Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

2/14: The Rizzo Factor

Kevin wonders if Rizzo the Rat is just channeling Team Disney Orlando. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: The Rizzo Factor - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Banned User

Re: 2/14: The Rizzo Factor

I wonder why they don't put in some curtains for a semi-private booth. The sound is slightly muffled and the video is unseen by those in line. I just find the who concept to be rather boring. I wouldn't do it. It is really just another way for Disney to try to milk the system rather than fix the park's many problems.

Kevin there are two sides to the points you are making regarding the “Rizzo Factor”:

First, you are looking at the situation from someone who has the ability to go to WDW like other people go to Target (just like my family does going to Disneyland frequently). Just as I would, you notice all the faults (and to be fair, all the pluses).

But now let’s reverse things. The last time we went to WDW was in summer of 2005 (with my step-daughter, but way before my now 5-year was around). We saw Everest being built and it would certainly be high on my list of “must-do” attractions. So how would I take it if I went to DAK and had the CM’s tell me – “Yes the ride is working perfectly, but be closed it because the Yeti isn’t moving.” – Gee thanks, so maybe in another 7 years when I make it back I’ll finally get to ride it!

Yes, I get it because I see all the faults at Disneyland (not many anymore) and have the same thoughts. But if Pirates is closed for a few months due to maintenance issues, no big deal for us! But not so for that family visiting from Kansas every 5 years. And this “once-every-several-years” visitor at WDW is even more so than Disneyland.

Sorcerers seems like a good way to keep people off the attractions and out of the queues. Thanks Disney!

As a lifelong fan WDW, and one that remembers it from it's beginning (when I lived in Miami, FL) when everything was maintained in a pristine manner, I'm irritated by the ongoing lack of timely maintenance! I visit with my family less frequently now (We live in Vermont - 4 visits since 2003) but still absolutely love it there and can't wait to return. It is very discouraging, however, that management in Orlando would continue to let upkeep slide. I realize that it is very expensive to maintain these theme parks, but it's what sets Disney apart from the rest. It's why we pay top dollar to go there and what keeps us coming back. ALL that being said, I have a question - What is the best way to send concerns to TDO management that can actually lead to results? Should concerns be sent to other levels of the Disney company? Is it a waste of time sending concerns or can they produce results? Something has to be done! This level of disrepair has to stop!

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfan71 View Post
    As a lifelong fan WDW, and one that remembers it from it's beginning (when I lived in Miami, FL) when everything was maintained in a pristine manner, I'm irritated by the ongoing lack of timely maintenance! I visit with my family less frequently now (We live in Vermont - 4 visits since 2003) but still absolutely love it there and can't wait to return. It is very discouraging, however, that management in Orlando would continue to let upkeep slide. I realize that it is very expensive to maintain these theme parks, but it's what sets Disney apart from the rest. It's why we pay top dollar to go there and what keeps us coming back. ALL that being said, I have a question - What is the best way to send concerns to TDO management that can actually lead to results? Should concerns be sent to other levels of the Disney company? Is it a waste of time sending concerns or can they produce results? Something has to be done! This level of disrepair has to stop!
    Good post! I went to WDW once every summer it opened in Oct. of '71 (starting in the summer of '72) in the 1970s and early 80s. It seemed to be pristine and practically perfect. Now it reflects the slight decline in America. Overpaid executives at the top and employees treated like minions. It could comeback though. I hope they don't think it's just going to happen in 2021 for the 50th anniversary.

Kevin, thank you for another excellent column!
    You're on a roll!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 02-14-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo

Great Post! Just as along as you differentiate between ride maintenance and show maintenance. Ride maintenance is great but show maintenance is sorely lacking, but that is also a an Operations Management problem.

Upper Management is concerned about ride numbers, how many guests in a hour. That is the most important number right now, doesn't matter what the show looks like as long as we can get guests on and off a ride.

If Operations called an attraction 101 because of a bad show then maintenance would put more resources into fixing them. But since Operations are ONLY looking at hourly ridership numbers (Not Show Quality) they never want to take down a ride to fix problems.

But now let’s reverse things. The last time we went to WDW was in summer of 2005 (with my step-daughter, but way before my now 5-year was around). We saw Everest being built and it would certainly be high on my list of “must-do” attractions. So how would I take it if I went to DAK and had the CM’s tell me – “Yes the ride is working perfectly, but be closed it because the Yeti isn’t moving.” – Gee thanks, so maybe in another 7 years when I make it back I’ll finally get to ride it!
    But if you knew when you were planning your once every 5-7 year trip to WDW and discovered EE was going to be down for a refurb/repair, why wouldn't you delay your vacation for it? The only reason they'll suddenely close an attraction not already slated for a refurb is for a safety issue.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Pilot EdForceOne

The concern from me is how easily it will be to turn this into something evil and the crowding.

Its all too easy for Disney to simply pump out more users.. rather than work harder to make a system that gets the most users with the least amount of crowding.

And the possibility to have sold cards is another temptation that Disney probably can't resist..

And who else is thinking this game is serving as a test platform to RFID ticket media and experimenting how they can test the type of data they collect from usage?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Workin to live,lovin life

The Rizzo Factor. I love that term! Very appropriate. I just feel sad about what it means when it's applied to something at Disney!

If Disney starts drastically letting the show go @ DLR, I may not renew my pass for once!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Kevin and I agree and disagree on many things. On a conceptual basis I agree with the Declining By Degrees concept. But from the practical viewpoint of a somewhat frequent visitor, I'm not so much concerned with a lot of the minutia that drives Kevin crazy. So while I can see the problem with a drape being stretched over the rocks on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, I continue to enjoy every ride on that train. I'm still a bit mixed on the whole yeti thing. Of course I'd like to see him fixed. And I agree that Walt probably would have shut the whole attraction down, even if it took many months to get it right. But I still enjoy the ride, and the yeti is a very small part of that ride experience for me.

That said, I'm really concerned about the apparent decision to discontinue with the revealing drapes in several attractions. Yeah, it's the kind of thing that a newbie would never miss if he never knew it was there. But I'd think the vast majority of WDW visitors have been there at least once before. And the loss of any show element really does diminish the impact of the show - that is, if you know that a show element was once there and now isn't. Not fixing things like revealing drapes is incredibly short-sighted on the part of WDW's management team.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Or how do we know the drapes aren't returning? Kevin only made an observation - I don't recall Kevin confirming this with anyone, or even writing that he asked.

How foolish would we feel to be chastising Disney for the new projections in Philharmagic if you were to find out this was an effort to minimize the impact to the show while other things maybe happening, and to find the drapes returning later?

UoE was different - that was done as part of the retrofit of the ride which took out many effects in the theaters.

I think it would be prudent to find out more of the story before we perform our mass suicide over declining by degrees of drapes.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Rock Star Minion

Didn't collector's cards for the DL 40th Anniversary boost the AP sales, contributing heavily to the current demographic of the park? Is that what TDO is hoping for, a load (say 200K or so? Not sure it would be as big a dent there as it is here) of local AP holders to gum up the works?

As for the rest of your article, I now have absolutely no desire to go to WDW. Everyone else can enjoy "the magic." My family and I will stay home, maybe go somewhere else.
    Last edited by sediment; 02-14-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Or how do we know the drapes aren't returning?
    I never made the assumption that they aren't returning. But with so many of them out of commission at one time, it does appear that Disney has made the decision that these aren't important to any given attraction, and aren't worth keeping working. I'm not about to kill myself over this, nor am I about to cancel my upcoming WDW trip in 2 weeks. But I see these drapes as important elements of several shows. And the fact that all of them aren't working at the same time is cause for concern.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I never made the assumption that they aren't returning. But with so many of them out of commission at one time, it does appear that Disney has made the decision that these aren't important to any given attraction, and aren't worth keeping working
    Where are all these out of commission drapes you speak of? The situation in question is simply Philharmagic.

UoE is mentioned in the article, but UoE's were removed over 15 years ago as part of it's reimaging to Ellen. Which was done BEFORE Philharmagic. So UoE's change was representative of a larger belief.. why would they have put even more complex drapes Philharmagic?

Edit: Sorry, forgot he also mentioned one of the other theaters. But the UoE link doesn't really mean much except reenforce the stupidity of most of the reimaging of most of EPCOT in the 90s.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast