

It's heartening to see so much love for this coaster on these boards.
    It is indeed. Just because an attraction is built in Paris, doesn't mean per se that it is a cheap addition to the parks. Okay TSPL is, but for me Crush is a quality ride. Sometimes people just bash new things, just because it was built in Paris and so it can't be good due to the bad financial situation of the company.

WDI should try to copy the Hollywood that never was theme to Paris. That gives them the oppurtunity to create the Sunset Blvd. and Hollywood Blvd. It also allows them to show how a working studio works and to ride the movies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast