Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• See Ya Real Soon!

Re: 1/17: Tune-Ups & Timings

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    and the Monorail tracks still lay dormant...
    I assume you mean the people mover track. Because the Monorail track is used on a daily basis.

•   

Send the Miners 49'ers over to Big Thunder Ranch to lighten the air while eating the BBQ, like Cowboy Cookout in Paris Dsineyland. Grizzly Rapids was more about logging anyway. Some former WDI Graduates now work for Starbuck's Corporate in Seattle. Maybe they can help infuse the Mouse with Java for a smooth vente White Mocka. Esmeralda just got a message from Sam McKim and he is all excited about the map homage to him. On the new Matterhorn bob sleds, does one size fit all?? Or are they like the glass slipper. Any news on Carnation Plaza Gardens? Hope it doesn't have a Fairy tell ending. PD
    Last edited by DisWedWay; 01-17-2012 at 11:56 PM.

• A Weather Eye Open

I think the Matterhorn bobsleds will be well liked by the people who refused to lap sit. And even though I am 6 feet tall with both long legs and a long torso ( the over the shoulder restraint on Screamin' is painful because my torso is so tall), I can ride space mountain fairly comfortably and it is expected the sleds will be similar in size. I will personally think they are an upgrade and not a down grade IF AND ONLY IF the seat is well padded, similar to Indiana Jones. Here's hoping for no more bruised tail ones on one of my favorite rides! Also wondering how the new restraints will affect the height requirement for the kiddos.

Sad to hear about the Miner 49ers. I think they still fit the theme of the area, and enjoyed their style.

As far as training goes, I'm also wanting to hear more on this. I previously worked retail in a now shuttered department store and felt I had almost no training, or very poor training. But I'd like to hear details about what is wrong with Disney training, like specifics, and what standard Al or others are using to measure it, how One Disney affects training, and so on. I don't interact with CMs every time I'm in the parks because I am already an experienced and knowledgeable AP holder, but when I do I would say the majority of the time the CM is good at their job and friendly with me, so I would assume from this that they were well-trained. I can't imagine the DLR having training even close to as bad as what I received at Mervyn's back in the day, and what some of my friends who work retail have reported. A watchdog style article on this from Al would be very informative rather than just a vague but harsh sentence here and there. I want details!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• All-American

Some thoughts on today's update:

Hard to believe Island Charters, and especially Compass Books, are closing up shop. Those two establishments seem to have become almost permanent pillars of Downtown Disney. That said, Earl of Sandwich and Starbucks would both be great replacements. Earl of Sandwich is one of the best counter service restaurants at WDW, and a Starbucks would be great to have too. I wonder which location is more logical for the Starbucks - on the Esplanade to serve early morning park guests, or the monorail side to serve the hotels? Tough call.

Stupid of Ridemakerz to move out of Carsland; it sounds like it would have been a great fit and a big hit with the land's younger guests. I bet they'll be seriously regretting this a year from now.

As for Mermaid, It's nice to see that Lasseter cares about attractions that aren't related to a property he worked on. And the fact they're bringing in a copy of the moving hair is pretty amazing; it sounds like that was a pretty advanced animatronic. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised the Imagineers ever thought the twirly hair was a good idea. It was featured in the movie for all of a second, and only made sense in context because the fish were swimming around it. It wasn't exactly the most memorable moment of the film, either. To make the twirly-hair static but remove the context of the fish just kind of made the whole thing make no sense, to be honest.

Glad to hear that the street parties are sticking around, but moving out of Hollywood Blvd. Despite the negative pre-reviews of the concept here on MiceChat, I still think the party may just be a hit, especially with all the summer crowds seeing the resort for the first time and who had never seen one of the previous two parties.

Good for George thinking "holistically" about the hub design. It's nice to here that they're considering how the bag checks can be more appropriately incorporated into the hub, since they're not likely to go away anytime in the DLR's future. That said, I still hope we get that redesigned hub sooner than later.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

STARBUCKS!!! The mochas in Disneyland have sucked for years. Blech. Looking forward to loading up on QUALITY coffee beverages before heading into the park. I might still get my baked goods at Jolly Holiday, but the coffee is going to be coming from Starbucks. I think the lines for the shop will be overwhelming, but judging from how Starbucks handles the crowd at the Disneyland Paris DTD, I think the wait will be average. When we were there last Summer, I was shocked at how fast they were moving by taking customer orders while they were still in line using handheld PDA devices and really stacking up on the number of employees during critical rush hour times. Can't wait!

• Rock Star Minion

Starbucks is probably going to take both shops. A lot of people on that property at any one time. One Starbucks will not be enough.

Oh, and maybe some no-cast-member kiosks are needed, for people who know exactly what they want.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Being 6' 8" I am EXTREMELY concerned about the bobsleds on Matterhorn, it's hard enough to get on some of my favorite rides as it is (Space Mountain, California Screamin',.... in fact come to think of it most rides at DLR are not tall people friendly). I know I'm only in like 3% of the population but I'm only 21, I'm fine for now I can't imagine trying to do the yoga positions I do now later in life to get on a ride. I used to look forward to the Matterhorn's wide open knee spaces, now I'll just have to look forward to more scraped knees *sigh*. At least none of the rides at DLR were like Deja Vu at Six Flags (I waited in line for two hours just to be told I was too tall -fail-). It's also good to here us So Cal pass holders could get a peek at Carsland and BVS before our summer block out. It looks like summers going to be a good one, I just can't wait to get to DCA when the first off season after the summer comes when the lines are short and the days are still kind of long.

Why oh why does it have to be Charbucks?!

It's offensive that they charge money for that foul, burnt coffee.

Thanks for the update, as always.

Pixar Play floats are all being lowered right now to accomodate the Red Car power lines. They're going to look a wee bit different when the parade returns. Also, the Ratatouille unit has been permanently retired

Mermaid fixes are probably a great idea, but too bad nothing was mentioned about the horrible transition room between Kiss the Girl and the finale. I've been hoping they'd replace the random sea creatures in the finale with Merfolk, as in the movie. They can be static; I don't care!

The biggest surprise to me upon first riding the attraction was that the Kiss the Girl scene was not done in REAL water with REAL fountains. There's still time, guys!
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Pretty much all of this sounds great! Things are looking up!

SO glad Mermaid is getting those tweaks. Sounds like they are determined to get the attraction as close to perfection as possible. All of those points were the few things that bothered me about the ride.

I still am unsure whether or not I'll like Mad T Party. I LOVE elecTRONica and I really, really hope that Flynn's Arcade moves to Tomorrowland and replaces Starcade. It would be such a WASTE for that whole concept to get shelved. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also hoping that Mad T Party will bring in some nice food offerings. Honestly, I found it disappointing that we had to say goodbye to the nice food trucks after Glowfest went away.

• Member since 2005

---------- Post added 01-19-2012 at 05:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    With all these tenants leaving Downtown Disney, a nice Disney mini-golf course would make a fine addition to the area.
    Funny you should suggest that. There was a Disney mini golf course not to far from DTD, where the parking structure is located. I spent many an afternoon playing that course in the 60's. If I remember correctly, there was a driving range next to it as well.
    Last edited by sfcrzer; 01-19-2012 at 05:24 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

Disneyland Hotel Golf at Yesterland

I recall there being one on Katella, unaffiliated with Disneyland. Still looking for some historical info on the old internet....
    .... and my old thinking cap. Maybe where the parking lot behind Paradise Pier is?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I highly doubt that Starbucks is un-willing to have CM's train to use their system since the Starbucks in Targets and Barnes & Noble etc. are NOT ran by Starbucks baristas, but employees of Target etc.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Still skeptical on the Mad T Party concept. I think losing Flynn's Arcade is a mistake on multiple levels.
    They're not going to be "losing" Flynn's Arcade. It's unclear what they'll do to it theme-wise, but currently, the intent is to keep it an arcade. Keep in mind, however, that those arcade games are rented, and given that the maintenance on those machines isn't cheap, the rental cost is quite a penny.

So for now, it looks like it will continue to be an arcade. Whether it will be "Flynn's" or not is anyone's guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    I highly doubt that Starbucks is un-willing to have CM's train to use their system since the Starbucks in Targets and Barnes & Noble etc. are NOT ran by Starbucks baristas, but employees of Target etc.
    Yes, I'm not sure where the OP info comes from, but, being a BOH CM myself, I can tell you it's not consistent with our understanding of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Hard to believe Island Charters, and especially Compass Books, are closing up shop.
    Maybe I'm a lone voice, but I'm honestly surprised that they lasted as long as they did. Island Charters' offerings were pretty overpriced. Even during their going-out-of-business sale, their items weren't exactly priced to move. As for Compass Books, in the 11 years I've been an avid DTD patron, I've visited it 3 times. I'm just guessing, but I suspect the only reason they lasted this long was because of Hotel Guest traffic.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 01-21-2012 at 03:08 PM.

A nice update - even if some of it is a little bit on the "stale" side. The upgrades to the Little Mermaid ride have been out there for months now. Among those in the know even have a name for Ariel hairdo. They call it "The Dole Whip".

Thomas
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast