Thread: 12/8: D23?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

12/8: D23?

Sue details D23's 2012 schedule of events. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: D23? - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 12/8: D23?

All those events sound REALLY good, but they are REALLY, REALLY expensive. Even the studio tour is $50 a person!! I've tried to teach my kids about the history of the Walt Disney Company and about the man Walt Disney, but I can't afford $200 for me and my 3 kids to go to the studio tours (or even $100 for me and my oldest to go).

Blog Entries

Sounds like a magical day!

My favorite part of the D23 Studio Tour was taking pictures with and holding the Oscar!

Quote Originally Posted by jedited View Post
    All those events sound REALLY good, but they are REALLY, REALLY expensive. Even the studio tour is $50 a person!! I've tried to teach my kids about the history of the Walt Disney Company and about the man Walt Disney, but I can't afford $200 for me and my 3 kids to go to the studio tours (or even $100 for me and my oldest to go).
    But you could afford to take the family to Disneyland and pay $15 for parking and $80 for each adult? Or $149 each for annual passes? And you probably buy food and merchandise when you're there?

I'm not trying to diminish your concerns, honestly. I'm not. I think everyone here knows that it's a hard time to part with money, which isn't easy to come by in the first place. But $50 for three hours at the Studios and the Archives, which are normally closed to the public, for a once in a lifetime opportunity, that doesn't seem out of whack. They have to pay studio operations and salaries and the gifts the attendees get, etc etc. The basic Warner Bros. studio tour, which any Tom, Dick or Harry can go to, is $49, and that's as a group led by a 25 year old tour guide, not a real insider. The Paramount Studio tour, also done every day for anyone, is $45. The $50 for D23's intimate tour led by actual Disney subject-matter experts, archivists, etc., and held four times a year seems like a much better deal, frankly.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    But you could afford to take the family to Disneyland and pay $15 for parking and $80 for each adult? Or $149 each for annual passes? And you probably buy food and merchandise when you're there?

I'm not trying to diminish your concerns, honestly. I'm not. I think everyone here knows that it's a hard time to part with money, which isn't easy to come by in the first place. But $50 for three hours at the Studios and the Archives, which are normally closed to the public, for a once in a lifetime opportunity, that doesn't seem out of whack. They have to pay studio operations and salaries and the gifts the attendees get, etc etc. The basic Warner Bros. studio tour, which any Tom, Dick or Harry can go to, is $49, and that's as a group led by a 25 year old tour guide, not a real insider. The Paramount Studio tour, also done every day for anyone, is $45. The $50 for D23's intimate tour led by actual Disney subject-matter experts, archivists, etc., and held four times a year seems like a much better deal, frankly.
    Exactly how I feel! $50 for D23's Studio tour is a bargain, worth every penny — and it's a fantastic tour.

Lightbulb Re: 12/8: D23?

Does anyone have anymore info on that Birdcage in the post?

We've got an identical one, from my Grandma, that she'd had since the 1950's.

After reading this post last night I ask my mom about our Birdcage, and she said my Grandma actually BOUGHT IT AT DISNEYLAND in the 1950's!

Do you think Walt had some of them imported to sell in the park, since he liked it so much?

- Robert C.

P.S. My mom still has the Birdcage, and it works! The Birds chirps a sing while the beak and neck move. It always fascinated me as a kid.

Here's the photo from the post, if you'd like I can take a picture on ours too.
    Name:  disney_birdcage.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  48.2 KB