Thread: 1/10: WorldView

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

1/10: WorldView

Kevin shares news, gossip and rumors from DisneyWorld. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: WorldView - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 1/10: WorldView

Loved this week's longer slideshow, Kevin.

Oh, and thanks for the mention in your article. We really appreciate it!

The vTourGuides.com Team

• Banned User

These Tom Sawyer Island rumors have been popping up sporadically over the past year. Most of the stuff is in the blue sky phase though. Anybody remember the plans for the new Adventureland?

Anyway, here is what I know:

1. The Liberty Belle would still make its paces around the river after the overhaul. Why? Because the attraction is iconic and because TDO wouldn't want to remove a perfectly good functioning ride.

2. There is a lot of space north of Big Thunder that isn't utilized like in Disneyland (where Critter Country wraps around the river.) The question is how to build a walkway to this area. The obvious problem is that Big Thunder hugs the riverside, however, there are "two" islands which compose Tom Sawyer's Island:

One plan would involve digging an underground entrance so that guests can walk to the upper island and to the area above Big Thunder. This is where the bit about using one of the islands for something comes in.

A second plan, perhaps more obvious and less expensive, would be to reroute the train some and build a walkway on the other side of Big Thunder up to the new area.

3. What ride would be put in there? There have always been blue sky projects involving Pocahontas, but let's face it, this animated film has a lukewarm following and was pretty much overshadowed by films like the Lion King.

There isn't too much that you could put on the island, given that the river won't be going anywhere and that it would be hard to hide a show building. The undeveloped land north of Big Thunder could easily accommodate an E-Ticket attraction.

Would it be a Kali-style river ride? Whatever it is, it will be heavily themed, instead of an off-the rack style ride such as Kali which is pretty forgettable.

The plans to put a new ride in Frontierland in Disneyland are a lot firmer than anything planned for MK, especially given that the new FLE has yet to open . . . While everybody figured that the new Fantasyland would greatly increase park capacity, taking out one Snow White Ride, and replacing it with another Snow White themed ride has been a step forward and a step backwards in some respects. Don't expect TDO to make the same mistake twice.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Paintbrushes
    I've never even heard of this promotion before. Hopefully they don't go get rid of it. It's a pretty clever concept.

Rumor: Tom Sawyer Island Replacement
    No. No. Good god, No! Losing this whole area for a Kali River Rapids copycat would be a total slap in the face. This is such a relaxing enjoyable attraction. And Tom Sawyer Island is a great escape from the noise in other parts of the park.

Mermaids
    If done right, it could be a creepy good addition to the ride.

Romance
    Agreed anything to spice up the parks year round could help Magic Kingdom alot.

Theater of the Stars
    Any change to the Batb Stage Show is appreciated right now. I mean once you see the Broadway stage show, the DHS show is considered a bit of a cheap joke.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Paintbrushes
    I've never even heard of this promotion before. Hopefully they don't go get rid of it. It's a pretty clever concept.

Rumor: Tom Sawyer Island Replacement
    No. No. Good god, No! Losing this whole area for a Kali River Rapids copycat would be a total slap in the face. This is such a relaxing enjoyable attraction. And Tom Sawyer Island is a great escape from the noise in other parts of the park.

Mermaids
    If done right, it could be a creepy good addition to the ride.

Romance
    Agreed anything to spice up the parks year round could help Magic Kingdom alot.

Theater of the Stars
    Any change to the Batb Stage Show is appreciated right now. I mean once you see the Broadway stage show, the DHS show is considered a bit of a cheap joke.
    Paintbushes: only recently learn of this, hope it comes back.

TSI replacement.... AGREED!!! And I would be heart broken if they moored the Liberty Belle Sad day if that comes.

Mermaids: Agreed

Romance: Agreed and more please! Not Romance persay but seasonal *cough*haunted*cough*mansion*cough*holiday*cough.. . sorry, got something in my throat.... more Seasonal offerings please.

TotS: Agreed and PLEASE retire BatB already!

Hi Kevin,
    Both the interactive elements in the temple and the margarita stand have been in Animal Kingdom since at least Sept of 2011. I have pics of both from my visit then. I enjoy your review. Just keeping it accurate.

• MiceAge Columnist

"New", in the context of the slideshows, always means "new to me." Some parks I visit weekly (Epcot, MK usually) but DAK is one that I visit only every few months. Should have said that out loud this time (I usually do).
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Hmmm, I hope that filing for the DHS's version of BATB has the theater enclosed, because the theater get's really sweltering and the moving fans don't really help at all.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    3. What ride would be put in there? There have always been blue sky projects involving Pocahontas, but let's face it, this animated film has a lukewarm following and was pretty much overshadowed by films like the Lion King.
    Sorry, but I don't think Pocahontas has a "lukewarm" following at all.