Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Re: 1/31: In the Cards

Well, I actually reminded more of the VMK quests in the Magic Kingdom than Kim Possible (I haven't done KP yet) but the concept of collecting cards sounds similar to the VMK Tours and quests in DL and MK, albeit updated. I think if SotMK was going to be replicated in either DL or DCA, I would check and make sure the characters are wearing period clothing, which I noticed in the few screen shots with Merlin wearing a blue dapper suit and bowler hat on Main Street and Hades wearing a Company Detective suit and bowler hat as well.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    Biggest question: when they redid the firehouse, did they finally add a/c? It was miserably hot in there when it was a shop.
    Hm. Didn't notice, but I don't think so. It was fairly warm (for January) and I didn't feel anything. I'll be surprised if they did. The visitors and in and out of there quickly.

---------- Post added 01-31-2012 at 07:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Why are you assuming the cards will continue to be free once the game exits the test phase?
    A few online bloggers asked the designers this, and they said it would still be free.

---------- Post added 01-31-2012 at 07:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    When this game goes "live", how do you think guest reaction would be to it? Would it be really popular and cause stations to be over-crowded? How do they plan on addressing this issue?
    Overcrowding was ALREADY an issue on the test days. I think this will be the biggest challenge (and will make a lot of folks on vacation just say "forget it" -- making it even more of a locals/regulars thing).
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

The cards and especially the maps look really neat, it seems they put a lot of thought into that. However, I liked the physical effects and how most of them were cleverly hidden in existing decoration better at Kim Possible. A combination of both systems would have been nice, maybe expanding it to the other parks and perhaps even to the resorts.

Does the system keep track of you? Is there something on / in the key card which makes it unique? For examle, is there an RFID chip embedded in the key card? If not, I would think you could walk up to any station you like and it wouldn't make a difference.

• MiceAge Columnist

Yes, there's an RFID chip in the key card (you can feel the slight bump)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Minion

I have mixed feelings, as usual. I like that the portals are "hidden" so you won't notice them unless someone's using them. But I can see crowding/traffic becoming a real problem even for people not playing the game. I don't understand the desire to play video games when there are so many other fun things to do, but I guess I really don't really need to; chacun à sa gout. I can picture the numbers of shrieking, wailing children increasing exponentially because it's something you have to wait for and only one person can use one station at a time. And I do get bothered sometimes by the rise of screen-based entertainment in the parks - aren't we buried in screens enough in real life?

I guess my main soursce of disappointment is the usual one - that they're sinking so much money into something that seems so unnecessary (were people seriously getting bored in the MK?) when so many areas of the parks are languishing for want of budget.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post

I guess my main soursce of disappointment is the usual one - that they're sinking so much money into something that seems so unnecessary (were people seriously getting bored in the MK?) when so many areas of the parks are languishing for want of budget.

A lot of this game seems to stem from a desire to combat Harry Potter in different way: by keeping people occupied on Disney World property longer.

I can't help but think that "Sorcerers" is a direct reaction to "wizards" and whatever time guests aren't spending elsewhere, that to WDW management is money well spent. Even though there's no way of really finding out if they're spending more time on property.

I also think it might be a way to get people OFF the attractions to improve the lines. But... I somehow doubt this will work for very long.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

It's an extension of what they are already doing on the ships.

Think about the new castle projections. Both these systems represent great potential for constant addition of new material without large capital investment.

If you want to keep repeat visitors happy... fresh content is how you do it. Both the castle show and this play to that.

I'm not worried about the noise.. I'm worried about crowds and queuing. Since the game isn't timed right now, it would be difficult for them to manage how many people are playing the game at any time except to only issue so many players a day.

Managing demand is what hasn't been exposed yet and that's the part that is challenging on the scale of MK I think.

In the ships you have a captive audience.. it can get a little conjested at times, but not so much. The worst part is not having the scene be 'new' to you when its your turn because you have to watch everyone else do it first.

Great Wolf Lodge's wizard game has to address the same challenges. GWL's though is more like a scavenger hunt with clues and having to find the right one, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceAge Columnist

This is just me spitballing, but here are some ways they could influence overcrowding:

1. stop offering to let players play a second land as they finish the first one
    2. disallow 'returning' cards (or from previous days), which is not entirely the same as #1 above
    3. make the game shorter on heavy-crowd days (it's dynamically generated and can be controlled, such as if a station is 'broken' they can essentially route around it)
    4. temporarily stop issuing new cards and keycards

Or maybe before they 'disallow' second-land attempts, maybe they enforce a kind of fastpass like return time?
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Hmmm.. maybe a start time would help, but where you go after the first station... is it random? Can you choose your next portal?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Hmmm.. maybe a start time would help, but where you go after the first station... is it random? Can you choose your next portal?
    And it doesn't really help if you don't have a time limit. The best they can do is model behavior and rate limit the influx of new players.. hoping the existing players don't all chose the same time to start playing again. It's basically the same problem as FP when you don't enforce return times
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    This is just me spitballing, but here are some ways they could influence overcrowding:

1. stop offering to let players play a second land as they finish the first one
    2. disallow 'returning' cards (or from previous days), which is not entirely the same as #1 above
    3. make the game shorter on heavy-crowd days (it's dynamically generated and can be controlled, such as if a station is 'broken' they can essentially route around it)
    4. temporarily stop issuing new cards and keycards

Or maybe before they 'disallow' second-land attempts, maybe they enforce a kind of fastpass like return time?
    #1 and 2 will not stop people from waiting in line, which has its own congestion issues. The way to alleviate it is more playing stations. These things were never meant to be enjoyed by most park goers so its success is really its failure. People will give up trying. I see it as a distraction. I don't know if Disney intends to keep it up in the long haul. I think they should start over again. It doesn't sound fun.

Theoretically, thanks to the RFID chip they could monitor if people stay longer in the parks. Not saying they do, but the potential for this is obviously there, as there have been rumors before to introduce an RFID chip into the admission passes and have them personalized, so a character in an attraction knows your name for example...

As for a time limit to play, currently the game is still in soft opening or testing mode, so that still could be implemented later. If I remember correctly, when Kim Possible was new, you could only do one mission and at the end of it it just directed you to the return location for the phone. Now it asks if you want to play another round and you even get to choose in which land to play next.

There would even be the possibility of crowd controlling, like for example if the system senses lots of player (via RFID chip) at one station, it can direct players to other not so congested stations.

Is there a site that has photos of the cards that can be downloaded onto a smartphone?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12