• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

3/15: On Target?

Kevin has part two of a new Fantasyland photo tour. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: On Target? - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• will-o-the-whip

Re: 3/15: On Target?

It seems the new version is less themed than the old version, that's pretty disappointing. So far I'm not too impressed with the new FL.

• Circle of Ancients

As I said in the other article, I'm actually ok with this. If you look at the ground, there is a LOT of planting that went on. Once that all grows in it will look quite nice IMO.

Remember, this is a "soft opening" and things are always subject to change.

• Pilot EdForceOne

what I saw of dumbo initiatally was the details have changed from loose airy things.. to more solid, condensed things. So no more dangling hanging items, but more detail in the structure itself, etc. It's like one wearing a lot of jewelry, and the other just having better makeup.

Barnstormer and the general area itself and the train station look leaps and bounds above what was there before. Given this is basically just a reskinning of existing.. I think it looks great. It will be curious to see what the new Dumbo queue really holds.. and pray that just because this can operate without it.. doesn't give Disney a simple out to punt and just go back to normal lines. Kind of like the additions to pooh were so easily punted on because they weren't core/essential to operation.

I just hope they keep the new details and effects WORKING. The art style in Goofy alone is great IMO.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

It all looks grand and everything, but MAN does the MK have a lot of FastPass attractions!!
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Not a Crook

I know some people are disappointed with the slight reduction in theming, but really, there wasn't that much there to begin with. We lost the barn and the chickens, but the Great Goofini elements in the ride and queue look great. I find them a lot more attractive and clever than the pun plants that used to be the ride's queue.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

It is a bit sad that most of the theme is in the queue rather than the ride itself. And folks are going to be mighty upset waiting in that long line, due to Fastpass (totally unnecessary for this attraction). Especially since the ride itself is about 30 seconds long.

This attraction is most certainly the weak link in new Fantasyland.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    It is a bit sad that most of the theme is in the queue rather than the ride itself. And folks are going to be mighty upset waiting in that long line, due to Fastpass (totally unnecessary for this attraction). Especially since the ride itself is about 30 seconds long.
    Yet people still wait that long to get on Dumbo.. and it's short and barren too. Yet that is seen by many as a treasure.. not a liability.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    This attraction is most certainly the weak link in new Fantasyland.
    Agreed. Anyone that says that the ride itself is better (themed) than it used to be is fooling themselves. The barn and chickens were the highlight of the former incarnation of this 30 second ride and now they are gone. The ride experience itself is suffered IMO.

That being said, obviously Disney was not going to put a lot of money or effort into this ride because it is not one of the main attractions of the new land. And it is beautifully decorated and landscaped, as others have stated. Once the entire land has been finished this ride will be barely noticed. It's too bad that Disney had to open it under a magnifying glass in an unfinished land.

• Banned User

Barnstormer is such a short ride, it is obvious that it was built to increase ride capacity by dressing up an off-the shelf ride with a Disney character. It is similar in looks to Goofy's sky school in DCA, another ride I have never bothered to ride despite having been to the Disneyland Resort area hundreds of times.

At least the Goofini skin matches the rest of Storybook Circus Land now, so its not the sore thumb that it was. Nonetheless, the ride should one day be either greatly improved, or ripped out. Yeah, some guests probably like it, but given that Disney can do better, why not use the valuable real estate to build something a little more magical?

I am sure it would be possible to lengthen the ride by adding an indoor dark ride segment, maybe staged so that you're flying over a miniature version of Dumbo's circus. As Mickey's Toontown fair was supposed to be temporary, eventually Goofini will be replaced with something else.

• will-o-the-whip

Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    Agreed. Anyone that says that the ride itself is better (themed) than it used to be is fooling themselves. The barn and chickens were the highlight of the former incarnation of this 30 second ride and now they are gone. The ride experience itself is suffered IMO.
    I agree. The barns and chickens were the best part of the ride and they removed it without replacing it with something comparable. Just mind-boggling...