Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: 2/21: A Sense of Place

Awesome article. My only nitpick... 1920s, or '20s. Not 1920's or 20's. :P

• Returning to DL 2/29

I am happy to seen that their looking into Tommorowland for new rides, It's been awhile and Tommorowland is aging and needs an uplift, the 1950/60s Space Era look is cool and all but Innoventions is just a bore, and Autopia is just a gas guzzling ride. What I would like to see is the People Mover be done into something. There is so much potential in Tommorowland but it is just wasted. Tommorowland Park is one of the ideas I liked and more Sparkle like that should be brought over to this land...
    I'm back and now what!

followme on Twiiter @hurricanefreak

I think I'm in love with Mary Niven! :0
    Adding a second cast member to a low capacity attraction to give a live spiel? That just rocks. It will make such a difference in the charm of the park.

My only hesitancy of BV street is that it will compete and seem too much like a rip-off of Main St. But thinking of all of the other Disney parks, streets as the first Act just seem to work. They can't seem to be able to figure out any other type of entrance, save for AK with its trails. DCA and EPCOT both tried the entrance plaza, and in both cases it just didn't/doesn't work. The only thing saving EPCOT's is that the weiny is so huge and so close. So it will be interesting to see how these two streets hopefully complement each other and not compete or take away from each other.

Thanks for the great update Al! I appreciate the attention the detail, and covering the ops side of the house. Reading your posts are always a great way to start the day.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTour View Post
    As for the Carthay's restaurant; I am still befuddled that DCA does not have a Brown Derby Restaurant. The one in Florida is INCREDIBLE. This is a much needed attraction in Anaheim.

I agree with this, but haven't a clue where to put it.

I also, am hoping that chef Sutton's menu will feature some items from The Brown Derby - having a classic cobb salad prepared tableside would be a very cool feature and allow for something "showie" in the restaurant - having visited the original Brown Derby - may it rest in peace - many times, this would be a great homage to classic Hollywood.

• Banned User

Frontierland's expansion is delayed again for Tomorrowland? What's up with that? Tomorrowland will never be finished. To say it needs another update when Frontierland ranch should have get at least one upgrade to an attraction is a big disappointment. Maybe it will never be done.

Not sure what to think about Carthay. It sounds like another upscale eating establishment that will bite the dust in a few months, but I'm not willing to place the bet against it. Who knows if it will succeed. I think it will be less than 50% chance. I have never eaten in a table service restaurant in DCA. I have no urgency.

Back to the unruly patron at the Tower of Terror, I don't get why they have so many rules that their guests have to follow. Then their own employees are a bunch of idiots with their pepper spray cans where there are no guidelines in their use. A disabled guy with a clearly marked card should be given the benefit of the doubt. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Thanks for the great update, Al! It's almost overwhleming how much change is coming in the next year or so.

You did use the words "Great Big Beautiful" when talking about future Inno/Autopia area changes...please don't get our hopes up for CoP!
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Registered Member

Great article, I wish I could be there for the DCA re-launch.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

• Disneyman

So Indy and Big Thunder are scheduled to go down this Fall, eh? Anyone have any idea exactly when that is supposed to take place? I can't imagine that they'd be closed before the Halloween overlay because that would put the Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, and Indy all down at the same time. Honestly, that's half the fun right there.

And yes, I realize Al said Big Thunder would go down in late August, which is why I can't see Indy going down until sometime after the Holiday overlay for Halloween.
    "It's fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

Autopia and Tomorrowland Speedway could easily be reconfigured in a spirit complimentary to what was done at Test Track. Next generation, host-branded electric cars would be designed to take advantage of a new, more compact track layout. A given manufacturer could log millions of nostalgia-laced impressions (and miles) as families pilot the 1/4 scale concept vehicles around the track.

Autopia was a product of mid-century design - with large, sprawling open spaces peppered with signature plantings and architecturally-interesting centerpieces. I believe this very pure aesthetic, which is clearly still associated with opening day, needs to be preserved even as it is updated. Autopia is the place where millions of guests "drove" their first car - usually sitting alongside someone very special. The experience hasn't changed for adults, who are now bringing their own children and grandchildren to the parks.

Tomorrowland Speedway looks much smaller than Autopia (at least from 800' up), and I wonder if Autopia, which used to have two queues, could be halved in size without sacrificing it too much?

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Frontierland's expansion is delayed again for Tomorrowland? What's up with that? Tomorrowland will never be finished. To say it needs another update when Frontierland ranch should have get at least one upgrade to an attraction is a big disappointment. Maybe it will never be done.

Not sure what to think about Carthay. It sounds like another upscale eating establishment that will bite the dust in a few months, but I'm not willing to place the bet against it. Who knows if it will succeed. I think it will be less than 50% chance. I have never eaten in a table service restaurant in DCA. I have no urgency.

Back to the unruly patron at the Tower of Terror, I don't get why they have so many rules that their guests have to follow. Then their own employees are a bunch of idiots with their pepper spray cans where there are no guidelines in their use. A disabled guy with a clearly marked card should be given the benefit of the doubt. Of course, this is just my opinion.
    While I understand the disappointment regarding the Frontierland expansion delay, I do understand where Disney is coming from. While, yes, Tomorrowland will always be evolving (heck the whole park will be), the land as a whole is in dire need of help, not just a single attraction. Frontierland as it currently stands can still stand on its own two feet pretty solidly. Tomorrowland, on the other hand, as a whole looks tired, dated, and has a mish-mash (sp?) of attractions that don't fully bring the land together in a cohesive manner. I believe 100% once the "new" Tomorrowland is finished that Frontierland will begin to get the attention it deserves.

That's my two cents.

• Infinitized!

Hoping good things come to Tomorrowland that make us look once again towards the future. Looking forward to Al's reports at the end of this year with the news about new things coming to Disneyland.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    For example, diners in the restaurant, or drinkers in the lounges, will be treated to some of the most impressive tableside performance art in the Disney empire. Not content to just offer the typical flambé dessert or a tossed Caesar salad tableside, the Carthay Circle team will also be offering hand-crafted martinis and cocktails served tableside from small performance carts. Ordering a cocktail at the Carthay Circle lounge this summer means the customer will be presented with a choice of not just top shelf liquor in gleaming Carthay Circle barware, but also with an ice-cube menu (perfectly squared, round, shaved, or chipped?), various artisanal bitters and mixers made with organic herbs and spices, and finished with small batches of stuffed gourmet olives trucked in regularly from Santa Barbara. If you want an appetizer to go with that hand-crafted artisanal martini, you’ll be choosing from trendy dishes like a Korean roast duckling kimchee plate, or more typical fare like Kobe’ beef sliders a la’ Morton’s. And that’s just downstairs in the public bar.
    When I saw this I was floored! You can't even get service like this at Club 33... EVER! Yet another reason for Club members to ask Club 33 management where the value is in membership.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Disneyland fan!

Thanks Al, I always love your articles! I can't wait to see Buena Vista Street!
    Gullywhumper is back on the Rivers of America!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Awesome article. My only nitpick... 1920s, or '20s. Not 1920's or 20's. :P
    Al is incredibly apostrophe challenged. He mistakes plural's for word's that need apostrophe's. It's a long standing fault, but like all of us maybe he can improve if we gently remind him.

Other than that, great update!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast