Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3/2: Leap Story

Re: 3/2: Leap Story

Isn't it interesting how many people are choosing to focus on one side or the other, often completely ignoring or discounting the possibility that what they experienced, heard about, or are choosing to fixate on is not the only way it was that day (and especially, night)?
    Check out my blog Faith and the Magic Kingdom! Finding and exploring illustrations, metaphors, examples and lessons for the Christian life found at the Magic Kingdom of Disneyland.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Belgarion42 View Post
    Isn't it interesting how many people are choosing to focus on one side or the other, often completely ignoring or discounting the possibility that what they experienced, heard about, or are choosing to fixate on is not the only way it was that day (and especially, night)?
    Well the story wasn't about the day - but the anarchy that followed it. The scale of the negative sure seems to be far more significant than the success of the early day.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    .... especially when it turns out you were right.
    This should be written in the topiaries outside Disney office buildings around the world.

• I miss my Disney

Time and time again it is proven that the DLR folks have it right while the WDW brass have no clue regarding DLR. DLR management need to stand up and demand autonomy... there are numerous examples to back their demand.
    Permanecer sentados por favor.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by RetlawInMyBlood View Post
    Time and time again it is proven that the DLR folks have it right while the WDW brass have no clue regarding DLR. DLR management need to stand up and demand autonomy... there are numerous examples to back their demand.
    Parks and Rec run the show - not WDW.

Disney Parks isn't a WDW initiative or mandate.. it's from above them.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• I miss my Disney

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Parks and Rec run the show - not WDW.

Disney Parks isn't a WDW initiative or mandate.. it's from above them.
    I was referring to the fact that not all decisions are "local", but instead from Florida management.
    Permanecer sentados por favor.

Bravo on the article!

Boo on the exceptionally poor management for OMDD! TDA and "Disney Parks" are absolutely lucky that no worst-case-scenario happened in those 24-plus hours (the night hours waiting before to get in, and the morning after hour to drive out).

Fingers crossed they learn from this and plan accordingly for June. Or at the very least will be able to adapt for future events that attract hordes and hordes (... and hordes) of DLR fans.

I was there from 10:15AM to 6:00AM and I had a blast until about 8:00PM when DCA closed and they all came to DL. After that, the crowds were enormous but well-behaved (at least in the Tiki Birds). I sort of just wandered around, though I did ride JC and visit Tarzan's.

I had no idea how crowded it was outside the park; it never occurred to me that there were still people trying to get in after midnight.

I did manage to ride ST twice, with different beginnings, different endings but the same middle. It was 6AM when I was waiting at the boarding gate. I said, "It's 6AM! We made it!" After that, I headed out to Main Street and experienced the classiest thing I've ever seen CMs do, and that was high-fiving us all as we exited.

I hope they do it again at New Year's Eve.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• DLR local yokel

Those numbers are eye-popping. I am not here to pile on, spread blame, or point out inconsistencies, but my visit that evening was the first time I had a sense of fear from the CM's inability to control the crowds.

I was surprised how large the masses were. I really didn't know what to expect, but I reasoned with myself that it shouldn't have been unexpected. I really don't care who calls the shots for staffing, that night after DCA closed was dangerous and there should be sighs of relief of how close that event came to becoming tragic due to shortages.

My viewpoint comes from arriving at 7pm until leaving at 11:30p. I don't want to add anything anecdotal, but I agree the event was a good idea, just poorly planned and executed. I believe the article touches on that.

In contrast, the next day at 10:30am was quite pleasant. I give credit to the parks employees to turn around and reset that quickly. Evidence of what had happened hours before still existed, only minimally.

I do hope there are lessons learned from this event. An acknowledged lack of staff is a dangerous fact to let loose in media releases.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    This is the challenge/downside of the annual pass program. It makes it very hard to control and/or predict what will happen when they do a special event such as this.
    It is but one of many problems caused by the AP Program....

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Hindsight is of course 20/20, but it sounds like this should have been handled like the Halloween parties - set an attendance cap and make it a hard-ticket event.
    Maybe every day should be a hard-ticket event....

Just think how much money was lost when 60000 non-paying guests arrived.
    Or, we can just do the math: 60000*80 = $4,800,000.
    For one day. Was that much PROFIT made on the sale of food and souvenirs? I doubt it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    It is but one of many problems caused by the AP Program....

Maybe every day should be a hard-ticket event....

Just think how much money was lost when 60000 non-paying guests arrived.
    Or, we can just do the math: 60000*80 = $4,800,000.
    For one day. Was that much PROFIT made on the sale of food and souvenirs? I doubt it.
    And that, as they say, is Q.E.D.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Belgarion42 View Post

I hardly think that describing ones experience having ACTUALLY BEEN THERE can be considered unfair. Unless you are saying that people are lying. But guess what? They aren't. I've seen Disneyland in every single facet possible, from private parties to special events to ticketed events to new years eve... And I have NEVER seen the total craziness that I saw on the 29th.

They were grossly, some would say dangerously, unprepared for such madness. The rather brazen public drug use (including crystal meth being smoked alongside the pot smokers) had even myself pause to process what I was in fact winessing. It was just a matter of people totally taking advantage of the fact that security couldn't actually get in the park or do anything about it, simply because there was no physical way to monitor such crowds or dispatch enough security to deal with it. Because you couldn't move. Because it took an hour to walk from the haunted mansion to the front gate.

I never said my experience was what everyone experienced, but it IS my experience. The crowds being the most Disneyland has ever had are just facts. My video I posted to YouTube doesn't show the whole picture (what kind of dumb thing is that to say? How could any video capture an entire 24 hour event?) but it does most certainly capture that moment in time illustrating the tsunami of people which choked and paralyzed little Disneyland in a way that has never been seen before.

Was I glad I went? You betcha! Did I still have fun? Most definitely! But to say there weren't enormous problems with crowds is to pull a press release of the highest order of doody.

Quote Originally Posted by kayoss View Post
    I hardly think that describing ones experience having ACTUALLY BEEN THERE can be considered unfair. Unless you are saying that people are lying. But guess what? They aren't. I've seen Disneyland in every single facet possible, from private parties to special events to ticketed events to new years eve... And I have NEVER seen the total craziness that I saw on the 29th.

They were grossly, some would say dangerously, unprepared for such madness. The rather brazen public drug use (including crystal meth being smoked alongside the pot smokers) had even myself pause to process what I was in fact winessing. It was just a matter of people totally taking advantage of the fact that security couldn't actually get in the park or do anything about it, simply because there was no physical way to monitor such crowds or dispatch enough security to deal with it. Because you couldn't move. Because it took an hour to walk from the haunted mansion to the front gate.

I never said my experience was what everyone experienced, but it IS my experience. The crowds being the most Disneyland has ever had are just facts. My video I posted to YouTube doesn't show the whole picture (what kind of dumb thing is that to say? How could any video capture an entire 24 hour event?) but it does most certainly capture that moment in time illustrating the tsunami of people which choked and paralyzed little Disneyland in a way that has never been seen before.

Was I glad I went? You betcha! Did I still have fun? Most definitely! But to say there weren't enormous problems with crowds is to pull a press release of the highest order of doody.

I'm very glad you had a fun and that you were glad you went.

I considered not responding beyond that, but I have chosen to do so anyway. The majority of your response is a good example of why I generally do not engage on forums such as these. For one thing, I did not say that one who was there describing his/her experiences was unfair; I said that overgeneralizing one's experiences to a categorical description of the entire event was unfair. The post of mine you quoted was a rhetorical question pointing out that people who experienced one thing seem to be disinclined to recognize that others may have had a different experience and the entire event did not consist only of what they experienced. I had a great time and did not experience much of the bad behavior people described. I do not dispute that it happened; I have no doubt it did. I can only say that I did not personally witness it. I have seen many others (not necessarily you, but others), however, complain about how bad it was and call the event a total disaster, a failure, and that there was nothing good about it at all. That is what I was getting at with that question.

Also, I did not intend to imply that a 28-second video should show the whole picture, I said that it could not, but using it as "proof" (as seemed to be the intent) that the entire event was "madness" overstates the case. It was unnecessary and inflammatory to call it "a dumb thing to say." Then you ask how any video could capture the entire 24 hour event. Obviously that is impossible as stated. However, what about a 20-minute video compiled from footage shot in various locations shot throughout the 24 hour period and edited to show a balanced perspective of what it was like in various places and at various times through the event. That would have been very representative of the whole picture. Alternatively (or additionally) specifying that the posted video was intended to show a single point in time and that many other times were not that way at all would have achieved a similar outcome.

I did not say there were no problems with crowds, and to say I did is putting words in my mouth. I haven't heard anyone claim that, in fact (though they may be out there). To say or imply that I did is inaccurate.

As you did, I had fun, and I was glad I went. I hope that if they do something like this again they keep many of the things that worked well and revisit the problem areas to improve upon them and make the experience even better for as many people as possible.
    Check out my blog Faith and the Magic Kingdom! Finding and exploring illustrations, metaphors, examples and lessons for the Christian life found at the Magic Kingdom of Disneyland.

• no YOU shut up!

Blog Entries

When I first noticed that the APs weren't blocked out, I had predicted pandemonium. But the extent of it was beyond what I had imagined. I had guessed that everyone would start coming to the parks after business hours (which held true) and leave as the early morning hours came on (everyone has to work the next day, right?). Unfortunately, nobody seemed to be leaving! I monitored the chatter on Twitter and other chat boards to make up my mind about whether I should go myself... I kept watch until about 3am and after the horror stories (not just inside the parks, but outside as well) I opted to stay home.

Regardless of what Disney did/did not predict for the attendance, they certainly did not let on that anything was other than "business as usual" for most of their employees and contractors. My father was working on the CarsLand expansion at was at DCA that day - it took him more than an hour to get out of the park (using Cast Member/Crew exits) and an hour more to get out of the local area at 10pm. The streets were so backed up that even neighborhoods were crammed full of cars (people thought they could find a back way to exit and failed). He said that if he had known what the situation was outside, he would have advised his employees to take their time leaving work or taken everyone to dinner to delay and let the traffic lighten up.

I would, personally, not have enjoyed myself in such a crush of people. The photos and videos of the emergency exits being opened to help let people out was enough to convince me. What if there had been a TRUE emergency? With the security and staff on-hand unable to cope with a deteriorating crowd, the police stymied by playing security, and the streets completely congested to emergency traffic... I am glad that I wasn't there.

Leap Day: A Castmember's perspective

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyContinent View Post
    I think disney severely underestimates its adult and young adult demographic. At 2 am we waited for an hour to ride Peter Pan - not a kid in sight.
    That's because the kids do not generally ride Peter Pan. It's true -- on all Grad Nites, Pan is a short line. It's a weird phenomenon, but we figure it's because it is a short ride. Conversely, they line up for Small World in droves.

I work as a Fantasyland ride operator, and I was there from 9:00pm-6:00am, and I would say 80% of the people that went through my lines that night (the Teacups/Carrousel/Snow White rotation) were young adults. Drunk young adults, if I'm being honest. But, we survived, and it's actually pretty fun to tell the stories now, even if we were not expecting it at all. I didn't notice any pot-smoking, but its harder to get away with that in Fantasyland than in some of the more open areas.

It was a Wednesday night during the off-season. There was no "extra" draw like pretty lights or a special party. There was really no reason to believe it would explode like it did. Riding Teacups at 3am is EXACTLY the same as riding it at 9pm. As castmembers just discussing it amongst ourselves, and knowing "real" guest patterns as we do, we figured there would be some Saturday-night crowds until about 1am, then it would die out like it does after fireworks. Not at all prepared for what I saw. Who knew so many people would blow off their jobs just to say they were at DL at 4am? That said, I thought the guests were fine. There are normally a few angry ones even on a regular day, so I found most people to be just as pleasant as any other time. I know I tried to keep my smile for them as much as I could, but they did challenge me because I was working the "baby rides" and many of the younger guests felt that this meant that safety precautions were unnecessary for those rides, so I had to deal with a lot standing up in the Teacups, hanging upside down off of Carrousel horses, etc. It was pretty crazy, and I had to do a lot of ride stops.

Also, the GAC (guest assistance card) lines were RIDICULOUS. I think Disneyland might want to re-consider their policy for giving those out, because while I understand that people have disabilities that aren't necessarily identifiable by looking at them, there is a LOT of abuse happening in that area. I'm not sure what the solutions are, but something needs to go down because it is seriously hindering efficiency.

But, all of us who worked over night did get "third shift" pay, and to thank us for dealing with the unexpected circumstances, they gave us all a free meal at the staff cafeterias. But really, it's just kind of fun to talk with the other castmembers about all the goofy shenanigans that happened that night, so there wasn't a whole lot of complaining. It was something to see.

Thanks for letting me vent, a month later!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast