Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3/2: Leap Story

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

3/2: Leap Story

SPECIAL: Historic numbers and historic problems. Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Leap Story - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 3/2: Leap Story

Thank you for the story Al!

Great story!!! Sounds like Disneyland's top management owes a huge thank you to the dedication of their staff. Hope they get a day (or week!) to recover!

Question: Any idea of what the previous attendance record was? Or when the park was last closed due to selling out of tickets+AP overload? Just curious! thanks!

• When Will It Return?

Tell your grandkids, show your grandkids...

106,000. Wow. I'm still a bit in disbelief not only that it happened, but that I was there to see it.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• will-o-the-whip

Were APs able to get into the overnight without a blackout ticket purchase? If so, then next time Disney should make the APs pay the blackout price (still $40, right?), and that should lessen the crowd a bit. In any case, it just goes to show that SoCal-ers love their Disneyland and the suits should pay notice to that fact.

• dream out loud

Thanks for getting us the real story, Al! If anyone wants to get some first hand accounts, check out Disneyland's Facebook page where they posted a picture and asked, "What's your favorite One More Disney Day Memory?" The thread is literally flooded with comments from frustrated guests - on their own Facebook page!! Get there fast, I can't imagine Disney will leave that up much longer.@Indiana Jack - $40 blackout admission??? Thanks for the laugh. :-D The going price is $59 or $60.

Thanks Al...an interesting read. I happened to catch live helicopter shots on KABCs 11PM news Wednesday night. They showed the 5 and streets around the park.....glad I wasn't there.

• Banned User

Interesting to read that Orlando blew it for Disneyland. There needs to be more local control.

I'm glad I didn't go. Who needs a headache of this sort? I find it amazing that people want to remember the event by buying merchandise, but it isn't anything special as far as I can tell.

• Workin to live,lovin life

I still don't get how they were understaffed when they knew this was coming for months... not like the idea of the 24 hour day was thought of on February 28th, 2012.Something's wrong with their communication. Any Disneyland fan knows that people come out in hordes to events like these. It's not like they didn't advertise it either!

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless Abrandon View Post
    I still don't get how they were understaffed when they knew this was coming for months... not like the idea of the 24 hour day was thought of on February 28th, 2012.Something's wrong with their communication. Any Disneyland fan knows that people come out in hordes to events like these. It's not like they didn't advertise it either!
    I totally agree with you. How could management not see this coming. I could have told them what the crowds would have been like weeks ago.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

^Al said that the marketing team that planned this is based Orlando. Therefore they make the assumption, erroneously, that the DLR is the same as WDW. Come on, Disney. When are you going to learn that no matter how much you would like the DLR to be a WDW West, it never has been and it never will be. To be honest, Disneyland has woven itself into the fabric and culture of Southern California so much so that most Southern Californians consider it a part of their lives - a gathering place in an area where there are so few. The DLR is almost a physical part of the landscape in their minds -- not just a tourist trap or something that can be arbitrarily taken away. Disney is trying to control something that has become a powerful cultural institution, and other than closing the place down there is not a lot they can do to change this in the minds of the collective conscious.

A very positive, upbeat article about a night that was in essence chaos for guests. Granted, the GenY that made up 80% of the population was fine with it; they're not the hardcore insane fans that some of the rest of us are and didn't care to see the park desecrated to a point of almost emergency. But as long as TDA sees great numbers, they're not gonna go out of their way to interview any CMs who were forced to endure insane conditions for 8 bucks an hour!

I'm glad they tried it, but I for one learned my lesson to NEVER attend a special event on a non-blackout day, EVER again.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

I'm surprised that this article has such a positive and/or neutral spin. Based on what I'm reading in all the threads, the night was 100% misery.

Good, of course, in terms of cash-flow (kudos to D on that one, you can't argue with numbers, of course!), but I'm surprised that this article really has no mention of the rowdy kids in attendance, the rampant alcohol use and drug use out in the open.

My friend and I thought it would be an easy trip down and had Blue Bayou reservations at 10pm, but I'm very very glad that we were feeling a little under the weather and cancelled early on in the day. I can't describe the frustration I would have had by not even getting into the park for our dinner reservations and then dealing with all that pot smoke on top of that (I'm all for you doing whatever outside of the park, but the smell just makes me ill and is NOT something I'm okay with encountering at Disneyland).

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    A very positive, upbeat article about a night that was in essence chaos for guests.
    ...And a night that was a win-win for Disney Parks® management: humongous sales of food and merch, cheap labor costs thanks to understaffing; frontline CMs take the heat from disgruntled guests while suits sleep dreaming of big bonuses; morning-after PR spin makes it sound like everything was hunky-dory... hey, what's not to love?
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-02-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Didn't think it was misery at all. I was there for all 24 hours of it and had a great time. Sure there was a few things that could have been done better. But, I'd do it again.
    Mike

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast