Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Registered Member

Re: 1/24: WorldView - The Disney Look

It's sad to see the lack of maintenance in the Magic Kingdom. One can only assume that the other parks at WDW are being treated the same way.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

My wife and I have been visiting WDW for 25+ years now---initially by driving down from Michigan with the kids over the years, and for the past five years or so twice a year via plane. We have always stayed at a Disney Resort hotel with the Beach Club our current favorite.

We too, have noticed a decline not only in maintenance/upkeep, but also in the "quality" of the employees. From the friendly, courteous and respectful cast member we have seen a marked change in many of the cast members attitudes and comportment. This is most noticeable in the younger cast members. They will display a flippant, irreverant attitude and manner when speaking to you, or what is worse, when amongst themselves.
    Disney is suffering from a lack of leadership when it allows maintenance to deteriorate or cast members to act in an inappropriate way. Someone needs to be more observant and actually be on scene, watching what is going on in the park, not sitting in an office high above it all.

Kevin: Thank you for saying what many WDW fans have felt. Our family goes to The World 1-3 times annually. This last August (2011) trip was a major disappointment. It was obvious that maintenance was being neglected all over WDW especially at their resorts.

Herc: I could not have said it better. Our stay at OKW was disappointing. Like you, we are considering DL instead of WDW this year. Perhaps our opinion and money will be appreciated at that park.

Blowfishes:
    I appreciate your opposing opinion. You bring up a great point regarding Kevin reflecting on "Disney Fantasy" rather than reality. I think the problem with people that go every year and more than once that year, they have the opportunity to notice more things than others that go only once every 3 - 5 years.
    I do not think it is Disney Fantasy when there are things you can notice both in your videos and photos that you bring home that indicate that maintenance is falling off, thermostats are being raised, and cast members are a little less "Disney".

Old Key West looks like something out of Animal Kingdom with the vegetation being so overgrown. Furthermore, there were a significant number of lights that were out.

Then when my daughter and I went to the candy store to get candy by the time we walked through all the "air conditioned" stores to sit down in the bakery area, my chocolate was completely melted. For 10 or more years, we have gone down to WDW at this time and this was not the hottest it has been outside, but it was the hottest inside. At this point you might counter with the air conditioner was broken. OK, I can accept that except the next day we were in EPCOT and our favorite noon event was to rest in Spaceship Earth. My family would watch everything and I would chill out (literally) and nap. It was so warm this time, there was no chilling out. Yes, another "broken" air conditioner? I think a more plausible conclusion here is that WDW is cutting cost on their maintenance as Mr. Yee stated and they are cutting cost by raising their AC thermostats. This made riding the monorail impossible during the day too.

Regards
    Rich
    Last edited by WallyRich; 01-28-2012 at 10:14 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    ?? It was wired when it in went in. The problem I was referring to was its unreliability where major sections would repeatedly fail. It wasn't because the LEDs were 'burnt out' it was due to the wiring and control systems having environmental issues. That was my point, just because the light is out, doesn't mean the only reason is the light itself. The light still relies on it's fixture and wiring as well.
    Ok, I thought you were talking about the huge amount of time it took for the initial install, that's when the major wiring was done and was a major headache.

Still . . . the issues with the Ferris Wheel and rain was due to the fact that you've got hundreds of computer controlled lights on a huge rotating wheel and issues with transferring power across rotating surfaces. 99% of time, if the lighting fixutre is in good condition, that isn't the problem. (You can see how rain would be an issue here).

The Tea Cups problem is much simpler as it was a simple retrofit. I am 99% certain the fixtures are OK as it is pretty easy to tell if a plastic or ceramic type fixture is not broken (electrical engineers have been dealing with rain for centuries), and I am 99% sure that it wasn't the "wiring", ergo, it is likely a bulb problem (85% chance), or perhaps issues with the power source (much less likely).

Quote Originally Posted by WallyRich View Post
    Then when my daughter and I went to the candy store to get candy by the time we walked through all the "air conditioned" stores to sit down in the bakery area, my chocolate was completely melted. For 10 or more years, we have gone down to WDW at this time and this was not the hottest it has been outside, but it was the hottest inside. At this point you might counter with the air conditioner was broken. OK, I can accept that except the next day we were in EPCOT and our favorite noon event was to rest in Spaceship Earth. My family would watch everything and I would chill out (literally) and nap. It was so warm this time, there was no chilling out. Yes, another "broken" air conditioner? I think a more plausible conclusion here is that WDW is cutting cost on their maintenance as Mr. Yee stated and they are cutting cost by raising their AC thermostats. This made riding the monorail impossible during the day too.
    OK I'm sorry but WHAT?! When I went in July I experienced nothing like this. Seriously what did you do? Every time I enter a building at WDW I get blasted with cold air from the air conditioning. Yes WDW has lowered their standards but I seriously doubt there's a single broken air conditioner in WDW. Maybe you took too long to sit down? Because yes ice cream will melt at room temperature (ruffly 20 degrees Celsius) if you don't eat it quickly enough.

I'm a bit late to this thread--I was busy vacationing at WDW. I was traveling with friends who hadn't been there in twenty years and they definitely noticed the decline in maintenance, so it's not just something we regulars notice.

It's also worth noting that the Japanese parks have much higher standards. I remember watching from my room at the Mira Costa one morning as a cast member towel dried the previous night's dew from the benches and another in hip waders walked the shallows of the lagoon to pick up any litter that might have fallen in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123