Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

3/16: All Aboard?

Kevin has part three of a new Fantasyland photo tour. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: All Aboard? - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Theme Park Paradise

Re: 3/16: All Aboard?

Here is the definition of Barnstorming from Wikipedia. It seems that the term "Flying Circus" is what is being applied. I can totally accept this as a plausible scenario in a cartoon based land.

Excerpted from Wikipedia

"Barnstorming was a popular form of entertainment in the 1920s in which stunt pilots would perform tricks with airplanes, either individually or in groups called a flying circus. Barnstorming was the first major form of civil aviation in the history of flight.[citation needed]
    The term barnstormer was also applied to pilots who flew throughout the country selling airplane rides, usually operating from a farmer's field for a day or two before moving on. "Barnstorming season" ran from early spring until after the harvest and county fairs in the fall."

Great photos! I love the train station and restrooms!

• Seasick

Nice to see a high level of effort and detail being put into the new land, something I've come to expect at Disneyland and NOT Walt Disney World in recent years.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• The one, the only...

I am really interested in how kids rect to it. It used to be that kids dreamed of running away and joining the circus. That time is well past. I think that the basic concept is not relatable to kids of today. Kingdoms and all that go with them hold up well for the audience of the twenty-first century, but circuses have disappeared. I just don't think that kids today really know what they are, or get excited to visit them. I think they were dead in the 1950's.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

The exit from the Fantasyland train station included a counter-service location in some of the early concept art, welcoming guests to Storybook Circusland with a variety of circus-themed snacks such as a Cracker-Jack type snack (of course with peanuts!), nachos, home-made style chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry icecream in special waffle cones, grilled corn on a stick, and beverages. You can see the unfinished I-beam jutting out of this part of the new train station (I am surprised that nobody commented on this), where a sign for Casey Jr. Treats can (will?) be hung, along with fake boxes hanging out on a pulley/rope. I don’t know what the menu would be now, or what they are going to finally put in there.

I must say that the entrance to Dumbo looks a lot less ornate than the concept work . . . the sharp pencils boys at work again.

I wonder if that one piece of track may be placed at the upcoming Casey Jr. water play area.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

I hate the use of stickers on all the trash cans these days. Then again it's much cheaper to print them up than have a talented painter apply the details directly. Such a shame. Same goes for all the signs, which these days are clearly computer-created.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

The new costumes remind me of the winged monkeys in Wicked.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!

Color me unimpressed. I keep hearing it looks nice, but nothing about the actual attractions. We are getting nothing new with this circus. Sure, Dumbo is there, but we have had that spinner for 40 years now at WDW. As far as Barnstormer, seems like a downgrade from the original version with AA chickens and stuff. I really do not see why a kiddie coaster and a spinner are such a big deal to people.

I give them props, it looks good, but it seems that is where it stops. When you have Uni down the street trying to revolutionize the attractions they have, Disney gives us nothing new and repackages it and markets memories to its tourist base. I expect more from Disney than this.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Krankenstein View Post
    Color me unimpressed. I keep hearing it looks nice, but nothing about the actual attractions. We are getting nothing new with this circus. Sure, Dumbo is there, but we have had that spinner for 40 years now at WDW. As far as Barnstormer, seems like a downgrade from the original version with AA chickens and stuff. I really do not see why a kiddie coaster and a spinner are such a big deal to people.

I give them props, it looks good, but it seems that is where it stops. When you have Uni down the street trying to revolutionize the attractions they have, Disney gives us nothing new and repackages it and markets memories to its tourist base. I expect more from Disney than this.
    yes its all stuff that was already there before going in this land.....except for the new dumbo with the water feature that totally changed the experience.....and the next gen queue for dumbo.....and the casey jr water play area, and pete's silly circus attraction, and a huge upgrade on the train station, and the new unique qs dining coming in. yep all there before.

Hi Krankenstein; I find the themeing truly impressive but I do see your point. I think that no matter what Walt Disney World does right now, it's not gonna compare to the Wizard.

---------- Post added 03-17-2012 at 01:06 PM ----------

I happen to be a railfan and am impressed by the themeing of the restrooms at the new Fantasyland train station. But that said, do you all hear the new potty jokes on the horizon about where they store the trains at night?

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    yes its all stuff that was already there before going in this land.....except for the new dumbo with the water feature that totally changed the experience.....and the next gen queue for dumbo.....and the casey jr water play area, and pete's silly circus attraction, and a huge upgrade on the train station, and the new unique qs dining coming in. yep all there before.
    Dumbo, same... water hardly changes it to me (kinda sad that all the other Dumbos around the world except Tokyo have had water under them for YEARS now), at the end of the day it is still a spinner. Next gen queue... we have no idea what it is yet. Might be good, but we will have to see (althought I hate all the next gen queues I have seen so far). Water Play area was their before... Remember Donald's Boat? Pete's Silly Circus, I heard that was a meet and greet location and nothing more, which, if true, we had in the Judge's Tent. QS? we shall see what it is, but that hardly makes it new. It is dining that MK needs after it has shuttered many places to eat. Food is not something to be hyped about in my book. Train Station was there, the only thing that is different is the bathrooms and it has a lot more place making, which is exactly what I said in my first post. Heck, you even said the Train Station was an upgrade, thusly meaning nothing new, just a plus.

Like I said, it looks REALLY good, I am not complaining about that. I think they missed a shot and doing something great by not putting a NEW attraction back there. Something like the old Mickey's Madhouse concept would've been great.

Opinions differ, but sarcasm will hardly make me see your point.
    Last edited by Krankenstein; 03-17-2012 at 04:03 PM.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I've seen posts from people who don't like the new uniforms, and I just don't understand their objections. I think they look terrific!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I've seen posts from people who don't like the new uniforms, and I just don't understand their objections. I think they look terrific!
    I love the tops, but the cut of the pants makes them look a little silly. Not a big deal, just not as sharp as they could have looked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast